Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Amsterdam, Netherlands {NLD}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Sorry to be pedantic but none of this is "mattress running". It's "hotel hopping".
For me Wizla's can qualify as Matress Run. A Mattress run does not need to be left until end of qual year (December) to call it that. Also with HH nights/stays requirement then hotel hopping logically becomes a requirement of a HH stays qualifying mattress run.

If Wizla is needing 3 stays for 2017 HHD, then staying at HH hotels 3x for required missing 3stays when Wizla would not stay at HH it is mattress running to me.
I usually do such a run by mid year to lock in my hotel status needing most nights at cheaper summer holiday rates, rather than wait until December.

Though I'd also accept argument that a Matress Run is possibly only when you stay Hotel nights when you would not have in fact stayed in hotels to reach elite status, but then again Wizla planned his whole birthday trip as a Mattress Run.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
@wizla
I have been living in amsterdam since 2006 (currenty out in Asia though), know it well, plus stayed in most IHG/HH/MR hotels, or guested others
(ps enjoy your reports, hope to one of these days will coincide with one of your stays, plus my Birthday is Oct 21st.... different star sign though Libra v Scopio)

nb Hampton airport hotel 15minute train ride (there is a shuttle minibus) and totally isolated, next to eg others eg HIE and CP of IHG.

For first night consider Hampton Bjilmer (direct train from Schiphol) instead of airport Hampton, at least shops etc nearby if you need to get out, and sets you up for next days much easier hotel swap. Hampton East amsterdam also exists but have never stayed there.

DT Central Station (ex Mint) is great location wise for trawling Amsterdam Center, including redlight districts. Plus 10min walk you have metro/trams at CS to everywhere.
DT CS itself doesn't have great rooms, or a good lounge, though restaurant b/f is good, DT upgrades unless to the full suites ( which are rare even for HHD) means a shower only room (no bath). DT CS charges for early checkins so don't bother turning up more than 1hour before checkin time

Hilton Amsterdam is nice. Policy is to try and upgrade HHD's to J/Suite, hopefuly end of corridor canal view. Lounge food is so so, but plentiful, and restaurant b/f is very good, order from a la carte b/f choices via waiters.
Assuming the nearby road to/from ConcertHall/MuseumPlein is no longer dug up, walk 1000m over bridge for trams to MuseumPlein, Ams C. S. etc. Even a fast bus from that location direct to airport in 20minutes.

For getting around get a travel pass for metro+buses, 1day/2day/3day/4day/7day. Can buy at machines in any metro station. Also Tourist Office/GVB outside Ams C.S. that had all the guides/pamplets/sells-tram-tickets

Official City Guide URL
o https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/ (official Ams City Portal)
o https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/i-am/i...rdam-city-card
(The I amsterdam City Card consists of a smart card, a public transport pass and detailed city map and provides over 50 free and 60 discounted offer)

Restaurants
o Recommended Restaurant = Dynasty (next street up from flower market, Reguliersdwarsstraat 30, 1017 BM Amsterdam)
(med Price, excellent food+choices+value, my favourite, signature dish = Secret of Ox)
https://www.viamichelin.com/web/Rest...y-115359-41102

Things/Places to see in Amsterdam
o Walk in Vondel Park
o Floating Flower Market
o Amsterdam Zoo
o MuseumPlein, multiple museums (trams 2, 5, from Ams Station)
o Anne Franke House
o Heineken brewery tour
o Canal Cruises, 2hour and longer (most leave from Ams CS water or at start of Damrak street)
o Canal Hopper Day Pass (can get off canal boats at various stops, eg Ams CS, Leidseplein)
o Redlight district tour (includes drinks)
o Leidseplein square and it's bars
o PC Hooftstraat is THE shopping street in Amsterdam
.. Shops (ALL Famous Brands, Gucci etc) all in one street just off MuseumPlein
Hey,thanks for the info......very helpful!....... my birthday is 22nd October so like you I'm a libra.......yeah the objective is to lock in diamond for next year but I'm traveling with an open mind as to explore Amsterdam however I can confirm I will be drinking large amounts of chocomel as I love that stuff! Haha, .......yes it would be great to meet sometime and I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.......looking forward to this trip, fly out next Wednesday night!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:25 am

@ basset and flysmart - cheers guys!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
For me Wizla's can qualify as Matress Run.
A mattress run is usually defined as not spending the night in the hotel.

If I check into the hotel down the road from my home, I'm doing a mattress run.

If I go away for the weekend because I need a stay credit or two, I'm going away for the weekend, not doing a mattress run. FWIW, going away for the weekend isn't a mileage run either.

In both cases you might be conscious of elite status needs, but you aren't doing it ONLY for the miles/stay credits, which is where I believe most people draw the line on calling it a "run".
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
When does the party start?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
When does the party start?
In about 2 hours.......now about to drive to the airport!
Old Oct 31, 2017, 12:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I'm looking at a stay in late summer 2018. I know that Hilton usually has a sale, but I'd like to book a flexible rate to lock in something, just in case.

Both Hampton Inn properties are a similar rate--
* Centre East
* Arena Boulevard

Initially I booked the Centre East property, thinking that it is closer to town and would be easier to get in/out of.
However, after browsing through some threads here, it sounds like Arena is much easier to get to/from the airport, and is about as easy to get to and from Centraal Station.
I've been to Amsterdam before (I did a study abroad program in college in Haarlem and have visited since), so I know town a bit. Will either be by myself or perhaps a friend who has never been.

I've stayed at the Hilton before (I think it was the only Hilton property in town then). While it is a nice property, the prices are a little high for me. But if there's a sale, I may be swayed.

Doubletree NDSM has decent prices, but I'm concerned it would be difficult getting to/from.
The Doubletree Centraal would be a great location, but the prices are out of my reach here.

Any thoughts on which Hampton Inn property would be better?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I'm looking at a stay in late summer 2018. I know that Hilton usually has a sale, but I'd like to book a flexible rate to lock in something, just in case.

Both Hampton Inn properties are a similar rate--
* Centre East
* Arena Boulevard

Initially I booked the Centre East property, thinking that it is closer to town and would be easier to get in/out of.
However, after browsing through some threads here, it sounds like Arena is much easier to get to/from the airport, and is about as easy to get to and from Centraal Station.
I've been to Amsterdam before (I did a study abroad program in college in Haarlem and have visited since), so I know town a bit. Will either be by myself or perhaps a friend who has never been.

I've stayed at the Hilton before (I think it was the only Hilton property in town then). While it is a nice property, the prices are a little high for me. But if there's a sale, I may be swayed.

Doubletree NDSM has decent prices, but I'm concerned it would be difficult getting to/from.
The Doubletree Centraal would be a great location, but the prices are out of my reach here.

Any thoughts on which Hampton Inn property would be better?
I just come back from a mattress run in Amsterdam ( see reviews) staying at Hampton ( airport ) ' doubletree Ndsm and the Hilton.......the Hilton was far superior than the rest but yes it was expensive, that said if you can put up with the 12 min free ferry ride from centraal station the Ndsm one is worth doing, I payed €87 and it was worth it!......typically upgrade diamonds to water view rooms.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:59 am

I'm also debating between the Hampton Centre East and Hampton Arena Boulevard for a stay in December. It'll be my first time in Amsterdam and I'm mostly interested in touristy things, but used to public transportation so having to take a train or tram somewhere isn't an issue (as long as it's reliable!).

The one on Arena is slightly less expensive and looks to have good transit links, so leaning towards that but would love to hear others' opinions.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
I have stayed at the Hampton Arena location. It was brand new at the time (2013), and I really liked the hotel. It was the nicest Hampton I have ever stayed in. The train made for easy access to the airport and the tourist locations.
lss250 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA, HH
We stayed at Hampton Arena - the stay was great, but it is truly out of the way. Hampton Centre East is much more centrally located and, I believe, would work better for sightseeing. It will be much easier to swing by your room and take a break, compared to Arena.
aztimm and lss250 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Any recent stays or thoughts? I am trying to decide between the DoubleTree Central and the Hilton. First time in Amsterdam. Diamond. Would prefer convenience, if the hotel itself and the rooms are good - including Diamond upgrades.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Any recent stays or thoughts? I am trying to decide between the DoubleTree Central and the Hilton. First time in Amsterdam. Diamond. Would prefer convenience, if the hotel itself and the rooms are good - including Diamond upgrades.

Thoughts?
I really liked the Ceentral station DT for convenience. Next to the train station that has direct service to AMS a couple times an hour. If you like to walk you don't even need a car, the only time I used transportation was to and from the airport. Lots of places to eat and easy walk to Ann Frank house.

I received one of the best upgrades as a Hilton ever there. I arrived around 11 a.m. and they gave me a huge two room sky suite with a great view. Back then I was staying with Hilton a lot and the front desk clerk made a comment about all my Hilton stays and sounded like they gave upgrade preference to people who had a lot of stays over people who had status via a credit card or status match so not sure if I would still get the same treatment now.

Only complaint was the crowded lounge. They used to give all golds access and it's my understanding now that golds don't have access unless they are on the exec floor and diamonds are now getting a hot buffet.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco

Thoughts?
We stayed at the DT Centraal and the location is very good. It does not have any Amsterdam charm whatsoever. The rooms and the hallways have the feel of a cruise ship. White and sterile and the rooms are VERY small.
The lounge up top is nice and has great views of the city. When we were there an "adult website" convention had taken over the hotel...all the bars were closed for private parties...that was annoying! The people watching was really good OTOH! :-)
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Sky Miles Gold
Agree on the cruise ship feel of the hallways but found the rest of the hotel exceptional. The rooms were were good size and the Sky Lounge upstairs has great views. We stayed in late October as Gold and had access to the lounge for breakfast. It was busy as it was a small room but not crowded and the food was very good for a breakfast lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.