Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:02 am

Just found out about this. Add me to the list of customers who are ending their relationship with Hilton. What a terrible business move.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by deant
You can still make award reservations at some hotels. Tried the Hilton Waikoloa Village and everything appears normal (exception is, as has been for some time, some "premium" rooms are less than the standard rooms).
Interesting. I have been trying since Oct.10th for this property for April 2012; every single day, including yesterday morning, w/o any luck what so ever. Every room type. Tried booking in single day fashions, etc. No dice. Same error message. Will try again this morning and see what happens.

Edited to add that after another failed attempt to book the Hilton Waikoloa on line, I finally called the Hhonors desk, and with a patient rep, was able to book an Ocean view room w/ points.

Last edited by toadman; Oct 14, 2011 at 10:28 am Reason: Updated info
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
You can still make award reservations at some hotels. Tried the Hilton Waikoloa Village and everything appears normal (exception is, as has been for some time, some "premium" rooms are less than the standard rooms).
... but did you take it all the way through to see if it bombed out on the last step like others have reported? Just looking at the first availability page has proven to be false.

I'm starting to think there is only one IT group out there servicing Hilton, Marriott, AA, and other sites. They all have messed up their sites in the last few months. Do we need a congressional investigation? There is room for more foulups.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:18 am

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This Hilton HHonors redemption night pricing scam is Hilton's equivalent of Delta SkyMiles' mileage ticket pricing scam. Hilton may end up trying to talk its way out of this situation, but the matter will remain that Hilton management is intent upon delivering for themselves a financial return by gutting the value that customers get from points redeemed. That is what this is all about, and it impacts more than just those properties which are "Premium Room Reward only" year-round.
IIRC, Hilton hired someone over from DL to redesign its website, so I guess this is the method used to make HHonors more like SkyPesos. It is truly a shame if this is in fact what is occuring brand wide.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
... but did you take it all the way through to see if it bombed out on the last step like others have reported? Just looking at the first availability page has proven to be false.
There is definitely problems booking certain properties on-line. I would recommend calling the Hhonors desk if you are looking to book a property. I was unsuccessful on line but a call to the Hhonors desk, allowed me to get a premium room for less than the current standard room rate of 50k.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
GOOD NEWS

Last night at about midnight Pacific time, I sent an email to Christopher Nassetta who is the head of Hilton Worldwide expressing my concerns about the change in policy and the implications on future award availability on all Hilton hotels and the bad publicity that it is causing. This morning at 6:00 AM Pacific I received a call from one of his underlings (he didn't realize I was in the Pacific time zone). He thanked me for the email and he explained that IT IS AN IT ISSUE and it is being addressed^^^^^^^^. He also apologized for some of the erroneous messages that have come out of Hilton and they are talking to the people who sent out the messages. He said there is no intent to eliminate standard rewards at Bora Bora or Moorea (those were the only ones that I specifically addressed).

We will need to wait to see how long it takes for them to correct the situation.

So bottom line, Hilton Worldwide is working the situation.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
So bottom line, Hilton Worldwide is working the situation.
that's really good but i will believe it once it is done....you never know with hilton....they have made some crazy stupid decisions as of late....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
that's really good but i will believe it once it is done....you never know with hilton....they have made some crazy stupid decisions as of late....
Forgive my skepticism as well, but I don't think this was a mistake at all. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
I also question if it was a "trial balloon" to get people's reaction. If it was, it was very stupid because you know that there would be a massive outcry.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by rwalia99
Forgive my skepticism as well, but I don't think this was a mistake at all. I'd love to be wrong, though.
i agree....they probably thought they could get away with something like this....then they realised they were getting bad press, getting lots of complaints & people were threatening to leave or actually left the chain....all of a sudden it seemed like a bad idea....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:24 am
Company Representative - Honors by Hilton

Programs: Hilton Honors
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new ways you can redeem points. We want to apologize for any confusion and would like to clarify a few points.

We are excited to announce that members can, for the first time, use HHonors points to book more than 200,000 premium rooms and suites. These premium rooms are some of the most desired in the world. The new Premium Room Rewards and Premium Room Upgrade Rewards enable our members to book any room in any hotel around the world using Hilton HHonors points. Throughout the years, we have received feedback from many of our members requesting this enhancement. We believe having premium rooms and suites now redeemable for HHonors points is a great addition to our program.

While rolling out this reward program, we did experience a technical glitch with a small handful of hotels which caused these properties to appear to have no standard rooms. We are working on resolving this issue so that standard rooms can continue to be booked with Hilton HHonors points at these properties.

In addition to the three new reward products, Hilton HHonors members can continue to redeem their points to enjoy free standard rooms at the more than 3,750 hotels worldwide with no blackout dates. There have been no changes to the Standard Room Rewards product, allowing members to continue to redeem standard rooms at category one hotels through category seven hotels, like select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts.

We value your loyalty and membership to Hilton HHonors and hope that you enjoy our new offerings.

-HiltonHHonors Representative
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:30 am

I can't even begin to tell you the relief I am begining to feel (though will feel 1000x better once everything is booked). Thank you for the update and THANK YOU to all the Diamond members that kept this thread going and stood up to Hilton against this. If this works out, I feel like I should take you all on my honemoon as well! Ah, nevermind....guess that wouldn't result in a long marriage!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HHonorsRepresentative
Thank you for sharing your feedback about the new ways you can redeem points. We want to apologize for any confusion and would like to clarify a few points.

We are excited to announce that members can, for the first time, use HHonors points to book more than 200,000 premium rooms and suites. These premium rooms are some of the most desired in the world. The new Premium Room Rewards and Premium Room Upgrade Rewards enable our members to book any room in any hotel around the world using Hilton HHonors points. Throughout the years, we have received feedback from many of our members requesting this enhancement. We believe having premium rooms and suites now redeemable for HHonors points is a great addition to our program.

While rolling out this reward program, we did experience a technical glitch with a small handful of hotels which caused these properties to appear to have no standard rooms. We are working on resolving this issue so that standard rooms can continue to be booked with Hilton HHonors points at these properties.

In addition to the three new reward products, Hilton HHonors members can continue to redeem their points to enjoy free standard rooms at the more than 3,750 hotels worldwide with no blackout dates. There have been no changes to the Standard Room Rewards product, allowing members to continue to redeem standard rooms at category one hotels through category seven hotels, like select Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts.

We value your loyalty and membership to Hilton HHonors and hope that you enjoy our new offerings.

thanks for the clarification....any idea when we would be able to book reward rooms again????the last few days we have been unable to do so online....
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:31 am

The people here are extremely forgiving if, in fact, this was all just a "glitch." The response sounded good but I guess we'll have to see what happens when we actually try to book rooms...
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond

Could you comment on how this new scheme might affect the situation I described in my previous post, # 233?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.