Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2003, 8:29 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kymbakitty:
Dear NickW:

I would love to "pick your brain" on Bath, but you did not have an email available.
</font>
Oops; seems I had the wrong check-box selected. Email address now available :-)
Old Apr 30, 2003, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Thinking about Bath Hilton for 2 nights this summer with family (2 adults - 2 kids). Plaza room says two beds and children 5-15 get free accomodation. Are the beds two queen sized beds as in most US Hiltons, or more likely two full sized beds?

Two twins certainly wouldn't cut it, but two full size beds would work (and I am trying not to get 2 rooms at 120 pounds or so per night, had to burn 2 GLONs in London). I looked all over the Bath site and couldn't find the answer. Anyone know? Thanks.

Family Plan Description
Children under 5 sharing with 2 adults - COMPLETELY FREE
Children 5-15 sharing with 2 adults - Free Accommodation
Meals charged at hotel as taken
Child 0-15 in OWN ROOM are charged -
50pct off Room Rate - If adult rate is Room Only
50pct off Hilton Leisure Rate - If adult rate inlcude meals
Old Jul 11, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Anyone stay at the Hilton Bath City

Has any one stayed athe Hilton in Bath England? I tried scearhing the forum first, and all I could find was complaints about different bathrooms at hilton properties from around the world.

I was wondering room size, proximity to the city center, how the treated Gold and Diamond members, ect.. Any info would be nice.

Thank You
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by awcrounse
Has any one stayed athe Hilton in Bath England? I tried scearhing the forum first, and all I could find was complaints about different bathrooms at hilton properties from around the world.
If you use the Search function and limit it to Titles Only, you'll find this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345617

(and another older one....)
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
I was thinking about staying in Bath, and read more recently that it had undergone renovation?

However, when I looked at the parking situation on the Hilton website this made me reconsider my plan of driving to this property:

..."With effect from August 1st 2005, the owners of the Podium Car Park below the hotel have removed the preferential rate used by the hotel. It has now been designated a short stay car park and unfortunately the charges have been changed accordingly. We have therefore looked at a number of alternatives for our guests in order to try and minimise the inconvenience caused. Depending on your time of arrival and length of stay the the hotel, there are several options: 1) If you are arriving by car after 7pm and leaving before 8am the following day, you can park for free in the Cattle Market car park next door to the hotel every day except Saturdays. 2) If you are here for a longer period of time, there is the Charlotte Street car park with 1162 spaces, which is a short 10 minutes walk from the hotel and costs 6.00 GBP per 24 hours. 3) If you are arriving by train of coach, we will collect you from the station in our courtesy bus. The station is 10 minutes walk from the hotel. There are a total of 5 Long stay car parks within 15 minutes walk of the hotel, which can be viewed at the Bath Council website www.bathnes.gov.uk where you should take the following steps -1) Parking. 2) Car Parks. 3) Bath. 4) Bath car park map. If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact our Reservation Department on [email protected] or telephone the hotel direct on 01255 463 411 and we will be happy to help."

Parking 10 minutes walk away from my hotel is not exactly convenient!

From all the reviews I've read, I'm leaning towards staying in Cardiff and driving over to Bath for a visit...
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Alitalia Confiscated iPod Club
Originally Posted by PHL
A note about Bath - it's a really lovely town with lots of history, as you well know. But you may find a week to be a bit long unless you plan on taking day-trip excursions outward from there. Just my two cents....
I'd second this. A week in Bath could leave you quite bored.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 9:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Bath Hilton

I stayed here on a free night this past August. I was upgraded to a deluxe room, for my gold status. The location is good for exploring Bath, close to the city center However parking is a problem! The shopping center next door does not give the Hotel preferntial rates anymore, for reasonable overnight parking rates they suggested a parking lot, about a 10 minute walk away. Unless you stay on a Saturday night the cattle market next door is free from 7:00pm to 8:00am. The desk clerk also gave lousy and generic directions to the Bristol Airport the next morning. He handed me a photocopy of a map of the Bath city center, and mumble something about just go this way. Thanks Buddy! My only other complaint was the lack of air conditioning. The desk fans in the room didn't do much.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: ua-mm *G, hilton-gold
national express bus company has "fun fares" of 1 pound each way from victoria coach station to bath. this can be booked online at their website. i just did a daytrip there and had a great time exploring that beautiful city. for 2 pounds roundtrip, it was a great deal.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you will be driving, you might want to consider the Hilton in Tewkesbury, which was reviewed in this forum a few days ago.

I think Tewkesbury is not too far from Bath, and it would also give you better access to Wales, Glastonbury, and that whole interesting region thereabouts.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:35 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by elbidercni
Parking 10 minutes walk away from my hotel is not exactly convenient!

From all the reviews I've read, I'm leaning towards staying in Cardiff and driving over to Bath for a visit...
Have stayed at Bath Hilton and always found the underground car parking very convenient for the hotel, but sometimes there are long queues(lines) to get parked, especially at weekends. Now that they have done away with the preferential parking rates, it sounds like it will be very expensive to park there and has created a real problem for guests to the hotel.

Cardiff is a really nice modern 5 star Hilton with air conditioning and Executive lounge. It's only about a 30 minute drive to Bath. The Puckrup Hall Hilton at Tewkesbury is a bit further away, about 75 miles, and would take about 80 - 90 minutes to drive to Bath. This is a very nice country type hotel in large grounds with its own golf course. Good base for travelling and seeing the Cotswolds area.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by cjd
...Cardiff is a really nice modern 5 star Hilton with air conditioning and Executive lounge. It's only about a 30 minute drive to Bath. The Puckrup Hall Hilton at Tewkesbury is a bit further away, about 75 miles, and would take about 80 - 90 minutes to drive to Bath. This is a very nice country type hotel in large grounds with its own golf course. Good base for travelling and seeing the Cotswolds area.
Thanks. 30 minutes away sounds reasonable. Looking forward to the Cardiff location -- from what I've read in other posts it sounds nice. We'll still plan on exploring Bath, but sounds like the Cardiff property will be a nicer place to spend the night.

Hope to drive by the Tewkesbury location to check it out, and maybe catch it next time. Sounds like it's a little too far from Bath for this trip.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:16 am
cjd

Originally Posted by elbidercni
Thanks. 30 minutes away sounds reasonable. Looking forward to the Cardiff location -- from what I've read in other posts it sounds nice. We'll still plan on exploring Bath, but sounds like the Cardiff property will be a nicer place to spend the night.
Sorry elbidercini, I was getting mixed up with Bath to Bristol journey time. Cardiff is about 50 miles from Bath and should take about an hour. It is easily driveable on the M4 motorway across the Severn Bridge, which is a toll bridge charging £4.80 which IIRC is payable one way only. Cardiff Hilton is in a good location in the city centre. Try and get a room overlooking the castle as the last time I was there, I had a room on the city side and was woken very early by the very noisy delivery vehicles.
Old Sep 24, 2005, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Just got back from the UK where I stayed in Bristol (Marriott Royale - very nice!) and took the train to Bath. Walked around Bath for several hours - walking is definitely the best way to explore Bath - most of the sights aren't accessable by car anyway. Walked passed the Hilton and it looked pretty unimpressive. Probably best to stay in a surrounding city and take the train to Bath. Bath station is about a 5 minute walk to the heart of the city and the major attractions. Pick up a tourist map and walk the rest of the city or take a guided tour.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 8:23 pm

Bath UK family room award

First let me apologize for not using "search" but the term "bath" brings up many, many threads.

When I try to book an award stay for 3 adults in Bath online, the family room is not available. For a regular reservation, I pull the family room. However, the family descriptions states it is for 2 adults and 2 children. By calling HHonors, I was able to reserve this family room for my 3 adults at the same rate as a regular room. Am I likely to have any trouble here? I'm worried about the 3 adults vs 2 adults & 2 kids and also getting the large room at the cost of a regular room.

Thanks,
Deb
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I doubt you'll have a problem. I've found that family rooms are generally not available on-line and I've had to call. For the situation you are in, you may wish to call the hotel and ask about this problem without giving them the specifics -- or call and ask about making a new reservation with different dates to see what the policy is. Calling the UK from the US is pretty cheap these days. If you use futurephone.com it can even be almost free -- but I've no idea what the quality of that service is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.