Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Dresden {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:32 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Stayed here for a few days May 2011, a brilliant stay.

I cheated and did use the NOR1 upgrade option to try for the large suite they have in the hotel and we were happy to get it upon check-in. (reward nights for main stay and Euro 100 / night for the upgrade).

The lounge is very nice as are the staff, we took breakfast in the lounge each day and they were very helpful and even brought some items my wife missed up from the main kitchen and had it ready every day thereafter for her!

There are several restaurants in the building that belong to the Hilton and can all be credited to the room with a good variety of themes.

The room: I think it was around 100 square meters in size and had a brilliant view to the main attraction next door (the Frauenkirche) which we could see out of most every window in the place!

The suite consisted of a entrance foyer with side table, stand for umbrella, place for shoes and mirror. Off of this foyer there was a guest WC which was also done in marble.

Entrance area:

IMG_0296 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Guest WC:

IMG_0305 by BA_pics, on Flickr

There were then two doors, the left one is to the office area and this was a nice size to use for meetings and a bit of privacy if needed:

IMG_0295 by BA_pics, on Flickr

IMG_0294 by BA_pics, on Flickr

The door on the right leads you to the main living area and dining room:

IMG_0292 by BA_pics, on Flickr

The living room table is special...not only for the nice fruit platter and chocolates they replace every day...

IMG_0286 by BA_pics, on Flickr

As you can see here, the table is supported by original pieces from the tower of the Frauenkirche next door! (Hilton was a sponsor for the rebuild)...incredible that one has such history in your room...

IMG_0288 by BA_pics, on Flickr

The bedroom is at the end where the dining table is and very large as well with the usual closets and TV area and its own bathroom...

IMG_0291 by BA_pics, on Flickr

Bathroom (at the end of the visit, terrible picture sorry, it does have two sinks, a bath and shower, bidet, WC and much more space in marble...very nice):

IMG_0299 by BA_pics, on Flickr

It was great to sit here evenings drinking some wine with the windows open and people watch in the square below...I could have stayed here far longer let me tell you...

In any case, one of the main tourist attractions is the church outside the Hilton, which I only have a very poor picture of...

IMG_0236 by BA_pics, on Flickr

However, do take the time to go in...breathtaking.

The view on entering...the altar:

IMG_0226 by BA_pics, on Flickr

To the left of the altar:

IMG_0229 by BA_pics, on Flickr

And viewing from the altar area towards the back:

IMG_0231 by BA_pics, on Flickr

There are of course many other attractions here but will keep that for our next visit to this great city and hotel.

Hope this is of interest.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 5:40 pm

I'm ready to book a two night stay at the Hilton Dresden in Sept. At the Hilton reservation site, the description of some of the lower priced executive rooms only state that you have access to the lounge to enjoy "free drinks". Other higher priced executive rooms state that it comes with access to the lounge to enjoy "free drinks, free continental breakfast. snacks, alcoholic beverages during hours". I thought any executive room came with the free breakfast, snacks, drinks, etc. I called Hilton reservations and they said all the exec rooms do come with the full deal but I don't want to find out the hard way that they were wrong. I am a Hilton Gold.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 7:33 pm

Someone replied at the wrong thread I had this posted in and they said that the breakfast and the other perks were included in any executive room no matter what the hilton site said. If this is correct, thank you and no further replies are needed. Thanks again.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:29 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by oktoberfest
Someone replied at the wrong thread I had this posted in and they said that the breakfast and the other perks were included in any executive room no matter what the hilton site said. If this is correct, thank you and no further replies are needed. Thanks again.
Hello oktoberfest, short answer is that you get all lounge benefits if you have lounge access at the Hilton Dresden.

I stayed there last May and the lounge is one of the best available at a Hilton worldwide IMO. Unless something has changed in the meantime you will get all benefits regardless of the exec floor room you book (as long as you do get lounge access).

Unfortunately there are several threads on Dresden so you may also be interested in this thread hilton-dresden-hotel-trip-reports-reviews

and it may be worth simply searching for 'Dresden' in the 'search this forum' link on the upper right side of the FT webpage for Hilton hhonors...to read more about the hotel and lounge questions.

Hope this helps and you have a great stay.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Can anyone send me or post GM or Guest relations contact here please?
Old Oct 13, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
My pre-arrival contact is Mrs. Claudia Hoppe, Reservation Supervisor.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
So so stay

So so stay.

Pre-upgraded to an executive family. I am appreciative of this. I asked by email and got an offish reply which said on this occasion as a Diamond they would do it.

On check in would not move to a suite or clear nor-1 to a suite. Sunday night, 1 night stay, they were available to book. Front desk said it was because they had a lot of families. That was a bit disappointing.

Exec family room interesting. It was a corner room. Would be good as an executive upgrade but unsure about the family bit. There was not enough room for the sofa bed to be extended. It said 35m, which seemed generous. For a couple though, with the sofa, would be a nice room. A room tip- the centre rooms seem smaller and they "grow" slightly due to the shape of the building as you go to the corners.

Fifth floor is deluxe floor, fourth floor, executive floor. Rooms are similar though I think. Our room was on the third. At night very noisy. Go for an internal room if you need less noise but are willing to give up a potential view.

Exec lounge offerings were good, and it was surprisingly quiet. Pool was good, with an outdoor spa, very nice, although the Livingwell staff were a bit formidable. I found most staff a little curt, apart from one star in the Exec Lounge. Could be lost in translation.

Rate included breakfast but was told we had been given it as a Diamond member. No coffee or juice served, the waitress was not impressed when I asked for some, then was quite apologetic. Welcome amenity fruit bowl- nice- and sweets for my son- nice. Have to say the room was very clean- spotless.

Overall, Dresden is well worth a visit, but becoming more touristy than it was.

Last edited by Skimanant; Oct 30, 2013 at 10:52 am
Old Oct 29, 2014, 7:31 am

Hilton Dresden - recent experiences?

I found some dated information on the Hilton Dresden - seems like the lounge is nice, and the location is great. Trying to decide between this and the Westin Bellevue for the Christmas Markets.

Westin - 214E for an updated Junior Suite, which looks very nice and new. Hilton is 259E for the Executive Queen, upgrade to the two level King suite for around 45k points.

Gold status with SPG, generally value those points more than Hilton. What sways me toward the Hilton is location and the lounge: breakfast & evening drinks. I lost all status (was Diamond) with Hilton, but if we go with this I will pick up the Reserve card so won't have to pay for internet and the $100 credit will make the $ difference between Westin and Hilton a wash. No plans yet where I know I will use the Hilton two weekend nights in the next year, but can figure something out.

I know that I'm completely overthinking this. Appreciate any help though from folks who have stayed recently or if anyone has stayed at both Westin & Hilton. Also, we are traveling with a friend who is staying elsewhere - will they let us guest him into the lounge? The Hilton Waldorf let us do that, and we all really enjoyed that lounge.

Last edited by Mile-a-holic; Oct 29, 2014 at 7:43 am Reason: Reserve card, not the Surpass
Old Oct 29, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
I realize this is not an answer, but dare I say forget the Hilton points and stay at the Taschenbergpalais!
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by rstlsgirl
I realize this is not an answer, but dare I say forget the Hilton points and stay at the Taschenbergpalais!
The Hilton is 259E for an exec suite; Tashenbergpalais is over 400E for a base room. Looks beautiful, but....can't see it. Sometimes I will splurge...but doesn't seem like Dresden is the place to do it.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 3:57 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Can't comment on recent stay or attitude of staff there now but maybe the following helps.

-hilton lounge was very good with excellent staff, drinks and food. They even went out of their way to get my wife some breakfast items every day that were not on the normal lounge menu (and proactively without knowing if we would be eating there the next day or not)

-being German the lounge access was controlled and things were by the books but maybe they do make exceptions.

-the hotel has several restaurants attached and belonging to the hotel so you could get points for the meals if that is important to you (many different styles of food as well)

-if you can get the main suite it is massive and overlooks the main square with fantastic people watching opportunities from the room while dining or drinking. The room price was very reasonable I found for the convenience and quality one received.

Haven't tried the SPG properties in Dresden but the Hilton was very good by any standard.

I did a review on the trip report thread for this hotel back in 2012 IIRC, if that is of use.

Enjoy Dresden, it's a great city with plenty to see and do.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:25 am

Location: CGN (Cologne, Germany), travel agent, hardcore Sabre user
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, LH, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, AX Centurion
Can't say anything about the Westin, but I did stay at the Hilton two weeks ago.

Being Diamond had the choice of having breakfast in the Executive Lounge or the full buffet in the main restaurant. We chose the latter and were very happy with it.

The Ececutive Lounge serves plenty of hot and cold items in the evening along with alcoholic beverages. We could have gotten full without dining out, but we kind of only took the offerings as an appetizer and went out afterwards. Many restaurants around the corner. Quite touristy, but still nice.

Among many restaurants in the building is Ogura which is quite an authentic Sushi place. They operate separate from the Hilton and DO NOT charge to the room. So, no earning points there, if that is your goal.

Off topic: If you are not fainthearted I can highly recommend the Hygiene-Museum (http://www.dhmd.de/index.php?id=211). Currently, they have a fantastic temporary exhibition on sexuality, the human body, and the history of medical research and treatment. If you are from North America you may find some stuff offensive, but I still suggest you go ... It is within walking distance of the Gläserne Manufaktur ("transparent factory") where you can watch cars being built right in front of you (https://www.glaesernemanufaktur.de/en/). Highly recommendable, too.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 4:51 am

My experience this summer was: this is a tour group hotel. Didn't enjoy breakfast downstairs, no attention from the staff, didn't matter if the breakfast room was full or not. The breakfast room, by the way, is in the lobby - very loud and not very comfortable.
The lounge was nice, but the staff was very indifferent.
The christmas market will be right in front of the hotel - so expect lots of tourists, in the hotel and around. The rooms are pretty small, if staying there, ask for a quiet room.
Haven't stayed at the Westin, it's across the river Elbe, don't like the 70th look from the outside, but if the rooms are renovated - why not, but you're not in the middle of it. The Taschenbergpalais - well, different story, can't compare to a Hilton and a Westin.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 5:04 am

Programs: milesandmore, hhnors, BA executive club
Hilton Dresden

We stayed in a "King Junior Suite Duplex" in the Dresden Hilton in August:
  • staff was very friendly
  • location is perfect
  • rooms were very large (2 floors, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, dining area, working area) and really cosy
  • lounge is nice and more than sufficient for breakfast and dinner (!)

Overall, would definitely recommend the Hilton. We did contemplate staying at the Western, but were glad we didn't. That area is not so nice, and it is a bit of a walk - not extremely far, but still: it's nice to walk out of the hotel and be right in the center of things, as is the case with the Hilton...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:02 am

Thanks everyone!

ErikDuval, that is the exact room that we have reserved, so really appreciate the information.

summer01, thanks for level setting. I don't generally enjoy "tour group" hotels, but we are only there two nights (directly upon arriving from East Coast) so splurging there probably doesn't make sense.

jreichel, thanks for the tip! I'm a bit squeamish, but have been to a few medical museums so will try to check this out.

BotB, will check out the trip report this weekend.

Looks like we are leaning toward the Hilton. Proximity and the lounge are the drivers. We aren't huge eaters, so the convenience of breakfast & if we eat a good lunch just grazing in the evening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.