Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2013, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry a. laska
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

The 59th floor Executive Lounge has opened again today (Sunday, 1st Sept. 2013) after an extensive refurbishment. Pictures of the new lounge can be seen here:

New Exec Lounge Pictures by infoworks

10 Things to do while at the Hong Kong Conrad by wideman
Print Wikipost

Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:34 am

Appreciate your picture as well as the new details, CHCflyer. You had many more chocolates, something on the edge of the table not completely visible, and of course the wine devine! Tempting indeed. So, I'm inclined to conclude that the "new management" has added to its suite offerings. (If only I knew who the "new management" is, so as to give credit where it's due). Thanks again, not without envy!
Beano likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by RCTP
I believe they are just giving you a standard, by the book answer. When you’re physically there to check in, they’ll most probably give an upgrade to exec room.

That’s what happened to me as a Gold.

Can you imagine them promising lounge access to a non-Diamond on a black and white correspondence? Which is against Hilton policy?
I don't believe it is against Hilton policy for a hotel to offer benefits beyond what is required. Just as an example, the Conrad Hong Kong offers a full breakfast to Gold and Diamond guests (as most Hilton properties outside the US do), even though Hilton policy only requires Continental breakfast. If the Conrad were to promise lounge access to a Gold, I can't imagine they'd be in violation of any Hilton policy. However, why would they want to do that when the longe might become overcrowded?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by PaulH1
Lots of nice extras like Chinese tea brought to room most nights made the stay very memorable
I'm glad you had such a nice stay! I wonder about the Chinese tea brought to the room daily, as we've always had this on the day of check-in only. Perhaps daily in-room tea is a new amenity?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:36 am

"New management," "new management," according to Posting 699, Anabolism! But if I have a choice, I'd rather have the wine on a daily basis than the tea. Either way, let's hope all those enhancements stay!
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Likemiles
"New management," "new management," according to Posting 699!
Just to be clear, the hotel's management has already confirmed there is no "new management." Post 642.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:26 am

Thanks for the refutation, Kacee. Either way I get drunk---every night, I hope! Seriously, though, if that wine is a straight (pun unintended) addition, how can they afford it? Should we be expecting massive increases in room rates soon? Is this Conrad making money? Or is the competition somehow forcing their hand? Pray tell a (daily) drunkard.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:01 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Likemiles
Thanks for the refutation, Kacee. Either way I get drunk---every night, I hope! Seriously, though, if that wine is a straight (pun unintended) addition, how can they afford it? Should we be expecting massive increases in room rates soon? Is this Conrad making money? Or is the competition somehow forcing their hand? Pray tell a (daily) drunkard.
Wine has no duty in HKG, it’s likely costing the hotel 5-10 USD
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by markis10

Then it begs the question, why don't they offer better wines at the EL during HH? They seem to be the same quality as at the Conrad in Singapore, where wines etc.. are taxed heavily.

Also, always thought that ordering wine with a meal in Hong Kong is often a very expensive proposition.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Or less, since they are buying wholesale. I'm pretty sure it's not Lafitte

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
why don't they offer better wines at the EL during HH?
Because they're giving it away for free? To people who earned Hilton Gold from a credit card?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or less, since they are buying wholesale. I'm pretty sure it's not Lafitte

Because they're giving it away for free? To people who earned Hilton Gold from a credit card?
Perhaps because it is a 5 star property and there actually are people paying a premium (sometimes hefty) for Executive Rooms and Suites with EL access. The number of CC Golds and Diamonds are not likely to represent a large portion of their clientele on any given day.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Then it begs the question, why don't they offer better wines at the EL during HH? They seem to be the same quality as at the Conrad in Singapore, where wines etc.. are taxed heavily.

Also, always thought that ordering wine with a meal in Hong Kong is often a very expensive proposition.
Who would have thought capitalism was alive and well in HKG, especially in restaurants . FWIW the 7-11 in the Lippo Centre had some excellent Chilean wines for sub $10 and their Australian wines were on par with what I would pay here.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:30 pm

Who would have thought capitalism was alive and well in HKG, especially in restaurants . FWIW the 7-11 in the Lippo Centre had some excellent Chilean wines for sub $10 and their Australian wines were on par with what I would pay here.
Capitalism usually means competition, thus lower prices for goods and services, including wine prices in restaurants, especially when there are no additional outside forces (taxes, duties) levied. That's why I find it somewhat peculiar.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Swimming pool closed 23 Jan to 4 Feb 2019

Hi,

When checking prices for a December stay, this message is displayed on the room price page

"The outdoor heated swimming pool will be closed from 23 January to 4 February 2019 for improvement works. Special arrangements for swimming guests will be provided. Please contact the hotel for further enquiries."

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

When checking prices for a December stay, this message is displayed on the room price page

"The outdoor heated swimming pool will be closed from 23 January to 4 February 2019 for improvement works. Special arrangements for swimming guests will be provided. Please contact the hotel for further enquiries."
Are you posting just FYI or do you have a question?

I've stayed at the Conrad Hong Kong before during pool maintenance work. Typically, guests can use the JW Marriott pool, a short walk through the mall.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by anabolism
Are you posting just FYI or do you have a question?

I've stayed at the Conrad Hong Kong before during pool maintenance work. Typically, guests can use the JW Marriott pool, a short walk through the mall.
Hi,

Sorry , it was just FYI.

However I will be staying there for three nights in a fortnights time and will post comments on my stay when I return.

Regards

TBS
TravelLawyer and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.