Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:03 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Rather enjoyed it last year.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
It was nearly 3 years ago now so I apologize I cant remember too many details but I loved this hotel. It was near the end of March 09 that I stayed and it was one of those rates, I think like the current sale now, that included breakfast.

Anyways had only silver status at the time but was given a room with a great view of the water. I don't know about AC as people are saying, I don't remember, it was March so obviously it was not needed. Anyways was also given drink tickets for a free drink at the bar. Breakfast I remember was fantastic as well with many options. I dunno like I said it was some time ago but I remember having a great stay here and a great nights sleep and the rate was fantastic too, I wanna say it was something like only $80-90 or so USD at the time, breakfast included. I dunno, I was happy. It probably helped that Bath is a fantastic city as well, enjoyed my time there.

I will say being a cat 6 is probably high but then I think about all of the hilton's are in too high of a category, it seems to just be what it is and nothing you can really do. There was nothing luxurious about this hotel, no, but it was a great stay. I think it depends on the rate you can get. Everything seems so inflated in the UK now I'm not really sure what to say is a good price anymore. But if it was reasonable comparatively I would stay here again for sure.

Last edited by darkhunter; Jan 26, 2012 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 7, 2012, 3:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
After seeing this place from the outside many times- and noting how grim/Soviet it appears- I actually stayed recently and I must say it was fine. Upgraded to a mini suite on a reward stay, great buffet breakfast, servicable gym, perfect location in the center of the town.

I will be back next month. ^
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
After seeing this place from the outside many times- and noting how grim/Soviet it appears- I actually stayed recently and I must say it was fine. Upgraded to a mini suite on a reward stay, great buffet breakfast, servicable gym, perfect location in the center of the town.

I will be back next month. ^
It's in refurb mode. Dining area and lobby done, and working through the rooms AIUI. (BTW, other properties are also being refurbed - Swindon currently has that 'new carpet' smell throughout ).

I don't think the dining area has become better as such, but it is tidier and maybe a bit more sophisticated. Just what you need with breakfast .

I find the WiFi poor enough that I often choose to go to Swindon instead. But the occasional evening in Bath is always a treat. Always worth seeing what is on at the Theatre Royal, and easy walking distance to a multitude of bars, restaurants, etc. It's a student town (big Uni a bit out of town) so there's usually a bit of life in them too.

The hotel has a slightly mean trick of offering to validate/charge your overnight parking in the Podium next door. But their 24-hour £15 (IIRC) rate is higher than the £10 or so for overnight at standard rates (based on arriving around 7pm and leave around 8am). To be fair to them, their rate probably kicks in as better if you are parking through the day rather than the night. And there is free parking on the street anyway from 6pm (or 7pm depending on the location) through to 8am.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Oct 7, 2012 at 11:25 am
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:08 am

WiFi is now so bad that I and colleagues are avoiding the property if there is a hint we may need connections in the evening.

This has apparently been escalated with the provider and Hilton HQ, but no progress in the last month or more.

Still a nice city though.

UPDATE 3-Jan-2013: In the final weeks of 2012 there was a significant improvement in the WiFi experience so that it is now (very) usable ^. Hopefully it will stay that way .

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Jan 3, 2013 at 9:35 am Reason: Added update to avoid misleading anyone.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Diamond worth a muffin in Bath?

Well I booked a twin room, so maybe my fault. The hotel is very busy. I rang straight after the booking asking for a double/ queen/ king etc, as per my preferences. Also telephoned the day before arrival. Got a twin deluxe. Not a bad room to be fair, quite nice decor. Reception could not move me. It is a busy night and I did get an upgrade.

This is the funny bit. In the room there was a welcome card, a chocolate muffin (like at breakfast) and two small mineral water bottles. I went to query this at reception, as normally in the UK a drinks voucher is given or there is a small wine in the room, or fruit/chocs etc.

Welcome card is personally addressed and qute nice.

This is correct I am told as a Diamond package. No bathrobes as it isnt a deluxe plus. I pointed out all hhonors get water, so it cant be a diamond benefit. Water is included in the room type anyway. I asked what do golds get thats different, not really answered. I pointed out that I was surprised as staying a lot of nights last year this wasn't the norm. The conversation was polite, but I had to give up, and went out!

I am here with some friends who also got upgraded, but are gold and got olives and all sorts of goodies in their room- so Diamond is worth a muffin!

My breakfast voucher is also for 1- see what happens in the morning.

LOL!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Skimanant
Well I booked a twin room, so maybe my fault. The hotel is very busy.

This is the funny bit. In the room there was a welcome card, a chocolate muffin (like at breakfast) and two small mineral water bottles.
I'm there regularly and usually get a room upgrade to a large room even if only the dreaded 'compact' rooms are available when booked. Very occasionally one of the suites with inclusive mini-bar.

I think there was a large party on a tour there Wed night, so I got a room with a queen bed and not a lot (but enough) space around it. But the bathroom at least had a proper full size tub to soak the day away in ^.

Maybe there's another group tonight - has the season started?

But whatever room I get I'm pretty sure I always get the half of red wine, chocolate chip cookie, olives and strawberries with chocolate dip / spread on top.

Usually two small bottles of water (still + sparking), sometimes two of each, and sometimes large ones.

And the breakfast voucher of course.

So I think they short-changed you somehow .
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Well, long additional conversation with downstairs, that is what you get as a Diamond. I can't be bothered to sort this stuff out, it is what turns a good stay into a "hassle" stay if you are not careful...........

I'm also Plat PC, so either that or Swindon/ Bristol Hilton next time- both of which treat me well I feel.

Not feeling the love!! Thx for you input Esherflyer.

Update 10.30 pm- bathrobes delivered....

Last edited by Skimanant; Feb 14, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:47 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Very centrally located with a good car park underneath, which for 15 gbp is not bad for 24 hrs. Inside nicer than out. Breakfast was ok though pretty minimal by Hilton standards in terms of variety. I would not like to be there when busy.

Room small but refurbished. Shower over bath. We were right at the end so quiet. 409. Small window view over river. Had to ask for clean towels as one was really yucky. Bath robes asked for and came.

After some fuss late checkout agreed until 2.

Main issue:

Checked in last night for 1 night with my better half who has been gold for years and was twice lied to. I checked in on line, and having booked a standard room was offered standard rooms to select from, but with the message that although they could not upgrade me now, when I arrived at the hotel they would upgrade if available. I chose 409. On checking in I asked if it had been possible to upgrade us and was told yes, they had given us a very nice room. This turned out to be room 409, the standard room I had chosen on e check in.

We were in a rush so I went back and challenged this later. We are full I was told. Really I said, then how come I can book any number of rooms in all room classes at vey reasonable rates on my phone now? A bit of shuffling and going red occurred. I was then told in hushed tones that they now upgraded very few golds any more and that he did not agree with it but it came from management.

I just don't like being lied to, and it does not do the Hilton brand much good.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: LH lifetime Sen; HH lifetime diamond; flying blue silver
Perhaps the lack of Gold upgrades is due to the large number of Golds around now as a result of credit cards and schemes like MilePoint?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by simonsmith
Checked in last night for 1 night with my better half who has been gold for years and was twice lied to. I checked in on line, and having booked a standard room was offered standard rooms to select from, but with the message that although they could not upgrade me now, when I arrived at the hotel they would upgrade if available. I chose 409. On checking in I asked if it had been possible to upgrade us and was told yes, they had given us a very nice room. This turned out to be room 409, the standard room I had chosen on e check in.
I wonder if this is an IT or training glitch? I've encountered it twice at Hiltons in the past couple of months. I'm planning to not e-check-in next time and see how things work out... because yeah, the e-check-in does say exactly that, and then the check-in desk does talk about what a great upgrade they've given you... when it's the exact same room selected in e-check-in (and not an upgrade at all).
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:23 am

Are you a silver> in which case there is no upgrade (although hotel could be generous).
If you are saying wife is gold so you should have got the upgrade, she should have booked it?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Room booked in better halfs name and we both stayed gold for many years
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:01 pm

I agree then with the upgrade thing, my crossed reading of the post, some hotels (maybe with limited inventory?) do seem reluctant to move once checked in. Perhaps that is a warning of online check in?
My last stay at Bath was very good, I will post about it, should have done already.
I am finding the upgrade thing a little disappointing a.t.m. brand wise. In my last 20 stays I have had 7 no upgrades, and all of the others have been 1 cat only. I would like to see "best available" brought back. These are all 1 night stays.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Skimanant
I agree then with the upgrade thing, my crossed reading of the post, some hotels (maybe with limited inventory?) do seem reluctant to move once checked in. Perhaps that is a warning of online check in?
I just did an online check-in for Bath City (rm. 330), and saw the same text about "upgrade upon arrival" if possible. Looking at booking and the these dates are not available, so it may not happen, and may be for legitimate reasons. Will report back after check-in to see how this all turns out

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.