Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hilton Lima Miraflores

Hilton Lima Miraflores
Ave. La Paz 1099, Miraflores, Lima, 18, Peru
TEL: 51-1-200-8000
HHonors Category 6

Hotel is designated as totally nonsmoking, and is close to both Miraflores and Barranco, as well as the Larcomar area and shopping mall. About 40 minutes to LIM / Jorge Chavez International Airport if there are no traffic jams, the coastal road is often a more traffic-light approach. Near Paseo de la República and cross streets are between Calle 28 de Julio and Calle Manco Capac.

Head Concierge is knowledgeable, helpful and friendly. You can e-mail Juan Rolando sing the usual Hiltin e-mail protocols.

Executive Lounge on floor 11 with extended hours, two computer / Internet stations, free WiFi and concierge services, cappuccino / espresso machine. The lobby floor concierges are the best equipped to help you.
  • Breakfast: 6:30-11:00
  • Light lunch: 12:00 - 3:00 pm
  • Afternoon snacks: 3:00 - 6:00 pm
  • Light dinner: 6:00 - 9:00 pm
  • Open bar: 6:00 - 9:00 pm
  • Closing: 10:00 pm
Diamonds have lounge access. Diamonds generally must take breakfast in the lounge; restaurant breakfast is extra unless your rate includes breakfast (award stays do not, even for Diamonds - it's a decent, not stellar, lounge breakfast.

Also on the 11th floor are a horizon pool and two Jacuzzi spas, fitness room.

Rooms equipped with 37" HD televisions behind a black glass wall section and contemporary, stylish furnishings.

Though the property is reasonably soundproof, many Limeños tend to use their horn / hooter to communicate. The lower the floor, the more you'll hear horns, sirens, etc. (10th floor seems to be the highest for rooms).

Facilities include 24 hour room service, a lobby bar (11:00 am -12 midnight) and a restaurant open 6:30 am - 11:00 pm every day.

ATM / cash machine in lobby, small fee for use (~ S/ 14 or so).

Be aware: Room rates incur (28%) taxes, service charges, gratuities or incidental charges. Other restrictions apply.

Complimentary "Premium" WiFi for Diamonds is not very premium. WiFi July 2015 stay: OOkla ping 6 ms, 1.85 mbps down, 2.87 Mbps up, Telefónica de Perú. I also experienced unpredictable brief periods of signal strength loss and dropouts in our 5th floor suite near the lifts / elevators; better WiFi in Executive Lounge and Lobby / bar area.

Transport to / from airport: The property can arrange a "Remisse" (chauffeured car) transfer to the hotel 24/7 from the CMV Remisse counter in arrivals at LIM - CMV Taxi Remisse Ejecutivo" (CMV charges the same USD $50 price - Mercedes 200 se car with suited chauffeur) from Domestic and International arrivals, local phones 517-1891 / 517-1892. Green Taxi (reported below) for PEN s/ 50.00 (because "no hay cambio" - there is no change - for a fifty sol bill, otherwise it's 45 ).

DINING plenty of nearby restaurants, even in the same building. Most lunch restaurants open at 12:30, some do not accept reservations. Peruvians usually fill popular places after 1:00 pm, and the restaurants may remain busy 'til 3:00 pm; show up close to 12:30 so you don't have to wait. Usually Chilean and Argentine wines are on offer.

Within the hotel:

Social Restaurant and Bar, upscale, popular at lunch with local businessmen - Lunch always offers a businessman's special on weekdays; the "Almuerzo Ejecutivo" is PEN or /S 49 for two courses with ~6 selections for each, PEN 59 if you add dessert. Open 0630 - 0100 daily, dining room and terrace.

Social Restaurant & Bar features an array of distinctive Peruvian-American fusion flavors, and provides you the opportunity to taste the acclaimed Peruvian national cocktail: Pisco Sour. After a delicious meal, unwind with a refreshing beverage at the bar, which opens onto a terrace at street level, filling the space with natural light and creating a pleasant alfresco atmosphere. The restaurant offers a new concept of four integrated atmospheres, including the dining area, terrace area, bar area, and private dining area.
Lobby Café, 0630 - 2300 daily.

Beyond:

(down Lá Paz toward 28 de Julio, out door to right, in order)

Social (hotel restaurant, terrace)

Amaz (Amazon basin cuisine, unique in Lima)

Papachos: (upscale burgers with fusion influences)

Ache: (Japanese and Japan-Peruvian fusion)

Los Cachiche: (Italian and Italo-Peruvian fusion)

to left out hotel door, ~two blocks:

Fiesta: Northern Peruvian cuisine, e.g. Goat stew, northern ceviche version, etc.)
Print Wikipost

Hilton Lima Miraflores {PER}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Is this the same fee which you are referring to which, as an example, all hotels in Thailand have? When you book a hotel there you will always see 10% service and 11% Tax as an example.
I've never been to Thailand so maybe it is the same fee. I've never had to pay a service fee in Lima before.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm thinking about complaining about the fee when I get there. I've had hotels waive the resort fee once in a when complaining but will feel bad complaining to the staff about a fee they benefit from.
Maybe congratulate every staff member you encounter on the new gratuities benefit and see what their response is.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
OP, I'm a bit confused by your post for a few reasons:
  1. Hotel service charges are commonplace in many countries and (rightly or wrongly) have been for some time now.
  2. I paid the same 10% service charge on my last stay at Hilton Lima Miraflores back in 2013.
FWIW, I doubt that this amount goes to the staff as a gratuity. I cynically believe that service charges are (unless specifically required by law) used to pad the room rate. Ultimately, what matters to me is the total amount I must pay (inclusive of all mandatory taxes and fees), and I choose hotels on that basis.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If ti's a points reservation, are you charged 10% in points, or nothing?

What if it's a free weekend night certificate?

The pain of 10% instead of flat is obvious, but the beauty of 10% is that it shouldn't apply if you pay no money. (Flat fees, on the other hand, can apply even on award reservations.)
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by mikew99
  1. Hotel service charges are commonplace in many countries and (rightly or wrongly) have been for some time now.
  2. I paid the same 10% service charge on my last stay at Hilton Lima Miraflores back in 2013.
FWIW, I doubt that this amount goes to the staff as a gratuity. I cynically believe that service charges are (unless specifically required by law) used to pad the room rate. Ultimately, what matters to me is the total amount I must pay (inclusive of all mandatory taxes and fees), and I choose hotels on that basis.
I've never seen a service charge before but most of my stays are in North American and Europe. I looked at the bill from my last stay in December of 2016 and wasn't charged this fee.

I would like to know if it is really being split between the staff. It makes a big difference on if I decide to tip the staff or not. It's like the baggage storage fee, if a hotel charges it and I find out it is going to the bell staff I don't tip them.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've never seen a service charge before but most of my stays are in North American and Europe. I looked at the bill from my last stay in December of 2016 and wasn't charged this fee.
This is quite common in Asia at the full line Hilton/Conrad properties (maybe others), and a reason I like using points there since you can't charge a % service fee on a $0 rate I'm staying at the Conrad Beijing later this month and their "service charge" is 16%

Originally Posted by mikew99
Based on your post I went back and looked, and I paid the 10% service charge at the Hilton Lima Miraflores in Sept 2016. So this is clearly not a new development.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
A service fee in lieu of gratuity at restaurants and hotels in Asia and much of Latin America is common at mid level hotels and higher.

Was the OP staying on points on the last visit?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
A service fee in lieu of gratuity at restaurants and hotels in Asia and much of Latin America is common at mid level hotels and higher.

Was the OP staying on points on the last visit?
I stayed here on money last visit, not points. I have seen service fees added in some restaurants instead of tips (or in places like Miami beach they still include a tip line on the charge slip and add in the service charge anyway). I can understand restaurants but 10 percent seems absurd for a hotel. I normally tip the maid or the bell staff if I ask them to hold my bags. If it's a restaurant they have a place on the chit for a tip.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch

The pain of 10% instead of flat is obvious, but the beauty of 10% is that it shouldn't apply if you pay no money. (Flat fees, on the other hand, can apply even on award reservations.)
I'm sure points stays they just waive the fee like a property does with the resort fee or it's build into the points rate. This property would be a poor use of a free night certificate seeing how cheap the rates were unless someone had a certificate that was about to expire and they need to use it.

For others who have paid this did you get points on this charge and did you pay tax on it? I don't understand why they just don't jack up the rate ten percent since they aren't exempting corporate rates from this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Platinum,
Originally Posted by sdsearch

I stayed a few nights on points in late December. There were no fees on top of points.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of weird a lima hotel is concerned with gratuities for all their employees, especially of that dollar amount, seeing it seems uncommon to tip a lot of people in Lima who you would normally tip in the US.

Almost every coffee house in the US has a tip jar and I don't remember seeing any at the coffee places I was at in Lima, including the Starbucks. It's common to tip tour guides here and when I did the water park tour in Lima I was the only one who tipped the guide and he seemed really surprised and grateful at the tip. I always tip my uber (unless it's a super high surge or the service was really awful) and taxi drivers here and in LIma the tip is included in the negotiated cab fare and my uber driver seemed really shocked when I gave him a tip. I also noticed no one was tipping bartenders.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Kind of weird a lima hotel is concerned with gratuities for all their employees, especially of that dollar amount, seeing it seems uncommon to tip a lot of people in Lima who you would normally tip in the US.

Almost every coffee house in the US has a tip jar and I don't remember seeing any at the coffee places I was at in Lima, including the Starbucks. It's common to tip tour guides here and when I did the water park tour in Lima I was the only one who tipped the guide and he seemed really surprised and grateful at the tip. I always tip my uber (unless it's a super high surge or the service was really awful) and taxi drivers here and in LIma the tip is included in the negotiated cab fare and my uber driver seemed really shocked when I gave him a tip. I also noticed no one was tipping bartenders.
If a company can offer a higher paycheck (including your gratuities), they can keep and retain better employees.

If you don’t like it, complain to them about it.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If a company can offer a higher paycheck (including your gratuities), they can keep and retain better employees.
That is true in other industries and part of “cost of doing business”. I don’t see airlines institute a mandatory service charge for the crew any time soon. My doctor collects a copay, but not a service charge for his staff.

It is admirable to offer competitive compensation to retain good employees. But don’t sell it to your customers as a fee (and hide it in competitive price comparisons, apparently thinking that your customers don’t need to know or care about the actual price)
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
That is true in other industries and part of “cost of doing business”. I don’t see airlines institute a mandatory service charge for the crew any time soon. My doctor collects a copay, but not a service charge for his staff.

It is admirable to offer competitive compensation to retain good employees. But don’t sell it to your customers as a fee (and hide it in competitive price comparisons, apparently thinking that your customers don’t need to know or care about the actual price)
I’m not saying that I particularly agree with it, but in low wage countries, it’s a common method.

One positive, is that in Peru, you don’t usually pay the expensive 18-19% sales tax, if you’re foreign resident.

Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:53 pm

I would like to know if it is really being split between the staff. It makes a big difference on if I decide to tip the staff or not. It's like the baggage storage fee, if a hotel charges it and I find out it is going to the bell staff I don't tip them.
Regret to advise that this kind of price gouging is quite common in many parts of the world - besides Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong etc. I have also come across it with Hiltons in Japan - where it can be as much as 12%. In Europe it is not so common because most of the EU has a legal requirement to display the final price to the consumer. However, like you, I do not like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.