Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Scandic Added To — Then Out of — Hilton Honors: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scandic Added To — Then Out of — Hilton Honors: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2002, 2:27 am

The first Hilton hotel will open in Sweden within the next month. Hilton will spend 100.000.000SEK to rebuild Scandic Slussen to became a top modern Hilton hotel.

The prices of this hotel will increase with 30%.

Rumours also say if everything goes ok Hilton will have another hotel in Stockholm, and ad a hotel in GOT and MMX as well before this year is over.

www.standbynews.com
and yes I know that page is only in swedish
Old Jan 27, 2002, 2:17 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
I have a trip to Helsinki this June. I would love to be able to redeem some HHonors points for this trip. Anyone know if this is possible or of a date when we can begin redeeming on Scandic?

Dave - London, UK
Old Jan 28, 2002, 1:55 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Joh, you probably stayed at one of the two (now) Radisson/SAS hotels in Iceland. You earn Scandic points at Radisson/SAS.

Might it have been a Scandic before?

Radisson/SAS used to be just SAS Hotels - Scandinavian Airlines System Hotels.

[This message has been edited by Austman (edited 01-28-2002).]
Old Mar 16, 2002, 4:09 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by michswiss:
I just got back from the Scandic Continental on Friday and will be back there tonight. As for the hotel itself, I found it extremely plain although the gym is well equipted. I'm still not sure if it makes sense to join HH given the situation.

Jenn
</font>
Ask the girls at reception for an upgrade to the Ambassidor rooms and lounge access (9th floor next to Business Center) .. this is an inner hotel with moderm refurbished rooms. Avoid floor 3. The hotel is due for refurbishment as you have noticed .. with it's position on the lake and some money spent it will become a very pleasant Hilton property, in time.

At the present time I would not join the Scandic Club as it is uncertain what they will offer on the merge. I'm Privledge level (100+ nights in the year) but it is now gone a year and nothing has happened to indicate equivalent status in HHonors. The free nights look only to be with Scandic branded hotels and this really means they are only useful in very limited way.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
At the recent AGM in the UK, Hilton reported that revenue had been greater than expected at Scandics and that they would delay rebranding of most Scandics.

I guess they were referring to Scandics in Sweden, so wouldn't like to forecast what may happen in Helsinki. Logic would suggest rebranding to Hilton, but if the Scandic brand is that valuable, who knows?

Oddly, when I was last at the Strand I-C (the 'other' I-C in Helsinki!) last autumn, I learned that that hotel was also owned by Scandic, i.e. Hilton. It's all very curious.

[edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 03-16-2002).]
Old Mar 16, 2002, 11:21 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:

Oddly, when I was last at the Strand I-C (the 'other' I-C in Helsinki!) last autumn, I learned that that hotel was also owned by Scandic, i.e. Hilton. It's all very curious.

[edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 03-16-2002).]
</font>
I understand that Scandic Hotels leased the Strand property to Intercontinental during the last downturn. Talking to the staff at the Continental the plans went wrong early in the 1990's which left the luxury Strand property surplus to requirement and the current Continental half extended/refurbished (and a large amount of conference facility which is rarely used now).

I believe the lease is soon to expire.

The food at the Strand is excellent and I enjoyed a few weeks when I first went to HEL .. until corporate policy mandated the more ordinary Scandic hotels.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 12:01 pm

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Scandic and Hilton point

Do I get normally points from Scandic stays and do they count also for status?
Old Apr 9, 2002, 1:50 pm

That's the question I put to them a while back, and this was their reply:

On behalf of Jan Peter Bergkvist I'm happy toinform you that you will ba able to earn points at Scandic hotels later this spring. The exact date is not set yet but you'll get information from HHonors when we start.

Best regards

Jan F. Jørgensen
Regional Director HHonors Nordic

So no, not yet I guess...
Old Apr 9, 2002, 2:09 pm

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
So do they even reconize my Diamond status or am I just a normal customer if I stay at Scandic? Any experiences?

Sounds like Starwood is gonna get (once again) my business... Why it have to take that long to combine those programs of Scandic and Hilton :-(
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:19 pm

From experience in Denmark, it very much depends who you deal with at check in. Many know next to nothing about Hilton and how it will affect them or what Hhonors customers expect. Others have obviously been given more information. And then there's always the option of discussing the matter beforehand with the hotel in question ;-)
Old Apr 9, 2002, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hmattila:
Do I get normally points from Scandic stays and do they count also for status?</font>
From the latest missive from Hilton HHonors

Starting 15th April , HHonors members will earn 1000 HHonors points per night at Scandic Hotels, plus 100 airline miles with selected partners. You will be able to redeem HHonors points for stays at Scandic Hotels.

HHonors nights at Scandic Hotels will count toward the night qualification for HHonors VIP tier status, however the stay itself will not count towards the VIP tier stay qualification.

Hope this helps

Dave
Old Apr 10, 2002, 4:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">So do they even reconize my Diamond status or am I just a normal customer if I stay at Scandic?</font>
Gold HH here. Asked at a Scandic Antwerp recently what was the best price for a Gold HH, arriving at 9pm, at a half full hotel. Guy quoted me the national debt of Bolivia for a room. Asked was that the very BEST. "Yes". Asked if I paid that would my Gold card at least get us breakfast and a upgrade. Answer "No".

I drove 200 yards further for half the price.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Thanks, Dave.

So that makes Scandics the equivalent of Hampton Inns, fom a miles point of view.

Hmmm. While that may be OK for the old EuroCrests, it's not suitable for most of the several Scandics in Finland, such as the Kalastajatorppa. And at the shareholders meeting, Hilton Group said they would not necessarily roll out the Hilton branding across the Scandic chain as Scandics were producing more revenue than anticipated.

This is disappointing news.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 7:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Roger:
Thanks, Dave.

Hmmm. While that may be OK for the old EuroCrests, it's not suitable for most of the several Scandics in Finland, such as the Kalastajatorppa.

</font>
Agree totally, 100 Miles per stay is pretty insulting when the Scandic club offered:

500 miles a night
Upto 17 Euro meal voucher a night
Free water/fruit in room
Upgrade
25% off dining

and of course breakfast is/was free.

I cannot see the locals being at all happy with the Hilton offering.
Old Apr 10, 2002, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks, Dave.

So that makes Scandics the equivalent of Hampton Inns, fom a miles point of view.

Hmmm. While that may be OK for the old EuroCrests, it's not suitable for most of the several Scandics in Finland, such as the Kalastajatorppa. And at the shareholders meeting, Hilton Group said they would not necessarily roll out the Hilton branding across the Scandic chain as Scandics were producing more revenue than anticipated.

</font>
The 100 miles seems low to me and I would suspect that it might vary depending on the airline scheme that the miles are crediting too. Getting 100 miles rather than the normal 1500 miles that I would get at a Hilton seems rather a major drop, but then again, I get zero miles at Hamptons.

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.