Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:43 pm

Arrow Hilton Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands (AMS)

For forthcoming trip, I am comparing the Hilton properties. As of yet, no specific mention of the Diamond benefits at the DT NDSM. And does anyone know for sure when the new AMS Airport Hilton will open?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: NW Gold; HH Diamond; looking at SPG Blue card and sighing longingly
Originally Posted by atmd
For forthcoming trip, I am comparing the Hilton properties. As of yet, no specific mention of the Diamond benefits at the DT NDSM. And does anyone know for sure when the new AMS Airport Hilton will open?

Thanks in advance.
No lounge (or if there is, it's well hidden), but we got free full breakfast every day for our brood of 5. Not bad. Could not say about room upgrades as we needed specific bed counts and sizes. Crapload of cookies every night too.

Very nice hotel, as I mentioned in a previous post, but if you're in Amsterdam for leisure I think your decision of where to stay should hinge on more than Diamond perks, as this location is not for everyone.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I just checked out of the Wharf Doubletree yesterday. I enjoyed the property: small, super quiet, nice Diamond recognition and good quality breakfast included.

The ferry ride is easy, even fun, but certainly something to factor in if you need to pop back to the room for some reason throughout the day. Not convenient if you're back and forthing.

I liked the property. Staff was super, everything new and clean.

The DT by Centraal Station would be much easier to access from town and airport/train, of course. Had a lounge upstairs and a Starbucks right in the lobby.
I would have probably stayed at the Centraal property, but they didn't have availability the third day of my trip, so instead of hopping around, I just went with the Wharf DT. Glad I did, but I'm a very light packer and didn't need to haul bags down to the ferry and all that. If you're a large luggage type, go with the in town properties. I imagine the in town ones are nowhere near as quiet as the DT Wharf would be.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by BotB

-An excellent alternative if you don't necessarily need to be in Amsterdam itself is the nearby Hilton Hague. See the associated FT thread for reviews. Very good pricing compared to the AMS hotels in general and not too far away (IIRC around 40 minutes more from Schipol by train.) Outstanding hotel and excellent HHonors treatment in a great city that gives you all the Dutch experience but in a more manageable bite size chunk than Amsterdam (or if Amsterdam is a bit too full on for some and you want a nicer more relaxed city with similar flair/canals etc...)

^
Could you confirm for me that the windows can be opened in The Hilton Hague?
I am almost sure judging from pictures.
And I am sorry about asking here, but my very useful ( for me at least... ) thread about Hiltons in Europe with opening windows has been swallowed up by one of the new general threads.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: HH D
Sorry to hear your useful thread was merged with a lot of waste.

Hilton The Hague has large floor to ceiling windows that will open a safe distance. I think every room has at least two of them. The hotel has inner and outside rooms. In most of the outside rooms you'll hear 'traffic light pattern' flows of local car traffic all night long. Not many cars, but it'll make me close the windows halfway the night. Many of these rooms have a somewhat nice city view. The inside rooms just offer a view of the inner roof garden, but they are extremely quiet all night.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 2:12 am

Thank you for confirming and for the details about noisy rooms/ quiet rooms - very useful information for me to have.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I just checked out of the Wharf Doubletree yesterday. I enjoyed the property: small, super quiet, nice Diamond recognition and good quality breakfast included.

The ferry ride is easy, even fun, but certainly something to factor in if you need to pop back to the room for some reason throughout the day. Not convenient if you're back and forthing.

I liked the property. Staff was super, everything new and clean.
Thank you for the review.
Could the windows be opened?
(To the outside for fresh air)
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I'll be at the DT Centraal for a full week for a company conference. Certainly will do a review after the stay.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
If you had to pick between Doubletree by Hilton AMS Central Station and Hilton AMS...

If you had to pick between Doubletree by Hilton Amsterdam central station and Hilton Amsterdam, which would you pick? I'm trying to make a decision, but i've been hitting a road block for the past 2 weeks. Please give me the reason(s).
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
Did you read the trip advisor reviews? I would make the decision based on a combination of rate, location, and hotel features. The closer to central station, the better. Most tram lines depart from a huge area in front of central station. Look at both properties on google maps to get an idea of location.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would not ever stay at the Doubletree again. The rooms are tiny and the decor is by Ikea. The location is convenient to Amsterdam Centraal, but is otherwise not appealing.

Occasionally a Diamond will score a nice room upgrade at the DT and write a glowing review. But that's room upgrade roulette, and if you lose, it makes for an disappointing stay.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Unless you score a full suite upgrade at the DT you are in a shower only (no bath) bathroom. Something I abhor unless a less than 12 hour airport layover

Hilton Amsterdam current stated policy is to try and give HHDs booking base room one of the J/Suites which are single big rooms and very nice.

Lounge offering is very poor at the DT and HHDs are allowed full breakfast in Hilton Restaurant this year
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, National Car EE, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Platnium/Lifetime Silver
If room size is what is most important to you than Hilton AMS is probably a better choice.

If you are going to actually want to explore most of central Amsterdam, than the Doubletree is a much better choice as it is much easier to get to anywhere in AMS from Centraal Station than where the Hilton is. In addition, Diamond Guests are allowed to get breakfast in the restaurant which has a much larger offering than the lounge. I can personally vouch for this as I stayed at the DT in late July-early August.

The room size did not bother me as I either was sleeping in my hotel or enjoying what Amsterdam had to offer. I would not hesitate to stay at the Doubletree AMS again. In addition, if you are going when its warm, they have an amazing rooftop bar/lounge that gives great views of all of Amsterdam.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
I like both properties. I would pick depending upon your priorities. When we stayed at the DoubleTree we needed to be near the Central Station and it is really convenient for walking around. The facilities at the hotel (restaurant, bar) are very nice, and breakfast is fantastic. The Hilton is in a very nice location and is very romantic (although the building is ugly). It is a bit annoying that the trams are not very frequent. I loved the Doubletree (despite some bad reviews here) and I loved the Hilton. I think you can't go wrong with either. The rooms at the Doubletree are smaller than the Hilton's so if you expect to stay in your room a lot during your stay I would go with the Hilton. But the DoubleTree was a very nice experience for us.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Andriyko
But the DoubleTree was a very nice experience for us.
You're a Diamond and you scored an unusual room upgrade. It would be appropriate to qualify your gushing praise for this property because most guests are NOT going to have the same experience.

I've stayed all over Amsterdam (at least a half dozen properties) and this was my least favorite hotel ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.