Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Report your Diamond Suite Upgrade success here :)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report your Diamond Suite Upgrade success here :)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Hah, say that to most Golds, or to most Diamonds for that matter, who I am sure would be VERY curious to hear what properties you're staying at.
Sure. I keep a spreadsheet. Let me dig it up.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:22 pm

Hah, say that to most Golds, or to most Diamonds for that matter, who I am sure would be VERY curious to hear what properties you're staying at.
Hilton Anaheim - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims only 1-cat upgrade for Golds.
Doubletree Arlington - Suite. Requested at CI.
Hilton CVG - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Curio Miami Beach - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims rate difference has to be <$100.
Doubletree Monrovia - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Hilton Newark - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Hilton OKC - Suite. Upgraded before arrival.
Hampton Philadelphia - Suite. Proactively offered at CI.
Doubletree Pittsburgh - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims hosting wedding party.
Hilton Richmond - Suite. 2-night stay. Requested at CI.
Doubletree Rosemead - Suite. 2-night stay. Requested at CI.
Doubletree Santa Fe - Suite. Upgraded before arrival.
Doubletree Virginia Beach - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims hosting wedding party.

So it's 5/12 (42%) without the Hampton or 6/13 (46%) with. 3/7 (43%) when requested at CI.

22 stays and 27(?) nights last year. ~40k base points.

Granted the actually % could be much lower given that it's calculated on availability at CI, but still better than what I'm seeing on FT.

Last edited by jacobguo; Aug 15, 2017 at 4:30 pm
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Accor Gold BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Brandinho1
hoping one day I can only be so lucky. Out of curiosity did you stay here 1 night or multiple nights?
1 night only ((( Sat-Sun
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Hilton Anaheim - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims only 1-cat upgrade for Golds.
Doubletree Arlington - Suite. Requested at CI.
Hilton CVG - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Curio Miami Beach - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims rate difference has to be <$100.
Doubletree Monrovia - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Hilton Newark - No suite. No request, no upgrade.
Hilton OKC - Suite. Upgraded before arrival.
Hampton Philadelphia - Suite. Proactively offered at CI.
Doubletree Pittsburgh - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims hosting wedding party.
Hilton Richmond - Suite. 2-night stay. Requested at CI.
Doubletree Rosemead - Suite. 2-night stay. Requested at CI.
Doubletree Santa Fe - Suite. Upgraded before arrival.
Doubletree Virginia Beach - No suite. Requested at CI. Front desk claims hosting wedding party.

So it's 5/12 (42%) without the Hampton or 6/13 (46%) with. 3/7 (43%) when requested at CI.

22 stays and 27(?) nights last year. ~40k base points.

Granted the actually % could be much lower given that it's calculated on availability at CI, but still better than what I'm seeing on FT.
How do you go about asking? In the US I usually get a few a year if I'm lucky and most of my stays are only 1 night on a weekend so I doubt the hotels are full. I've had good luck in Canada but not so much in Japan/Singapore/Malaysia. All but one have been upgraded before arrival.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
How do you go about asking? In the US I usually get a few a year if I'm lucky and most of my stays are only 1 night on a weekend so I doubt the hotels are full. I've had good luck in Canada but not so much in Japan/Singapore/Malaysia. All but one have been upgraded before arrival.
I just ask "are there any upgrades available" as I hand over my ID. If no suite is offered I follow up with "any suites available?" If still no I just let it go and happily check-in to the room I payed for.

Hope this doesn't come off as DYKWIA.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:34 pm

Thanks for the honest and detailed data. You must have the magic touch - I've been using the same methodology as you (almost verbatim phrasing and sequencing) as a Diamond for several years now and can count on one hand the number of U.S. property suite upgrades I've received - including at some properties you name. For example at the Hilton Richmond, I very clearly recall an interaction with an FD agent who was arguing that suites were "sold out" when they were still selling them online. This escalated to a discussion with a manager who said that they reserved suites only for "regulars" (his wording).

Whatever you're doing, keep it up!

And after this year, I'm more than likely dropping to Gold (lots of spend went to SPG), but maybe now I won't feel so bad...this reinforces that there really is no functional difference between the two.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vvn1972
1 night only ((( Sat-Sun
Yeah seems to be the common theme when those who do get upgraded to the presidential suite. Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:55 pm

Thanks for the honest and detailed data. You must have the magic touch - I've been using the same methodology as you (almost verbatim phrasing and sequencing) as a Diamond for several years now and can count on one hand the number of U.S. property suite upgrades I've received - including at some properties you name. For example at the Hilton Richmond, I very clearly recall an interaction with an FD agent who was arguing that suites were "sold out" when they were still selling them online. This escalated to a discussion with a manager who said that they reserved suites only for "regulars" (his wording).

Whatever you're doing, keep it up!

And after this year, I'm more than likely dropping to Gold (lots of spend went to SPG), but maybe now I won't feel so bad...this reinforces that there really is no functional difference between the two.
Thanks! I'm guessing upgrades depends more on the agent you get (and their mood) than everything else. Not nessesarily a bad thing, especially for Golds, but I sure would like to see more consistency.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Got a wonderful suite upgrade at Conrad Bangkok during a four-day stay, two weeks ago. Excellent personnel.

On in the other hand, Hilton Singapotre was stingy as usual. Not even an upgrade to a better room.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: HH Diamond IHG Spire Amb MR PLAT
I stay at the Conrad Bangkok as Diamond and always get a nice suite upgrade only once in 30 plus stays i didn't and that was Christmas day last year they apologized and said that every room was booked with paid stays.
Hilton Sukhumvit i'm at about 40% upgrade to a bigger room i wouldn't call it a suite it's 2 rooms but not very big.
Doubletree Bangkok 2 stays no upgrade
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I just ask "are there any upgrades available" as I hand over my ID. If no suite is offered I follow up with "any suites available?" If still no I just let it go and happily check-in to the room I payed for.

Hope this doesn't come off as DYKWIA.
OK is ...
asking once, if no upgrade at checkin, thius we can all understand,

sorry, this is a both definitely pushy + DYKWIA checkin based on your post, asking again if no upgrade is fine BUT if upgrade then to non-suite and as only a HHG you push back once again, then sorry but you being toooo pushy

Suites upgrades are not part of HH-Gold, which is what you're profile states you are.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
OK is ...
asking once, if no upgrade at checkin, thius we can all understand,

sorry, this is a both definitely pushy + DYKWIA checkin based on your post, asking again if no upgrade is fine BUT if upgrade then to non-suite and as only a HHG you push back once again, then sorry but you being toooo pushy

Suites upgrades are not part of HH-Gold, which is what you're profile states you are.
Call me young and naive, but it definitely happens, and I won't be asking if I wasn't upgraded to a suite before CI on one of my first stays as Gold. Besides it never hurts to ask.

Last edited by jacobguo; Aug 17, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Call me young and naive, but it definitely happens, and I won't be asking if I wasn't upgraded to a suite before CI on one of my first stays as Gold. Besides it never hurts to ask.
+1 on the it never hurts to ask, because for me it is very rare I am upgraded before I check in at the FD as a Diamond. I always have the app ready if it is showing a suite that I could book in real time in case I am told they don't have any.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
So instead of being very greatfull as an newly minted HHG for a very unexpected extra nice Suite upgrade by an hotel instead of to the expected "normal room room/exec with lounge access", you then decide you are entitled to suite upgrade on all stays, and that any HH hotel not giving you an upgrade that is not a suite-upgrade is being unfair.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr
So instead of being very greatfull as an newly minted HHG for a very unexpected extra nice Suite upgrade by an hotel instead of to the expected "normal room room/exec with lounge access", you then decide you are entitled to suite upgrade on all stays, and that any HH hotel not giving you an upgrade that is not a suite-upgrade is being unfair.
Lol no. I never said that. You might want to retake high school English. Or it is because your fancy statuses (I hope they are not paid for by some company) clouded your eyes (and reading ability)?

If you're so upset with hotels not following rules perhaps you should tell them not to check me in in the first place since "minimum check-in age is 21".

Hope you're happy with your insults. I certainly am entertained with your butt-hurtedness.

Last edited by jacobguo; Aug 18, 2017 at 10:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.