Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 7:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by brp
I just did an online check-in for Bath City (rm. 330), and saw the same text about "upgrade upon arrival" if possible. Looking at booking and the these dates are not available, so it may not happen, and may be for legitimate reasons. Will report back after check-in to see how this all turns out

Cheers.
Checking back in. There was no upgrade available beyond the first night, and we were staying three. Inasmuch as no rooms were available at all (seems that the very lovely Christmas Market was just starting), i believed the young lady - who happened to be from about 50 miles away here in California.

Our room was nice, and faced a courtyard. Quite loud on weekend nights when the pubs closed....

Overall, this place was just OK. I had three main complaints, and I mentioned them at checkout (and also wrote them up):

The internet was shoddy. It repeatedly logged out, and it did not remember devices like a normal Hilton login does.

We got a free drink coupon. And I do realize it is free. But it listed no restrictions, so I went to get a drink for mrs. brp and myself. Mine happened no problem (Highland Park). When I ordered hers, a more "bar manager type" woman was there and indicated that I couldn't get the Cosmopolitan - only plebeian stuff. We ended up with something that mrs. brp didn't actually want. She was very nice, and it was free. When I mentioned it off-hand, I was told that they used to list restrictions, then decided to make it unlimited. Very minor.

Finally, as others have mentioned, the breakfast was mediocre. Tepid, dry eggs and the rest followed suit. A stark contrast to the offerings in the BA F lounge at LHR T3.

On the plus side, we got a pot of tea one afternoon. While we gave the room information, there was never a charge added.

The location was superb for all we wanted to do.

Cheers.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Very centrally located with a good car park underneath, which for 15 gbp is not bad for 24 hrs.
The underground car park is a nice thing to use on cold, frosty nights if you have an early start. I can't recall the exact pricing, but between something like 8pm and 8am the standard charge is about 50p per hour, so that block costs £6. With an hour or so of parking before or after that period also being quite cheap as it is also the short stay car park for Waitrose you can get overnight parking for around £10 at regular rates, saving £5 or so on the hotel's daily price.

Parking on single yellow lines is free after 6pm on Broad Street on yon side of Saracens Head and Pig & Fiddle pubs, and in Cattle Market car park next to hotel after 8pm (and if you buy say 3h at 6pm it'll roll over to give you an hour of paid parking from 8am when charging kicks in the next day). Same deal on Walcot Stteet paid bays with 7pm charge end.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
any tips on cheap parking in Bath ?

2 night stay, and could do without the car then. Hilton has a flat 25GBP rate for the duration of stay I believe. Heard Southgate might be cheaper, however oddly having trouble getting their website to load these few days.

Also how well does this Hilton treat Diamond ? And which rooms afford a good view ?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by wantan
any tips on cheap parking in Bath ?

2 night stay, and could do without the car then. Hilton has a flat 25GBP rate for the duration of stay I believe. Heard Southgate might be cheaper, however oddly having trouble getting their website to load these few days.

Also how well does this Hilton treat Diamond ? And which rooms afford a good view ?
My stays were generally one-nighters, and I used the cost saving measures in the above message so think I only paid the Hilton fee once. Based on how the staff run things I can see how if you left the car in the car park for the whole stay you would only get charged once, but as it suggests here that is effectively just paying the overstay "fine". If you take the car out and return you'll pay more.

Generally parking in Bath is hard work. It was when I lived there 25 years ago, and its worse now. I'd just go with the hotel offer.

I haven't stayed there for a couple of years, but found the Diamond treatment poor overall, and declining during my stays.

No great views really. River side is a bit nicer to look down on, unless you like people watching in which case other side can be fun. Plenty of passers-by at all hours. .

Great city though, so enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
My stays were generally one-nighters, and I used the cost saving measures in the above message so think I only paid the Hilton fee once. Based on how the staff run things I can see how if you left the car in the car park for the whole stay you would only get charged once, but as it suggests here that is effectively just paying the overstay "fine". If you take the car out and return you'll pay more.

Generally parking in Bath is hard work. It was when I lived there 25 years ago, and its worse now. I'd just go with the hotel offer.

I haven't stayed there for a couple of years, but found the Diamond treatment poor overall, and declining during my stays.

No great views really. River side is a bit nicer to look down on, unless you like people watching in which case other side can be fun. Plenty of passers-by at all hours. .

Great city though, so enjoy your trip.
Thanks ! Ended up with the Podium/Hotel parking and indeed the 25GBP charge is the same as "lost token".

Almost no diamond recognition apart from free breakfast. In fact, room given was twin (instead of double) and despite pointing this out was told nothing to be done as hotel was at capacity. No bathrobe, slippers, toothbrush or mini fridge in room

WiFi very poor and as pointed by another poster here, login required every few minutes. No drink vouchers offered either.

Was allocated a "Plaza Room" . Cleanliness in room & toilet definitely could be improved as dust and debris noticeable at 1st glance. Being a twin, 1 bed was acceptable another was sinking.

I would say the only thing going for this hotel would be the location. Have stayed at UK Hamptons which are friendlier, cleaner and more generous with perks.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Bumping in case of any recent stays?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Just checked out. Hugely disappointed by this stay. Check in is a ludicrous 4 pm whilst check out is 11am. No recognition of Diamond other than breakfast. Uncomfortable bed, tiny room, Lilliputian bathroom. Rates for a Saturday night £200-£300 pounds just ludicrous for what is no better than a HIX.
staff were fine as was breakfast but I had to wait for a table. I complained to the duty manager as politely as I could about the whole experience and when checking out was advised they would refund all my points, so the night was free.
For service recovery they get 5 stars but this ugly blight on the Bath landscape is very poor on multiple levels. I simply would not go back.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 12:31 pm

I spent quite a few nights here several years ago, and now am doing regular stays in Edinburgh. I think its a real shame that Hilton haven't managed to bring the range of properties and stay quality that they have there to Bath given that they sit similarly in the weekend away / tourist trail list. Cambridge Hilton is nice as well.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 5, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Old Nov 19, 2017, 2:23 pm

Stayed Sept. 2017. Also disappointed in the breakfast and lunch in the bar was expensive for not very good food. Room was not spacious but not tiny either. It is place to sleep where you can use HH points when rates are high, beds and furnishings perfectly fine, nothing wrong with the hotel, but it adds no charm to visiting Bath. Close location for walking to the sites and restaurants. It has parking in a city where parking is hard to find.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Stayed Sept. 2017. Also disappointed in the breakfast and lunch in the bar was expensive for not very good food. Room was not spacious but not tiny either. It is place to sleep where you can use HH points when rates are high, beds and furnishings perfectly fine, nothing wrong with the hotel, but it adds no charm to visiting Bath. Close location for walking to the sites and restaurants. It has parking in a city where parking is hard to find.
just a pointer that parking at South Gate is really easy and cheaper if you're moving the car daily ... about a 10/15 minute walk from Hilton Bath.

as other posters have pointed out, this is a Hilton only in name. Forget loyalty recognition, most rooms don't even come with a fridge, which I'm quite sure is supposed to be part of the brand standards.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
We had such a different experience I’m shocked! Except for the lousy beds – if we ever went back to bass, this would definitely be our go to except for the very uncomfortable bed. I think they’re just a piece of foam on top of a box spring.As far as everything else – the breakfast was amazing – you could have cooked to order breakfast, hot buffet and cold buffet with lots of items, and the only up charge for golds would be if you ordered something off the menu. And even then the server assured us if we just wanted omelettes or something it would be no problem. The pastries were all freshly baked – going to this frozen and reheated stuff. The hot items were fresh as well, and clearly not pre-cooked. We received a slight upgrade on upon registration – a view room thatWas on the small side but adequate for our needs for one night. Riverview was lovely and was very quiet.What I really enjoyed about the hotel most of all was that can-do attitude of the staff. We were thing to his goals when we registered, We had a bit of an upgrade, the extra towels we requested were waiting in our room,And every special request we made for anything was accommodated quickly and pleasantly.It’s also in a great location for visiting bath – near all the restaurants and shops, but set off a little bit by itself so it’s quieter than some of the other properties in town.If it wasn’t for the beds it would’ve been a five-star stay.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I was also there last weekend.

The truth, if you are paying cash, is that a brand new Apex hotel has just opened in central Bath which looks amazing (we had lunch there) and even has a pool. Location is a little worse than the Hilton but this is a very small town at the end of the day.

Breakfast was good and the common areas have been refurbished. That is the end of my praise.

No Diamond upgrade. We were given a room which had clearly not been used all week, and it was a very cold week. The room was not just cold, it was deep cold. You could feel how the cold had penetrated all the furnishings. Even with the heating on full blast it took 10 hours to warm it through.

TV picture quality was shockingly bad across both our rooms.

Upside is that Bath is shockingly pricy at weekends (we had 2 rooms for 2 nights which woukd have been over £1000) so worth using points. For cash, go to the Apex for the same money.

PS. Do read the display board about the history of the hotel in the entrance hall. It openly admits that the hotel is the ugliest building in Bath and openly admits it is one of the most profitable Hilton hotels in the UK (none of which has been reinvested in the rooms).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
I too was there on Saturday!
As a Diamond on a reward stay I did receive a Plaza room and was able to check in just after noon which was a bonus.
But the check in was the worst of over 500 Hilton check ins!
I gave my name and smiled.
”your room is ready. Sign here”
And that was the entirety of the conversation from the young lady with a severe hair cut.
No smile back from her, advice on breakfast, offer for help with luggage or any of the usual niceties...
Plates in the plate warmer at breakfast dangerously hot to hold.
Other staff were friendly.
The hotel itself is so so tired.
Glad I used points rather than £275...
Old Nov 11, 2018, 2:26 pm

Booked a one night stay here on Saturday with points. I was upgraded to a suite, given a warm cookie (better than DT) and drink vouchers for being Diamond. A really friendly check in and text to welcome, followed by a good breakfast in a refurbished breakfast room.

​​​​​​It's not the most modern hotel in terms of decor, but it was clean and comfortable.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Checked in to a rainy Bath City today. Booked a cosy double and upgraded to a standard room. No cookies this time, but still a drink voucher for 2. First room allocated was infested with moths, went to reception and it’s been changed for another room. Same category with no apology, seemed not very surprised.

I was also asked if I wanted to ‘upgrade’ my breakfast from continental to full, never had that before in the UK. Are we slowly seeing the UK become USA style of diamond scrimping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.