Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Added To — Then Out of — Hilton Honors: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Added To — Then Out of — Hilton Honors: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2001, 7:19 pm
JPH

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priorityclub Platinum, SK* Gold, AA Platinum
Originally posted by Roger:
What's the present position? Is Scandic part of Hilton?

If so, when we can we reserve rooms? I just checked hilton.com looking for a Swedish hotel, and none is on the system.

Thanks.
Hi, the offer to the shareholders was made in late April so it will take several months to close the transaction (provided that sufficient portion of shares accepts the offer, which shouldn't be a problem with 30% premium).

So no Hilton in Sweden or Finland yet.

JPH
Old May 20, 2001, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, JPH.
Old May 20, 2001, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Any opinion on Gothenburgs Scandic Hotels? I planned to stay at the Opalen as it is near the Liseberg Amusement Park.

Muerz
Old May 20, 2001, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is a great news. The three main hotel chains that I have access to are Starwood, Hilton and Marriott but all three have very poor coverage in Scandinavian countries. With Hilton's new purchase, it would make my trip there much easier.

Well, very simplistic and minimalistic style without any 'extras', some refer to 'stylish design'. However it is not luxurious. I think there is one furniture chain that pretty much represents the 'scandinavian' style: IKEA.
In other words, it's basically what the 'W Hotels' of Starwood Hotels are like. I tend to describe it as a stylish, modern and elegant design.

Old Jun 5, 2001, 9:14 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
EU okays Hilton buy of Scandic Hotels

http://www.expatica.com/main.asp?pad...,&item_id=9766

-------------- 8< --------------

EU okays Hilton buy of Scandic Hotels

1 June 2001

BRUSSELS, Belgium - The European Commission said Friday it has given antitrust clearance to the purchase of Swedish Scandic Hotels AB by British hotel operator Hilton Group PLC.

The deal worth 1.04 billion euros ($883 million) will enlarge Hilton's portfolio by 133 hotels in the Nordic region and 21 hotels in the rest of Europe.

"The Commission has considered that the proposed concentration does not lead to the creation or strengthening of a dominant position," the EU's head office said in a statement.

London-based Hilton, operates Hilton-brand hotels outside the United States and Ladbrokes betting shops in Europe.

[Copyright 2001, The Associated Press]

-------------- 8< --------------

FT references:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001662.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/001672.html

[This message has been edited by andersja (edited 06-05-2001).]
Old Jun 11, 2001, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, SK Diamond, Finnair Gold, BA Silver
Well, the deal has gone through. Hilton Group reported today that more than 90% of the Scandic stockholders have approved the offer.

Being a Norwegian in "excile" I will of course encourage all FTers to check out the new Hiltons in Scandinavia.
Old Jun 12, 2001, 2:48 am

Programs: KLM Platinum, BA Gold, ex-HHonors Diamond, Starwood SPG Gold (ex-Platinum), StarChoice
Another Norwegian in "exile" reporting here

Official news from the Hilton site:
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/promotio...ic/index.jhtml
Old Jun 12, 2001, 5:25 pm

Andersja thanks for the link!
Its a shame that they are not yet in the link!mr tinky is off to scandanavia and would have loved to stay at hiltons.The starwoods are very expensive over there!

------------------
Hyatt Diamond/Hilton Diamond/Starwood Platinum/UA1K-Ansett-WHITE/Qantas-WHITE
Old Jun 12, 2001, 5:59 pm
DOC 2 BE

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by tinkybelle:
Andersja thanks for the link!
Its a shame that they are not yet in the link!mr tinky is off to scandanavia and would have loved to stay at hiltons.The starwoods are very expensive over there!

</font>
The Radissons are quite good.

Old Jul 26, 2001, 8:35 am

First let me apologise in advance for the double post, but after a little more research I found this belongs in the Hilton forum instead of the Inter-Continental forum.

Multiple questions here. It looks like I will be spending at least a couple of months in Helsinki soon and the preferred project hotel is the Scandic Hotel Continental. Is this the same hotel as the Inter Continental Hotel Helsinki? The address and phone numbers are the same. Is it a case of same building, same management but two hotels, one upper scale - one lower?

I'm SPG platinum and BA Gold. Is there any chance to get comped to an advanced level within the Scandic club? Are they recognising HHonors already? Would the ~40 initial nights be enough to reach a reasonable status?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jenn

[This message has been edited by michswiss (edited 07-26-2001).]
Old Jul 27, 2001, 5:54 am

Hi
It is no longer an Intercontinental Hotel. IT's now a Scandic property with no relations to IC. I've stayed at the IC Helsinki before, but have no idea of the service after Scandic has taken over.

Scandic does not comp levels (as far as I know!) - Scandic Plus level my self.

Just stayed at a Scandic property in Stockholm. No connection between Scandic and Hilton at present.

The URL for Scandic member is:
http://www.scandic-hotels.com/br/10/10club.html
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:29 pm

Scandic Hotels and Hilton HHonors

I am about to spend a lot of time in Finland at the Scandic Continental Hotel in Helsinki. I read that Hilton has bought the properties and will slowly incorporate the Scandic program into HHonors. But, not before I'm well into two months (possibly up to half a year) of stays.

Here's the question. Is the better strategy to join the Scandic program and wait patiently for the HHonors conversion or to join HHonors now (I'm SPG Platium and could arrange for a few Hilton stays over the next months. Hoping for a comp here) and convert my Scandic points, miles, or whatever when they merge the programs?

I have to admit, I don't know much about either program so I'm shooting in the dark. I have read a lot about Scandic on FT but no real clues there either. I would stay at the Kamp (Yes, I know I've posted this in Hilton ) but the rest of the project team are already in the Scandic Continental. Anyway, thanks for all your help in advance.

A potential HHonors colleague,

Yours truly,

Jenn
Old Jul 29, 2001, 4:45 pm

Jenn
This is an excellent time to join Hhonors if you haven't already. Many people seem to be still getting the erewards instant gold when enrolling as well as the e-rewards challenge, which gives you 50,000 points with 4 stays, especially if as you say you could switch over some stays from Starwood in the next couple of months, sounds you would have an easy time of getting the 50,000 points. Then if you have signed up with Scandic, and have their points merged eventually, you should have a pretty good base of HHonors points to work with.
Cindi
Old Aug 4, 2001, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Yes, but when will Jenn and I be able to earn HHonors points and use HHonors benefits at Scandics ...

The former Helsinki InterContinental has been my preferred hotel in Helsinki (other than the Kalastajatorppa) for many years, and I was disappointed when it left I-C to become Scandic.

I am now booked into the Strand I-C Helsinki later this month. Fine hotel, good location, but I would like to get back to Mannerheimintie. It will be good to know when the HHonors system kicks in at the Scandic.
Old Aug 5, 2001, 4:52 am

I just got back from the Scandic Continental on Friday and will be back there tonight. I asked if they are recognising HHonors when I checked in and got a rather vague answer that they may start to recognise HH soon but that I should go ahead and join the Scandic Club. As for the hotel itself, I found it extremely plain although the gym is well equipted. I'm still not sure if it makes sense to join HH given the situation.

Thanks,

Jenn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.