Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Dresden {DEU}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: Who knows anymore. It's a f---ing pandemic.
Also not hotel advice, but if I can recommend one more splurge, get a private tour of Dresden. The stories of that heartbreaking city made it my favorite place in the world.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: QF P1,UA 1K,HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just spent about an hour looking for this post! Thanks for the suggestion. I am heading to Dresden next week and remember reading about a museum suggestion. The Gläserne Manufaktur is closed however for a special event, but I will be checking out the Hygiene Museum.

I was unable to book Hilton, even with Diamond force completely sold out. I got lucky with the Westin found a room for only 7,000 points.

Originally Posted by jreichel
Off topic: If you are not fainthearted I can highly recommend the Hygiene-Museum (http://www.dhmd.de/index.php?id=211). Currently, they have a fantastic temporary exhibition on sexuality, the human body, and the history of medical research and treatment. If you are from North America you may find some stuff offensive, but I still suggest you go ... It is within walking distance of the Gläserne Manufaktur ("transparent factory") where you can watch cars being built right in front of you (https://www.glaesernemanufaktur.de/en/). Highly recommendable, too.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by windycityf
I just spent about an hour looking for this post! Thanks for the suggestion. I am heading to Dresden next week and remember reading about a museum suggestion. The Gläserne Manufaktur is closed however for a special event, but I will be checking out the Hygiene Museum.

I was unable to book Hilton, even with Diamond force completely sold out. I got lucky with the Westin found a room for only 7,000 points.
I would recommend checking back. I have noticed that several days it shows sold out, but the next day it is available (just checking for a lower rate). Seems like Friday night is the issue.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by Mile-a-holic
I found some dated information on the Hilton Dresden - seems like the lounge is nice, and the location is great. Trying to decide between this and the Westin Bellevue for the Christmas Markets.

Westin - 214E for an updated Junior Suite, which looks very nice and new. Hilton is 259E for the Executive Queen, upgrade to the two level King suite for around 45k points.

Gold status with SPG, generally value those points more than Hilton. What sways me toward the Hilton is location and the lounge: breakfast & evening drinks. I lost all status (was Diamond) with Hilton, but if we go with this I will pick up the Reserve card so won't have to pay for internet and the $100 credit will make the $ difference between Westin and Hilton a wash. No plans yet where I know I will use the Hilton two weekend nights in the next year, but can figure something out.

I know that I'm completely overthinking this. Appreciate any help though from folks who have stayed recently or if anyone has stayed at both Westin & Hilton. Also, we are traveling with a friend who is staying elsewhere - will they let us guest him into the lounge? The Hilton Waldorf let us do that, and we all really enjoyed that lounge.
For what it is worth here is a short review I did on Australian Frequent Flyer just over a year ago. http://www.australianfrequentflyer.c...tml#post923969 Makes your rate look a bit high.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Upgrade at Hilton Dresden

Hi all,

I booked a two nights stay with my wife for Easter at Hilton Dresden; I booked the HHonors Discount Rate, I am Gold.
Room is the Hilton Guest Room, but I see I have an eStandby upgrade available for free for a Hilton Deluxe Room.
What happens if I get this upgrade? No more upgrade will be offered at check-in? For example lounge access or something similar?

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond
We stayed here October, 2014 and accepted the eStandBy upgrade offer. Received lounge access and a good breakfast buffet in the dining room. Not sure if our room was an upgrade but it was very nice. The location is perfect.

I thought the staff here were very good and the concierge was excellent. We checked out but left our luggage to do some sightseeing before taking a late train to Berlin. When we returned and asked for our luggage and a taxi to the train station, we found out due to a strike there were NO trains! Within 20 minutes the Concierge researched alternate options and got us the last seats on a bus. Not what we had planned but we were grateful to get to Berlin for our flight the following day.

Lesson learned: discuss plans with the concierge - in advance - so they can alert you to potential problems.

Forgot to mention - we are Hilton Gold

Last edited by MellieAZ; Feb 18, 2016 at 10:02 am Reason: added comment
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:27 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Please use existing thread

CLOSE THREAD.

Existing thread for Hilton Dresden: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-hhonors/126909-hilton-dresden-deu.html
Old Feb 18, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by MarcoGT
Hi all,

I booked a two nights stay with my wife for Easter at Hilton Dresden; I booked the HHonors Discount Rate, I am Gold.
Room is the Hilton Guest Room, but I see I have an eStandby upgrade available for free for a Hilton Deluxe Room.
What happens if I get this upgrade? No more upgrade will be offered at check-in? For example lounge access or something similar?

Thanks
Congratulation for chosing this hotel. Best location in Dresden, very nice staff, rates fully ok, many and good bistros and restaurants on-site (and around). I stay more often here, just coming from a stay there again.

As Gold I was upgraded to Executive floor / lounge access always. Also Nor1 0$ upgraded to Deluxe room I was again upgraded at check-in. Well I can´t finally say it if you go first time there and Easter weekend, but Hilton Dresden makes great efforts to satisfy HHonors members, IMHO beside Hilton Berlin the best Hilton branded hotel in Germany, so there is a good chance they upgrade you as I said.

Take time to visit the Barock Ensemble with Semperoper, Zwinger, Frauenkirche etc. in the beautiful historic center of Dresden.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Stayed at Hilton Dresden on Easter weekend (Fri-Sun); booked the basic room with the HHonors rate; got an upgrade to the next room level but asked in the comment for EL access.
The day before the check-in I got a call from the manager saying that they would have done the most to give me EL/EF but due to the fact the hotel was full it was difficult (lots of Diamond and people who bought the exec rooms).

I did check-in online (got upgraded to next level room); at desk, they call the manager who talked directly to me and gave me access to EL which I never found full

Breakfast in restaurant

Very nice hotel, wonderful position

HHonors Gold.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 3:23 am

Hi All,
Arrived 25th March 2016, great calming journey from Prague, lunch on train and beautiful scenery which I will never get board of seeing.
Okay Easter weekend, large crowd at check in, with people just pushing in whenever a person was free, and no regard for those waiting behind.
Welcomed back been about 2 years since I been, again Lounge changes but I thought I give it a try.
Slightly different room to what I usually have, but it was still a smoking room, when I went in noticed the bathroom floor looked grubby, mostly pitted marks on white tiles. I wetted some toilet paper and one of the marks came up, didn’t look pleasant.
Went back down too reception and pointed out what happened, apology offered and housekeeping was sent up to clean floor.
Freshened up went out and at about 6.15 went to lounge, large queues for hot soup and a hot potato cheese flan cut into small bites, nice selection of cold bits and cheese. No sprits but Red / White wine and beer.
Lounge on first floor with smoking area outside by the side of pool.
Have look for the thread but can’t find it where a person was having a fit about the price not being correct, on checking out even though I had a pre-paid rate I was asked for a 5 Euro city tax, which is based on room value.
I will check my paper work staying again in 5 weeks to see what it says.
Basset
Old May 1, 2016, 11:28 am

City Tax

Hi All
Stayed 1 night on 30th April, just giving everyone heads up after my last stay I checked paper work and on advance rates it says all taxes included. This is not correct again Today checked out and had to pay 7 Euro city tax, the only info I can find if you google Dresden Ibis gives you info. Nothing on Hilton, it is based on rate.

Basset
Old May 1, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by basset44
Hi All
Stayed 1 night on 30th April, just giving everyone heads up after my last stay I checked paper work and on advance rates it says all taxes included. This is not correct again Today checked out and had to pay 7 Euro city tax, the only info I can find if you google Dresden Ibis gives you info. Nothing on Hilton, it is based on
If you further Google on "lodging tax Dresden" you will find the official government document - look for the pdf document.

Apparently the tax cannot be collected in advance.

Since the tax started only about 10 months ago, my guess is that the Hilton hasn't gotten around to replacing that "all taxes included" text
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by BotB
I cheated and did use the NOR1 upgrade option to try for the large suite they have in the hotel and we were happy to get it upon check-in. (reward nights for main stay and Euro 100 / night for the upgrade).

It was great to sit here evenings drinking some wine with the windows open and people watch in the square below...I could have stayed here far longer let me tell you...
4 years on, and I'm delighted to find your report and your pictures. I splurged and have booked this with points for an upcoming stay.

For anyone, how far is the hotel from the airport? and from the train station?

I remember some boat rides on the river but I don't remember if we walked to the pier. How far is it, and is there a particularly pleasant destination in the summer?
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If arriving by train, if you have light luggage you can take the tram 8 or 9, leaves from outside the main train station. 10 minute ride, get off at Theaterplatz station. You will see the Semperoper. Walk in the opposite direction about 1 1/2 blocks and you are at the Hilton. Cost is €2,30 but an all day pass is €6.

If you have heavier luggage a short cab ride will get you there very quickly.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 4:39 pm
Community Director Emerita

Nice directions. Thank you, Non-NonRev.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.