Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2007, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Ha! We spent 1 night in this Hilton in about 2000. Oddly enough: we got it for about GBP60 from the local Tourist Information office, they way you'd typically get a B&B. Bath was an unplanned destination and the idea of booking a chain hotel hadn't entered our minds - it was a roadtrip where we stayed in B&B's on all other nights.

Anyway, it wasn't worth sixty quid. We thought "Oh, after a week of B&B's, we'll pay for a familiar Hilton with a big shower and two big beds, etc." Wrong. It was a Travelodge with a Hilton sign in front. Avoid it.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, KLM Gold, ex-BMI Gold, ex-AC Elite (...sad isn't it)
... and the Manager's response.

Am hoping this will be a positive stay!

His comments, re: rates in Bath, are a bit of a stretch. For the price, the Hilton is one of the more expensive properties around. The only places more expensive are MUCH nicer (e.g., the Crescent).

In fairness, the location for the Bath Hilton is still top-notch and the breakfast (and their staff) solid. So, if they fix the rooms... it'll be a decent property.

Will let you guys know whether, there is hope yet for the Hilton Bath.

I was sorry to hear the hotel did not match your expectation regarding an executive floor, leisure facilities and rate. It is true we do not offer a executive rooms. This is mainly due to the fact we do not have an executive lounge in this property. We are limited regarding our leisure facilities, although our gym was fully refurbished only two years prior. Regarding rate, I can assure you we are matched carefully against our competitors in Bath, and are certainly not the highest rated.

I was deeply saddened to read the issues you experienced regarding your room. This is unacceptable. I have forwarded a copy of your e-mail to my Head Housekeeper to address with the room attendant. I can assure you that action will be taken.

I have in addition addressed your comments with my team, regarding the fact you feel that no-one has apologised or addressed your issues with you. I can assure you I take your feedback very seriously and certainly wish to work with you to rectify this situation.

I am conscious you are a regular guest with us, and are starting to become dissatisfied. As a result, I have reviewed your bookings. At the hotel, we are due to commence a full refurbishment of 54 bedrooms. We have just completed a set of sample rooms that we have now released into our rooms inventory. I have therefore allocated you into one of these rooms on your next stay, to see if this works, and improves your stay. I am confident we can rescue your confidence in both Hilton and our HHonors program.

I hope you will enjoy your next stay, and look forward to receiving your feedback.

Kind regards

Last edited by CdnUKPlat; Jan 27, 2007 at 12:23 pm Reason: delete name.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
CdnUKPlat - only just come across this thread initiated by you.

Although, as a Brit, it pains me to say this you are absolutely spot-on. British hotels, particularly those managed/run by chains, are generally awful.

I know the Bath Hilton quite well - from the outside! It's appearance alone is enough to put me off wanting to stay there. I usually park my car in the car park underneath it during my shopping trips to Bath.

If you want to find a decent British hotel you're better off relying on the likes of TripAdvisor et al to find you something. Often the smaller, owner-run hotels provide a much more pleasant experience - generally at a reduced cost. Alternatively buy one of the 'Good Hotel Guide' type books from a UK bookshop and choose on the basis of their recommendations.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 2:30 pm
CSR

Programs: CO Plat, HH Diam, PC Plat
I was always curious about that property - thanks for the warning. I have a favorite hotel in Bath - The Kennard. It's just lovely in all ways. It's @10 rooms, no lounge or anything, but a very good breadfast.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 6:47 pm

The Bath Hilton is more in line with a Garden Inn. The staff were nice and the breakfast was good but that's about it. Hopefully it will be rebranded downwards and charge less. I have stayed in smaller rooms but they were much nicer.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 2:38 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
I stayed at this property for two nights (SUN/MON) this week, with my wife.... I had booked a Double deluxe at a room rate of £79.50 (155$) per night incl. breakfast ....and dinner on the first night was also thrown in... the deluxe rooms all seem to be a walk from the lifts in a seperate "wing".... When we were in the vacinity of our room, there was a REALLY LOUD HUMMING noise... I went back to reception... and we were upgraded to a Junior suite.... which was great.(I am a humnle GOLD). Rennovation IS going on at this hotel (same as the other Hiltons I have stayed at in the U.k. this year) Staff were great, restaurant no complaints.... we would be very happy to repeat our stay at these sort of prices; The location is great and soooo close to the Thermae Spa. The standard rooms were TINY though (had a look whilst maid was cleaning) and we would NOT stay in one of those rooms, must be terrible in the summer as no A/C.....
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:36 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Dupe...

Last edited by Dambus; Feb 1, 2007 at 1:46 am Reason: "Database Error" ?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 1:43 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
The standard rooms were TINY though (had a look whilst maid was cleaning) and we would NOT stay in one of those rooms, must be terrible in the summer as no A/C.....
Ahhhh... which I had the pleasure of doing for a whole week in the middle of last summer (temperature peaked at 35C in Bath).

Last minute booking as a Diamond meant no upgraded rooms were available - Hotel is for tourists, not business travellers.

After a trying a couple of rooms on higher floors (my usual preference to avoid street noise) I ended up switching to one on the first floor because:

1: Temperature on the higher floors was borderline fatal
2: There is no high-speed connectivity on the higher floors

Unfortunately there is not much choice in Bath - I did end up staying at the Priory which is quite a bit more expensive but a *lot* more comfortable, great food and has wireless available in some of the rooms.

-- Dambus
Old Mar 30, 2007, 3:31 am

Thanks for this - was looking for a Hilton in the area - might have a search on here for Bristol to see if that is any better.....
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:46 am

I have never stayed at this property but I have made a mistake of booking and staying at a the London Hilton Hyde Park property and if you want to compare notes about the worst Hilton??? PM me......

If it's anything like the one mentioned above, I feel for you.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:47 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pjrice
Sorry to hear about this, as an Elite member perhaps someone at Hilton International should be made aware of the conditions at thei property. Or do they really care? One would think because when I book a Marriott, Hilton or Starwood property, I'm expecting the property to meet a certain standard. If I want to book a No Name Motel then I have no expectations and I pretty much take what I get.

Shame on Hilton in Bath, UK!!!!
In my experience they do not care much. I stayed in the Hilton Hyde Park last year, which was shocking. The reasons are far too numerous to mention. I contacted Hilton, who just passed the buck to the local manager. I got the usual platitudinous reply.......... "When you next come to stay with us..............". Fat chance.
I stayed in the Hilton Newport (Gwent) last week. Just because there is a Wales vs. England rugby international on does not give Hilton the right to populate their hotel with a bunch of idiots who look either stoned or with hangovers. And how can the housekeeping staff miss the fact that there is black mould all around the bath/shower - or do they think that is normal?
So to arrive in Hilton Melbourne Airport, Sydney and Conrad Brisbane was like being in a different world.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Anyone been to the Bath Hilton since the renovations?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I was there in February on an award and quite liked it. It is close to the middle of town and there are many places to eat and drink across the street from the hotel. There is a small mall next to the hotel that has a great grocery store.

The room was quite nice and fresh if you ask me. The rooms are small, but this is Britain, so you cannot expect otherwise. The breakfast was included and really good. Quite a spread.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:07 am

Programs: AF Frequence Plus Rouge pour toujours, BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, BW Rewards Diamond
Ha ! I have never been to the Bath property but have stayed at the ones in Brighton, Croydon, Arundel, Portsmouth and Aberdeen.

The common denominator apart from the Hilton logo is that they all suck big time, especially ;ore so if you have had experience of Hiltons in Asia or the rest of Europe (USA can be hit or miss IMHO).

Add to that the vastly inflated prices and the dubious upgrades and it becomes even less enticing.

I've now requalified until June 09 and I highly doubt I'll be staying at a Hilton UK property in the next 6 months, bar any promotions (got Croydon at £41).

UTA
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by UTA_flyinghigh
Ha ! I have never been to the Bath property but have stayed at the ones in Brighton, Croydon, Arundel, Portsmouth and Aberdeen.

The common denominator apart from the Hilton logo is that they all suck big time, especially ;ore so if you have had experience of Hiltons in Asia or the rest of Europe (USA can be hit or miss IMHO).

Add to that the vastly inflated prices and the dubious upgrades and it becomes even less enticing.

I've now requalified until June 09 and I highly doubt I'll be staying at a Hilton UK property in the next 6 months, bar any promotions (got Croydon at £41).

UTA
You haven't picked great hotels. There are good hotels in the UK but they are rarer than the crap ones. Particularly good properties include:-

The Trafalgar
Canary Wharf
Tower Bridge
Manchester Deansgate
Cardiff
Newcastle Gateshead

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.