Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport {FRA} (France)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Paris Charles De Gaulle Airport {FRA} (France)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2005, 12:03 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
iirc, we had the opportunity to take brekkies downstairs - after one look, that's what we did. The Continental buffet is huge, the basement hot breakfast buffet is gargantuan.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 8:34 pm

Location: NWA Platinum, PC Platinum, HH Gold, Radisson elite, Hertz #1 Gold; National Emerald, Wausau, WI
Pics of the CDG Hilton, including club room

FWIW, I was there over Memorial Day and again found the CDG Hilton to be an excellent property. My review, including a picture of the club room, can be seen at:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journ...p?EntryID=2065

Just scroll down and click on any pic to enlarge on your screen. Have a great trip.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Would CDG Airport Hilton make a good base ?

I'm taking the wife and 2 sons to Paris for Spring Break. Tickets are all taken care of but I haven't make hotel arrangements yet.

I don't have enough points for 2 rooms so will be forced to pay for at least one. I was leaning towards the Hilton Paris. Availability and prices have swung in both directions since I started looking a couple months ago. As a Diamond I'm not worried about availability. As a cheap SOB, I'm worried about price. Currently, advance payment yields a E249 nightly rate.

I look at the airport property and a prepaid room is running E103! The savings pays for a lot of tickets on the Metro. And at that price, I'd save my points for another day. I don't think I've read anything bad here about the place - yes I know it's at the airport - but folks rate it highly as such. The HH website shows the CDG Hilton as 10-15 miles from town. Would I be eating up precious vacation riding the rails in and back every day?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:08 pm
Original Member

Well, my own view is that is just isn't worth it to be that far out. Others may differ. When we went with our two teenagers, a few years ago, we stayed at the Citadines aparthotel on the Seine, two blocks from Notre Dame, in St. Germain.

http://www.citadines.com/serviced_ap...n_des_pres.htm

The 1 bedroom apartments have a nice couch which converts into two twins for the kids, and a separate bedroom for the parents. For the times they got tired of French food (they're kids, after all) we made Kraft macaroni and similar stuff in the apartment kitchen very cheaply and then the parents ate a nice local bistros! Chocolate croissants for a couple euros each from the local bakery seemed perfect for breakfast.

This place is right in the heart of Paris. Walk to many of the major spots. Metro and RER rail stop very close for trips to Versailles, etc.

Since the cost is not much more than you are going to spend on the other room at the CDG Hilton, I would stay in the city. But that's just me.

We had a great time. Made possible in great part by Flyertalker Blairvanhorn, who 1) checked out a couple of Citadines locations for us and gave recommendations; 2) made our reservations for lunch at Jules Verne at the Eiffel Tower; and 3) made our reservations for a minivan taxi from the airport (which could hold the 4 of us and our luggage). Kudos again to Blair.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djlawman

Since the cost is not much more than you are going to spend on the other room at the CDG Hilton, I would stay in the city. But that's just me.
Maybe it's that particular date, but I get a E300 nightly rate. That ends up costing me over $100 more a night. Plus I miss out on the opportunity to add 1 stay, 6 nights and 30,000 HH points to my kitty.

Still, I understand what you're saying and would love a great hotel in the heart of Paris for $125 a night. If I don't find that, then I have to decide whether to spend the money or stay on the periphery. Did I mention I'm a cheap SOB?
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm
We stayed at the Citadines Bastille in 2003 with my wife and 2 teenage boys.

When we got tired, it was just a short metro ride back to the hotel.

I can't imagine having to take the Metro or RER all the way back to CDG.

What you propose can be done. But you're on vacation, enjoy a little!
Old Oct 28, 2005, 4:34 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
I have stayed at the Airport while awaiting my return flight to the US. It is a long trip to town and in my opinion would waste your time in excess travel to and from as well as additional travel expense.
The ADT has Family rooms which could be available and I have used them when traveling with my motherinlaw. They are two bedrooms ,each with their own batroom and connected by a hallway and private entrance. The money you will save getting breakfast in the lounge helps ease the high Euro cost of rooms in Paris.
The Paris Hilton is close to the Eifel Tower and a good location for your family to be at while on Vacation. I prefer the ADT as it is newer, has a great Spa (free to Diamonds) and a good location near the Arch De Triumphe.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 5:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Whatever you do, don't waste a trip to Paris staying at the CDG Hilton in Roissy! 90% of the Paris experience is immersing yourself in the city from dawn til bedtime, walking the streets, visiting cafe's, shops, salons de the', bars, restaurants, landmarks, etc. It would be the biggest buzz kill ever to have to schlepp out to CDG every night. Kind of like staying at a JFK airport hotel while visiting Manhattan for the first time, only worse.
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by UAL_Rulez
Kind of like staying at a JFK airport hotel while visiting Manhattan for the first time, only worse.
Amen!

BamaVol-
Have your tried pricing out the Hilton at La Defense?

I know that it's not in the centre of Paris. But it's only a 5 or 10 minute RER ride to the Arc de Trimophe-Etoile.
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Hilton Diamond
Just returned from an ADT Paris stay

BamaVol, My wife and I just returned (this last tuesday) from Paris and we stayed (award) at the ADT Paris. It was definately an enjoyable stay. The daily walk to & from the Metro wasn't too bad, even the evening that it rained.

The rooms are nice, If you like 'art-deco', you'll be pleased. We even got a slight upgrade despite being there while the President of Venezuela was staying at the Hotel.

I think the "Family" room is a great suggestion, it could save alot of costs for that 2nd room. Although the 2 boys as well as you and your wife would have somewhat less privacy.

We also spent a few Days in London and stayed out at Gatwick... Did the Commuting thing... It really adds alot to the end of the already long days (seemed like about 1 hour+). And slows down the start of the day too. The effect is almost cumulative. Because you get in later, you get up and out later, and then you still have the commute... It seemed like we couldn't hardly get into london before noon. (and everything closes early (5p-6p) in London) at least in Paris, things close much later. Speaking of closings.. Be aware, often alot of shops close on Mondays or Tuesdays, as they were open all weekend.

As a fellow Bama Cheap SOB... I would really try to find a way to stay much closer (in Zone 1-2) in Paris. Also, Carefully consider the ParisVisite 5 day pass or the "weekly" MOBILIS pass for the RER/Metro/SNCF.

A few tips, the Weekly Mobilis pass runs from Monday thru Sunday are a great value, but the 'week' doesn't always fit the vacationer's schedule.

Even the daily Mobilis (Zone1-2) pass (5e40) is a good deal if you are scooting all around the city. It sure is nice to hop on a Metro, or bus, or even the regular Train and not worry about exact change or what the fare might be.

If you are planning to visit further out, Versailles (zone 4), EuroDisney (zone 5) I would just buy single (R/T) passes for those places.

Old Oct 29, 2005, 11:58 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond USAirways CP Hertz Pres Cir
Originally Posted by BamaVol
....As a cheap SOB, I'm worried about price...I look at the airport property and a prepaid room is running E103!
That is a great price on a great hotel.

...The savings pays for a lot of tickets on the Metro...The HH website shows the CDG Hilton as 10-15 miles from town. Would I be eating up precious vacation riding the rails in and back every day?
10-15 minutes from town is NOT true, unless you count suburban Paris as "town." I'd say YES, you WOULD be eating up precious vacation riding the rails back and forth.

...Did I mention I'm a cheap SOB?
There is CHEAP and then there is MISERY. Travelling back and forth from CDG to central Paris every day is not what I'd consider a vacation. I'd keep searching for better hotel deals that are closer to where you want to spend time.

CDG is a great airport hotel, but not a good vacation base unless you just want to driving out to the French countryside.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 2:35 am

Been to Paris many times and stayed at the CDG every time. A few feet from the RER train stop. 45 minutes to town (Notre Dame). I don't see how 45 minutes eats too much of your time, but others certainly disagee. This airport hotel is quiet because it's soundproof and is equal to an upscale American hotel. If you're looking to immerse yourself in the French way, this hotel is not for you. However, if you want to live like an American in Paris, this is the hotel for you.
Old Oct 30, 2005, 8:05 am
Original Member

I don't think I'd do it again. I went by myself on a MR and stayed at the CDG hotel. The hotel was fine but no one told me that the metro at night on the weekends was pretty dicey. (ie questionable people on the train and no one with luggage to the airport). I literally watched each and everyone of them get off and hoped there would still be some normal people left on the train when I got to my stop or else I'd move cars. That and I didn't speak French so I didn't know that I got on train where I had to transfer to get back to CDG and ended up in the scary suburbs by myself alone on a platform. It was a pretty scary night. If I go again, I'd stay in town or stay on the rails during daylight...I also stayed at the airport to save some money but didn't anticipate getting stuck in the Eiffel Tower until dark...

Last edited by sggolf; Oct 30, 2005 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 30, 2005, 11:43 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
You can also read the reviews on tripadvisor.com to give you more opinions.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you all for your opinions. I think it would be a better vacation if we stayed in the city. I will see what I can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.