Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old May 4, 2014, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Istanbul, Turkey {TUR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 3:04 am

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire, Miles & More Senator, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
The ferries are a super way to get around (as long as one avoids rush hour), including all the way to Büyükdere and the museum and restaurants, Rumeli Kavağı and Anadolu Kavağı (lovely walk up to the castle ruins, a look at the Black Sea and a meal in a café or seafood restaurant in Anadolu Kavağı before heading back to the city). Lovely scenery all the way, and IMO there is no need to pay the big bucks for the expensive tour boats.

It sounds like I will have to try one of the Çiya restaurants the next time, and this (Moda - Kadıköy) property would certainly make it easy to do so.
Dear JDiver, you are so right in that a trip up the Bosphorus by ferry is quite the best way to spend a day. In fact we spent 2 days - one to gaze across to the Black Sea from the ancient hilltop ruins + lunch by the water and another to explore the extensive fortifications at Rumeli and have a really good lunch at the Iskele restaurant there (there is an Iskele at every port!). Next time we shall try the yogurt at Kanlica and Korfez.

There are several branches of Ciya all on the same street - one does wonderful kebabs and another the most delicious anatolian specialities
Old Apr 11, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, if one took a taxi to the Ferry, took the ferry and then the tramway, it could be done in 45 minutes, each direction. So that is 1.5 hours, not "a couple of hours". Even if one walked it could be under 2 hours. The big point to be made however is of course that if one stayed in Ortakoy for example and wnated to get to Sultanahmet, a taxi could EASILY take more than half an hour as could Taksim in bad traffic (one could easily spend an hour getting from Sultanahmet to Taksim at rush hour), while the variable for getting to and from Moda would not actually change that much (but the ferries would be a lot more crowded).
Old Apr 11, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Krisflyer Solitaire, Miles & More Senator, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by hfly
Hmmm, if one took a taxi to the Ferry, took the ferry and then the tramway, it could be done in 45 minutes, each direction. So that is 1.5 hours, not "a couple of hours". Even if one walked it could be under 2 hours. The big point to be made however is of course that if one stayed in Ortakoy for example and wnated to get to Sultanahmet, a taxi could EASILY take more than half an hour as could Taksim in bad traffic (one could easily spend an hour getting from Sultanahmet to Taksim at rush hour), while the variable for getting to and from Moda would not actually change that much (but the ferries would be a lot more crowded).
Having been stuck in a 2 hours traffic jam along the Bosphorus back to the Hilton because of a Besiktas football game convinced me that the tram and ferries were the way to go.....although the Taksim bus terminus was really excellent for buses anywhere in the city.

The ferry ride to and from Kadikoy is so lovely, I would be happy to spend more time admiring the views.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Delta Platinum, American Platinum, Air Canada 25K
Headed to Istanbul on May 14. Plan to stay 3-4 nights in Istanbul, then rent a car and drive to Anaka, then Ephesus and then back to Istanbul for a night before flying back - in that manner using the Hilton properties.

If we stay at the DT Old Town, do you guys recommend that wife and I take the Metro to the Tram to get there from the airport. When it is time to rent the car, should we get it at the airport or downtown?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by cullen24
Headed to Istanbul on May 14. Plan to stay 3-4 nights in Istanbul, then rent a car and drive to Anaka, then Ephesus and then back to Istanbul for a night before flying back - in that manner using the Hilton properties.

If we stay at the DT Old Town, do you guys recommend that wife and I take the Metro to the Tram to get there from the airport. When it is time to rent the car, should we get it at the airport or downtown?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
The Metro to the Tram will take you some time if you are going to be staying at the Doubletree in Old Town (at least one hour). However, it sure is an inexpensive way of getting from Ataturk to the Doubletree. In terms of a rental car, I cannot offer any advice. If you take the shuttle bus (Havas), it will shave off about 15-20 minutes and you will be in Old Town sooner for about 5-7 more Turkish Liras.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:08 am

Curently in Hilton IST not cheap .
have a booking at DOubletree old city for 125 euro about 60 euro less. per night

is it worth the move?
anyone got upgraded at Doub OT?

at least we have balcony view club and can open door at night.
i really hate the taxi ride to OT though
Old May 27, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is this the best way to get to/from DT Istanbul-Moda?

Havas bus, TRY$5: Atatürk Airport, Yeşilyurt Crossroad, Galeria Shopping Mall, Bakırköy SeaBus Pier

Fast Ferry 4/5: Bakırköy-Kadikoy (didn't find cost) pdf

TIA.
Old May 27, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Is this the best way to get to/from DT Istanbul-Moda?

Havas bus, TRY$5: Atatürk Airport to Bakırköy SeaBus Pier + Fast Ferry 4/5 (didn't find cost) pdf

TIA.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is the exec lounge at the Hilton Park SA open every day? I thought I read that the hotel has no club lounge.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:33 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
There are now Doubletree Old Town and Doubletree Moda properties in Istanbul, 2 more HH properties.
My brother stayed at the DT Old Town and recommends it; in addition, it's quite inexpensive compared to many Istanbul hotels--coming up at EUR82/night in the Great Getaway including breakfast!
A good option for your last night or two, being on the airport side of the city compared to the Taksim hotels, and also walking distance to the Grand Bazaar.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I'm spending 3 nights in IST next month. My choices are many of course, but in terms of Hiltons as a Gold HHonors member, I'm kinda stuck:
Hilton Istanbul $161
Hilton ParkSA Istanbul $101
So.... is the Hilton worth a $60 premium over the ParkSA? I'm leaning towards 2 nights at the Hilton and then a (cheaper) 3rd night nearer to the airport, with an early flight on the next day.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I'm spending 3 nights in IST next month. My choices are many of course, but in terms of Hiltons as a Gold HHonors member, I'm kinda stuck:
Hilton Istanbul $161
Hilton ParkSA Istanbul $101
So.... is the Hilton worth a $60 premium over the ParkSA? I'm leaning towards 2 nights at the Hilton and then a (cheaper) 3rd night nearer to the airport, with an early flight on the next day.
Think you are aware of the new Doubletree properties from your post earlier, so not sure I understand what you mean you are stuck to the two Hiltons...

The two Hilton hotels are not far apart location wide so not really much difference to stay with one or the other for the last night in terms of easy for the early flight.

The Havas shuttle run by Turkish Air starts 4:00AM leaving from Taksim Square. It took me only 35 min to reach the IST airport around 8:30AM in my trip last time. But Istanbul traffic can be really bad so stay near airport to be safe is a good idea.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 2:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by wendySFO
Think you are aware of the new Doubletree properties from your post earlier, so not sure I understand what you mean you are stuck to the two Hiltons...

The two Hilton hotels are not far apart location wide so not really much difference to stay with one or the other for the last night in terms of easy for the early flight.

The Havas shuttle run by Turkish Air starts 4:00AM leaving from Taksim Square. It took me only 35 min to reach the IST airport around 8:30AM in my trip last time. But Istanbul traffic can be really bad so stay near airport to be safe is a good idea.
Also there is a Conrad.

Good hotels in the airport area are often more expensive than the rates mentioned.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:36 pm

Red face Regarding Doubletree Old City

We stay there from June 23 to June 27, we paid the rate inclusive of breakfast for our stay since I drop from Diamond to Silver.

The hotel is brand new, since it open just recently , the rooms are small, first we got a 2 bed one and after 2 days we were change to a King with a roll away, but still the rooms are small for 2 adults and a Child.

Breakfast in the morning was nice NOT great and some people are saying, at least not in my eyes since some items were ROTTEN, YES rotten cherries they were moldy and the canteloupe where they put the cherries was mushy and old.

The staff is great my only other problem was that after asking for a Cappuccino they want it to charge me extra even though i had a rate which included breakfast.

The Doubletree is very close to all the important sites. You can either walk or take the tram for few lyras.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 12:42 am

[QUOTE=wendySFO;16699236]Think you are aware of the new Doubletree properties from your post earlier, so not sure I understand what you mean you are stuck to the two Hiltons...

/QUOTE]
I should have mentioned the Doubletree is like US$200+ for those nights, for some reason!
Conrad is very expensive, too.
So it's either Hilton at US$160 or Hilton ParkSA for US$102.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.