Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
I've stayed at both Amsterdam and Amsterdam Airport. Amsterdam is great with a great lounge and walking distance to the tram and the Van Gogh Museum. It is usually quite a bit cheaper to stay at the airport and access to the city is pretty easy from there.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 3:28 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Hiltons in Amsterdam - of course !!

I've stayed this year at the Hilton in Amsterdam and can confirm that it is nice but a quiet location, looks a couple of miles from the city centre which you can see from the 10th floor club lounge, which has great 360 degree views.
As a Diamond I got upgraded to the Exec Floor (8th/9th) with lounge access. Food there is not as good as some other Hiltons (notably Cavalieri in Rome).
I took a taxi to the hotel as there was no obvious/easy alternative, then had a meeting near the city centre, from where I took the train back to the airport. This was cheap and quick, so staying at the airport shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I am going back to Amsterdam and Rotterdam in a couple of weeks; staying both places at Hiltons.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Travel The World
Hiltons in Amsterdam - of course !!

I am going back to Amsterdam and Rotterdam in a couple of weeks; staying both places at Hiltons.
How were your stays?

-techlady
Old Jun 20, 2005, 1:53 am

Programs: Hhonors (Diamond); HGVC (Elite); Ex/Comp'd - Priority Club (Platinum); UA (Gold); KLM (Gold);
Originally Posted by techlady
How were your stays?

-techlady
Changed my mind at late notice and went to Sofia, Bulgaria instead ... Hilton of course
Have booked the Amsterdam Airport Hilton for August though.
Old Jun 20, 2005, 8:01 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Hilton Amsterdam

Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol

Hilton Royal Parc Soestduinen

Hilton Amsterdam is quite nice. Search for Amsterdam in this thread. Lots of great information.
Old Oct 18, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Short trip report:

Checked in at 7:30am - room was available. Upgraded to Executive level view a view of the canal. Great view of rooftops.

Location is a 5 minute walk from the nearest tram (16) and a 10-minute run from Museumplein. Otherwise, the hotel is located further away from the action than I would've liked, south-west of the City center.

Room was small but adequate. Bathroom amenities feature the much-hated Hilton Europe "test-tube" shampoo, bath gel etc. Somebody should change this, impossible to squeeze out from, impossible to stand upright etc. Shower water pressure was abysmal. No separate shower stall.

Breakfast was comped at the restaurant downstairs (Roberto's) - excellent spread with superlative service. I got breakfast vouchers handed to me at the Executive lounge after asking them - not sure if it is a perk. In fact, service staff at this hotel was uniformly excellent.

Internet connection was with swisseurocom hotspot in rooms at a pricey Euro 29.

Welcome letter and amenity was placed in room the evening for first night - strawberries with an assortment of cream.

One amenity that was great was the free rental of the hotel bicycle. Book early - I think they only have 2 bicycles total. Be warned that bicycles are typical Dutch bikes that have only pedal brakes and no handbrakes - takes getting used to for those several year years removed from childhood.

Vondelpark is a 5 minute run away and my daily run invariably took me there, eschewing the treadmill at the gym in the hotel. The gym is free for Diamond/Gold members but you need to get vouchers for use. I never saw it.

Summary: hotel rooms small and not luxurious but business-like. Perfectly acceptable with lots of light and good view of quaint townhouse rooftops. Location not the best. Superb service and great breakfast. Lounge only open 2 times a day. Free bike rental. Close to airport - 10 minutes by taxi.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: UA 1P, HH Diamond, *Wood Gold
Hilton in Amsterdam

Can anyone share their experiences with any of the Hiltons in Amsterdam? I am planning a RTW starting in the summer and will be using Hilton Awards for most of my stays unless the rates are reasonable. Therefore, I'm looking to maximize the number of points that I have.

Thanks in advance for the information.
Old Apr 2, 2006, 4:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There are several reports on the Hilton Amsterdam, some of them fairly recent and including transportation, etc. - I recommend using "Search this Forum" at the Hilton HHonors forum main page and using the keyword Amsterdam. IMO there's not much sense to starting a new thread with repeated information and diverting more bandwidth, when it is all there for the reaping.

For some information and a humorous thread on how NOT to search Hilton's website (using a five mile limit on Amsterdam while searching for the airport hotel,) check this one. Try it - you'll like it.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 2, 2006 at 5:04 am
Old Apr 3, 2006, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P, HH Diamond, *Wood Gold
Thanks for the information!
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:37 pm

Amsterdam: Your suggestions please if you also have status with ICH and Marriott

We have forced layover on Dec 5 arriving at 1:30pm and departing the next day at 3:30pm. We have never been into Amsterdam so am looking at a downtown location to spend the time to explore. Just got done turning in 250,000 points for 2 AXON stays in Germany so am exploring ways to save on my depleting points stash.

I am a Hilton diamond and was looking to book a 40,000 award stay but after reading the varied results for upgrade and the downside of location I decided to look at the other hotel memberships that I have.

Amstel Intercontinental. Base member - would need to purchase 4,000 points at 12.50 per thousand to redeem for the award stay. Also saw that I can purchase a Gold membership for 50.00 if that would help for upgrade (or be worth it).

Marriott. Base member - would need to purchase 8,000 points at 12.50 per thousand to book award stay. Looked like good location.

So, would you use HHonors or use up orphan accounts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gwen
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The AMS Hilton location isn't that bad, contrary to what gets posted. It's been a while since I've stayed there (I stay at Marriott now) & at the time I didn't have much status w/ Hilton (think Silver then) so no access to e.l./upgrade (although I remember the room being of a decent size).

I stay at Marriott each year when I'm in town for a week-long biz trip. The location is quite good, close to museums, Leidesplein, main tram lines, etc. And they've been known to upgrade silvers. Since it looks like you'll be there in an 'off-time', you might luck out w/ the upgrade. You can certainly request it in your comments. It's been recently renovated. Here's a link to what newly decorated rooms look like, plus some views of the Leidesplain from rooms.

http://public.fotki.com/SkiAdcock/ho...rdam-marriott/

Don't have experience with ICH in AMS.

But if you're trying to save on Hilton points & you have the orphan points in the other accounts, for the small amount of $$ to purchase I'd go w/ the orphan accounts.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold Vip, Amex Gold, Flying Blue Silver
Living in Amsterdam, I would definitely advise you to go to the Amstel Intercontinental. The location of the Hilton is not too good, especially compared to the Amstel (which is within walking distance of the city centre and tourist atractions). Furthermore, the rooms in the Hilton are a bit outdated (at least when I stayed there last year).
The Amstel is seen as one of the best hotels in The Netherlands.^
Old Apr 7, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by flying_dutchman
The Amstel is seen as one of the best hotels in The Netherlands.^
Actually it gets rated as one of the best in the world too.

Amstel hands down.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I am in agreement with the 2 posters above me that Hilton should be # 3 on the list.

Both ICH & Marriott have good locations, so that's a tie. The rate for ICH (points + gold purchase) & Marriott (pts purchase) both come out to $100, so that's a tie as well. Toss a coin & based on the above glowing recommendations sounds like Amstel is the one to go w/.

But if upgrade is important to you you might want to check out the ICH forum & see how they are on upgrades. Anyway, I think you'll be fine with either Amstel or Marriott. Save the Hilton points.

PS - Check w/ both ICH & Marriott to see if award stay is available on the night you need it for; that might make a difference too as to which you go w/.

Cheers.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:04 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I don't know how you value your points, but the Amstel InterCon is the best hotel. I'm not a fan of the Marriott (I'm Gold Elite, typing from a room there now); the Amsterdam Hilton is really not bad, but it's a bit out of the way as other people have noted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.