Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Dresden {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:25 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Foltan
As there's a few slightly odd responses on this thread, just though I'd give my review of a one-night stay last week, as a UK-based diamond member:

Stayed on a Sunday night and booked the cheapest twin room for a very good rate ~£70. It's usually a fair bit more expensive.

Pre-upgraded to an Exec room so I checked in on the app and chose a room with a view of the FrauenKirche - highly recommended as it's an impressive building to have directly outside your window.

We were driving and so took the car directly into the underground carpark - you could also unload by the front door if you wish, and I'd recommend that if you have large suitcases as there's a couple of steps to the parking lift.
The train station isn't too far away and there's plenty of taxis around to ferry you.

Staff were friendly, check-in and out very easy, nice welcome letter, bottles of water in the room, fruit, 'guide' for the Exec lounge times. The room is a bit 90's and not huge but perfectly clean and pleasant with a modern TV.

The Exec lounge is available all day for coffees and water etc., and in the evening they had some tasty German sparkling wine plus all the usual beers and wines - possibly spirits too, I didn't notice sorry. A nice selection of meats, cheeses, salads, bread and a couple of hot dishes (goulash and a pasta/dumpling). As it was a Sunday, there was plenty on offer for the 10-15 people knocking around - I suppose it might be more of a scrum on busier nights.

The hotel is right in the centre of town and perfectly located for a sightseeing wander around the cobbled streets. The architecture in Dresden in truly breathtaking and at night everything is dimly lit and extremely atmospheric. There's a number of nice restaurants in the square outside the hotel so you can take your pick, and mix it up if you're there for a number of days.

Breakfast was the usual Hilton affair, perfectly decent although somewhat busy. They also provide the standard Exec lounge offering if you want a quieter and lighter start.

Didn't have time to use the fitness centre I'm afraid so can't give any feedback on the pool, sauna etc.

In summary, I highly recommend the Hilton Dresden, and Dresden in general, if you want a little city break in this area for a day or two. The only reason I can understand any criticism towards the hotel would be if people had been paying very high prices when they stayed, but if you get a decent sale price then I think you'll enjoy it.
I stayed at the Hilton Dresden last week end and fully endorsed the review, which is exactly what I thought about the hotel. I also was upgraded from a Superior to an Executive Room, as Gold.
I will add that I used the fitness center and it was the best of any hotel I used so far. It is actually a proper gym open to anyone, but it was not busy when I used it. Their cardio area is good, their weight and strength area a bit weak, but good enough for a workout on the road. The pool is OK; 12.5 meters length. The sauna is OK.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 4:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Any recent experiences staying in a couple of weeks for 3 nights on points.
booked into a twin as it was the cheapest available on points, wondering what upgrade I can expect as a Diamond?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Just arrived at the hotel and asked to be walked to the Westin across the bridge after 10 minutes on site - after finding out that the hotel has a long-planned power-outage just setting in minutes after I arrived at Midnight that was not referenced on their website or communicated to guests for that night in any other way. No power means no lights in the room (absolutely none), no a/c, no elevator, no internet, no room-service and most likely reduced breakfast service the next morning as the power-outage last until shortly before breakfast begins.

And it's just the Hilton, everyone else around has power...I am now at the Westin (the Hilton pays for that) but lost about an hour of sleep in that process...not really the most pleasant of all stays after an already pretty hard week.

Greetings - Dirk
hugolover likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Recent 5 night stay and was quite pleased overall. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was decent. Good breakfast with a choice of 3 locations - main, cafe, lounge. Location was good for the local sites although driving to the hotel you have to drive through the oblivious crowds walking in the street. Lounge was good with beer, wine, 4 types of liquor, usually a soup and hot dish and an assortment of small plates. A few nights only one staff who had some difficulty with the hoards of people attacking the F&B.

Only complaint is the 23 euro parking per night charge. I opted to park in a close by open lot for 6 euro a night.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Stayed there for a night last week. The current offers are great (~85EUR/night), and the hotel was full. Lounge is closed due to covid19, so Diamonds get to raid the in room mini bar for free. We had booked an extra room for the kids and they made good use of the mini bar for the first time in their life The hotel had removed all miniatures from both rooms, so it was sodas, waters, beers, wines and sparkling wine.Plus a candy bar and peanuts.
Breakfast was served in three zones: the usual place near the reception, the former Rossini bar facing the square with views of the church and the conference/banquet area in the first floor. Saxony has a rather relaxed mask policy due to low numbers, so the guests are required to wear masks if they are nearer than 1.5m to anyone. Staff is required to wear masks at all times. Only two parties are allowed in elevators, which leads to back ups, so they have opened up two staircases if you want to walk.

The hotel is quite interesting and has a chequered past, starting out as 'Dresdener Hof' built by a Swedish Company and designed by an architect in W. Berlin in the 80s. Which explains the fittings and design of the bathrooms, which my wife, who grew up in Sweden, noticed immediately

The tip with parking near the police HQ is a good one which I will repeat again: park here: https://goo.gl/maps/i3w1VgrxNwtVe7fW6 its only 6EUR/day.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 12:16 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I am in the hotel currently. Some elements have changed again: breakfast is now purely in the lobby restaurant, as before.
There is a Chill Out area reserved to Gold and Diamond in Rossini restaurant. Open from 6pm to 9pm, drinks in self service and snacks brought by a staff. It makes for a good aperitif.
Mini bars in Executive Room empty.

And boy was i glad the priority checkin was open and enforced. The hotel is packed; when i arrived yesterday the check in queue was 35 people deep, but only one person at priority checkin.
Zurich and The _Banking_Scot like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 7:20 am

I am in the hotel currently. It is running normally, except :
- breakfast is spread between the lobby area and the first floor
- test, vaccination or proof of recovery mandatory to access the fitness area, pool, sauna
- contact tracing ubiquitous in every place where there is service: breakfast, lounge. QR code to scan with Corona Warn App or paper form to fill.
Lounge working as normal: tea time with some cakes, happy hours with snacks.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I am in the hotel currently. It is running normally, except :
- breakfast is spread between the lobby area and the first floor
- test, vaccination or proof of recovery mandatory to access the fitness area, pool, sauna
- contact tracing ubiquitous in every place where there is service: breakfast, lounge. QR code to scan with Corona Warn App or paper form to fill.
Lounge working as normal: tea time with some cakes, happy hours with snacks.

Hi,

Many thanks franksnorge!.

I will be staying here for 2 nights in 2.5 weeks ( get in mid morning from Berlin on Wednesday and leave for Berlin Friday evening (will leave my small case with the hotel on arrrival before check in and then sightsee)

Good news that there is an actual lounge working.

Looks like I will be filling out lots of contact forms as I only have the NHS Scotland paper certificate of vaccination ( will bring along several copies) and look like the Corona Warn app will not accept the Scottish vaccination certificate

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 28, 2021, 7:53 am

You do not need the vaccination certificate in Corona Warn App for contact tracing. You scan a QR code displayed at the entrance of the restaurants and the App just keep a trace of the location and time, it is a separate feature of the vaccination certificate l
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
You do not need the vaccination certificate in Corona Warn App for contact tracing. You scan a QR code displayed at the entrance of the restaurants and the App just keep a trace of the location and time, it is a separate feature of the vaccination certificate l

Hi,

Many thanks. Will download the app prior to arrival.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

Just finishing breakfast here at hilton berlin ( very good stay with a nice corner suite and very good breakfast ) and heading to the hilton dresden for 2 nights (weather forecast is not so good with rain forecast)

The app says I have been upgraded to a queen executive family room.

Will post more later.

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi

2 night stay. 15th to 17th sep

Arrived at 1130 from berlin and was able to check in

The room rate shown on check in was reflecting the upgraded room not the original rate but was adjusted

The room 4081 is a family executive room and overlooks the mural with a sideways glance of the church.

No housekeeping is being provided but toiletries and towels etc available on each floor during the day.

Breakfast will be in the restaurant.

Executive lounge is beautiful and almost feels like a library and with a small water tank with bubbles.

Soft drinks fruit and tea coffee are provided as well as bottled juices but no diet drinks ie diet cola.

Afternoon cakes will be from 4pm

Regards

Tbs

Sprite fanta and cola are the sodas.

Lots of people checking in at 4pm.

3 elevators from the lobby but only 2 serve the 1st floor which is the gym and executive floor which I found out when I went down from the 4th floor and went to the lobby.

Afternoon snacks consist of two types of small muffins , small sponge cake slices and a type of a plum crumble cake .they are fresh and tasty. Soft drinks tea and coffee and juices are available also some fruit. Staff seem good at restocking when the numbers laid out run low.

the ogura Japanese restaurant was pretty good for lunch.i came in just before they closed for the afternoon had a tempura udon which was tasty.

Will try it tomorrow for lunch again or for dinner depending on how the evenings snacks in the el turnout

Rain arrived on schedule so it is getting a little damp without an umbrella especially if you want to be outdoors.

The welcome letter advises that to avoid the worst of the breakfast queues quecome for breakfast before 0830 am or after 10am.

I think I will go for a light workout after this before the evening snacks which start at 1800 till 2000 and will try the pool sometime over the next 2 days.

Lounge closes at 9pm.

looks like I got a welcome gift of a packet of nuts (erdnuss) a 250ml bottle of pinot noir and a 40g packet of pringles as they are on s shelf beside the ice bucket and separate from the minibar.
you have to show a negative covid test or vaccine when using the gym.or pool Unlike the hilton berlin where they could see your status from the reception check in on arrival.

Also they have 1 uk style plug socket in addition to the standard european sockets by the desk but no dockets by the bed

Luca app is used in the el to sign in.

Drinks are self service

A large plate of a mixture of bread, bread stick (1) ham , cheese tomatoes small peppers and some salad leaves and small vegetables.

whisky ( Canadian club) gin voda and rum available together with beer and red and white wine
Prosecco also available.

Pretelzs and nuts as well as the small muffins from afternoon tea available.

Before the lounge I used the pool which is quite good if a bit cooler than berlin. The pool is relatively deep at 1.7 to 1.8m . The hot tub is elevated on a stand outside in a mini court yard just by the pool.
pool closed at 7pm.

The gym is well equipped and large and run by living well. closes at 10pm

Bit of a queue for the elevators down this morning so followed the signed way to the stairs and walked down .

Standard hilton breakfast buffet with hot and cold items all self serve. Quality was good although the fruit ie watermelon seemed to be better at Hilton Berlin. I think the staff are supposed to come round with coffee to start but I did not see any. No biggie as I used the coffee machines. A tip- if you want a latte machiatto then you need to choose a tall glass as if you use the standard mugs the milk and coffee will spill over.
For the lounge evening offerings Probably more like a good snack rather than a full meal but not bad.
had a beautiful.sunset last night.

Checking out today to go back to Berlin. Asked about a late checkout but the agent said the hotel was fully booked and she could only give me 1230. However I can use the executive lounge during the afternoon until I leave at 1600.

Free minibar- I had a bottle of water and two juices from the minibar during my stay. I mentioned that to the check out agent and he said that the minibar was free. . I must have misunderstood the checkin agent when she said did I want to use the minibar.
Anyway went back up to my room and got a red wine , white wine, sekt , a can of red bull and a kit kst and the packet of pringles. The bottles are 250ml. I could have taken the soft drinks but did not want to carry too much glass.
This was a great benefit. Will have a bottle each night before dinner here in berlin do it saves some money
After a japanese lunch and walking around I spent from 315pm to 410pm in the executive lounge. I was able to get a few cakes at 4pm beforegetting my cases and getting a taxi at 420pm to the hauptbahnhof. It took about 10mins.
then found out my euro city train to berlin was 20mins it was Hungarian rolling stock and train came from Budapest.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 17, 2021 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 25, 2021, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some photos

Hi,

Some photos from my stay ( Room 4081)

View from window on one side of the room

Queen Bed ( Comfortable enough)

Bathroom ( bath/shower combo to right)

Bath/shower combo ( water pressure good)

Executive lounge

Lounge looking towards water tank

View from room to the furstenzug tile mural

View of Hilton Dresden from dome of Frauenkirche. Entrance is glass dome arch. My room is the left corner of the hotel ( mid way up the picture. The hole in the middle of the hotel courtyard is the hot tub for the hotel pool ( hot tub is open air but accesed from the indoor pool

Selection of afternoon cakes in the executive lounge ( 1600-1800)

Evening snack plate in the lounge ( 1800-2000) . Plate is handed out but pretzels and cakes are self serve. I found with a japanese meal at lunch and afternoon cakes at 4, this plate and cakes were sufficent. It was a different plate with more fish and meat on the 2nd evening

The breakfast serving area ( ground floor) taken mid afternoon. The first floor balcony is also used for breakfast with its own serving stations

The weather for most of my three days here was overcast with rain but for about 90mins prior to sunset it cleared up to be a beautiful sunset . This view was taken from the other side of the Elbe

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great pics. Shocking to see little has changed about that hotel in more than 10 years since I first stayed there...
The _Banking_Scot and Zurich like this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Great pics. Shocking to see little has changed about that hotel in more than 10 years since I first stayed there...
Hi,

Rooms are a bit dated ( esp the bathroom) but and comfortable enough and appreciated the free breakfast and the use of the executive lounge after checkout (1230pm only as the hotel was full) until 4pm. The early checkin ( 1130am) was also appreciated.

Did like the Ogura japanese restaurant.
The location is very hard to beat ( 50 steps from the front door to the square)

Lots of construction at the Zwinger and on the Augustus bridge currently

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.