Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2003, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Arrow Doubletree (was Hilton), Bath City {GBR}

We are staying in a Hilton property in London for a week because I am using my award points.

We are also staying in Bath for a week during this vacation. While I did locate a Hilton property in Bath, I will be paying for the stay.

My question is this...given an incredible historic place like Bath, would you even consider staying in a hotel like a Hilton with all the other nooks & crannies the city has to offer? (i.e., www.bathlodge.com)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Hilton in Bath? Would you consider staying there instead of all the 'castle' like properties available? It reminds of going somewhere like Scotland and staying in a Motel 6...not sure why, just feels that way.

Any input would be appreciated.

Any great websites for that area would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dawn
Old Apr 12, 2003, 11:26 pm

Well, I did just that, and we also stayed in Scot;and in both Castles and Hiltons, and the same for London and Bath. - Definetly the way to go in Scotland.

For Bath, I couldn't locate any 4-5 star castles so Hilton it was, and we were quite pleased. When we arrived later after dinner, the manage when to her house, made us dinner and brought it back to us.

In terms of missing something, we didn't. I would have only thought that if Leeds offered accomidations and we didnt stay there, but that was not the case.

Try to visit the primate sanctuary in the area, its supposed to be excellent.

In terms of Scotland, you have not lived until you experience 2 nights at Dalhousie Castle. - Trust me on this.

Old Apr 13, 2003, 11:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kymbakitty:
We are staying in a Hilton property in London for a week because I am using my award points.

We are also staying in Bath for a week during this vacation. While I did locate a Hilton property in Bath, I will be paying for the stay.

My question is this...given an incredible historic place like Bath, would you even consider staying in a hotel like a Hilton with all the other nooks & crannies the city has to offer? (i.e., www.bathlodge.com)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Hilton in Bath? Would you consider staying there instead of all the 'castle' like properties available? It reminds of going somewhere like Scotland and staying in a Motel 6...not sure why, just feels that way.

Any input would be appreciated.

Any great websites for that area would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dawn
</font>
If you do decide to stay at the Hilton Bath, book it as soon as you can, it gets incredibly busy.

Nigel
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:31 pm

I've stayed at the Hilton in Bath. It's a pretty good hotel and it is centrally located to most of the sites in the city. I'd recommend it. It's a well kept business hotel with a small health club as well.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 12:59 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kymbakitty:
It reminds of going somewhere like Scotland and staying in a Motel 6...not sure why, just feels that way.</font>
Fully understand, because we too feel that way.

That being said, we have stayed at the Bath Hilton twice and have enjoyed our stays each time.

I made the decision to stay at the Hilton because we were not traveling much and needed the stays to maintain status. Also, it was very very cheap compared to other accommodations when we went.

We also appreciate the anonymity and less structure of a hotel stay. We have been in a few B&B's where a topic of the scheduled breakfast in the morning was who were the late ones to arrive and take a shower thus waking the other guests.

The free breakfast helps too, where else will I get my morning dose of haggis?
Old Apr 13, 2003, 5:58 pm

It's a nice place and within convenient walking distance of every place in Bath you might want to go to. The hotel sits on top of a large parking garage. If you have a car, leave it there and walk around town. I found Bath a very confusing place to drive in.
Old Apr 13, 2003, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Excellent, excelent information! I hadn't read any reviews or anything about the Hilton in Bath so I wasn't really expecting this much info.

While we are on the subject, someone mentioned a decent price. What can I expect to pay for a hotel like this (level 3, I believe)?

And lastly, besides the Hiton's website...can you think of other good websites that would give me good rates AND give me my points/stay credit?

Thanks!!!!

Dawn
Old Apr 14, 2003, 6:33 am

Try Hunstrete House

http://www.hunstretehouse.co.uk/
Old Apr 14, 2003, 6:42 am

And lastly, besides the Hiton's website...can you think of other good websites that would give me good rates AND give me my points/stay credit?</font>
two things.

book a cheap rate at Hilton.com, keep checking back every two weeks or so, sometimes the price goes down quite a bit.

ask your travel agent (and they should not charge you for a hotel stay only). While my travel agent has never been able to beat airfare found on the web, she has been able to beat hotel prices. And while her company charges a fee if they book airfare, they do not for hotels or rental cars.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 2:56 am
Suspended

Out of all the hotels (not just Hilton) I have ever stayed in around the world the Hilton Bath City is definitely the worst.

All the rooms I have seen are filthy dirty and it's evident that the furniture in the rooms are never moved for cleaning behind, beneath or even on top.

When I stayed there I complained about various defects in the room including reading lights not securely fitted to the wall above the beds. Even after complaining to the manager and pointing out the various problems in the room he was relucant to move us to another room.

Eventually he agreed to move us toi another room but said there would be delay of 30 minutes as housekeeping needed to check the room. He obviously knew that none of the rooms were up to the standard of cleanliness that I expected.

When we eventually checked into our new room, even though housekeeping had been in it still wasn't what I'd call clean and comfortable.

If you had to see the digital photos I took, you definitely will not want to stay at the Hilton Bath City!

The are many wonderful guesthouses and private hotels in Bath and would recommend you go down this route. Try some of the following sites:
http://www.bath-hotels.net
http://www.travel-hotels-england.co....h-hotels-1.htm
http://www.uk-hotel-accommodation.co...Bath/index.cfm
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1...nd-Hotels.html

Old Apr 15, 2003, 7:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
A note about Bath - it's a really lovely town with lots of history, as you well know. But you may find a week to be a bit long unless you plan on taking day-trip excursions outward from there. Just my two cents....
Old Apr 15, 2003, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by criscokid:
Out of all the hotels (not just Hilton) I have ever stayed in around the world the Hilton Bath City is definitely the worst.
</font>
I wouldn't quite go that far, but it's certainly pretty far down my list of 'desirable properties'...

It does have the advantage of being very centrally located, but that's about it.

If anyone has any questions about Bath hotels, feel free to drop me a line and I'll give you the benefit of my local knowledge!
Old Apr 16, 2003, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Dear NickW:

I would love to "pick your brain" on Bath, but you did not have an email available.

Would you mind emailing me? I do have a few questions about Bath...especially since it seems as if we will be there for an entire week.

When you get a few moments, drop me a line. I will write down some of my questions.

Thanks!!

Dawn

[email protected]
Old Apr 16, 2003, 6:39 am

Dear NickW:

I would love to "pick your brain" on Bath, but you did not have an email available.

Would you mind emailing me? I do have a few questions about Bath...especially since it seems as if we will be there for an entire week.

When you get a few moments, drop me a line. I will write down some of my questions.
</font>
With respect to Nick for offering advice which is always a nice thing to do. Why not post your questions in the UK forum in Flyertalk Travel and notify Nick that post is there. That way others on Flyertalk can benefit from his knowledge, afterall sharing experiences, knowledge and opinions is what makes FT a vital source of information.
Old Apr 16, 2003, 7:03 am
Suspended

I pretty sure I read somewhere that Hilton was in the process of selling or try to sell this property.
Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.