Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Instant Gold membership for Visa Signature cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Instant Gold membership for Visa Signature cardholders

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Has anyone with a Hilton Gold expiration before 2013 gotten the 5K?

I signed up and didn't get it even though I'm gold, and got the following response from Hilton reservations:

5,000 bonus points promotion applies to Gold VIP members with expiration date on or after year 2013.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I have Gold through Mar 31, 2012.
I am gold through March 2012, having not earned Gold yet this year. I did not get the 5k. I do appreciate the easy requal, though, since I'm mostly been doing SPG, Hyatt, and Marriott stays.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 0.94MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yoshapman
Has anyone with a Hilton Gold expiration before 2013 gotten the 5K?

I signed up and didn't get it even though I'm gold, and got the following response from Hilton reservations:

5,000 bonus points promotion applies to Gold VIP members with expiration date on or after year 2013.

Can anyone confirm that this is the case? I have Gold through Mar 31, 2012.
I'm currently gold through Mar 2012 and didn't get the 5000 points either. However, with this promotion, I have a tough discussion regarding whether to go for diamond (I project I'd be on the cusp) or move my business to another chain and get mid-level tier there.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, SW RR, UA Mileage+
I'm getting the error message on every browser I try. Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Grrrrr
Old Jun 12, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by wolfsatz
I'm getting the error message on every browser I try. Firefox, Safari and Chrome. Grrrrr
If you mean the initial page, it's working for me on IE.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 9:52 pm

I may be an idiot, but where do they say you must pay for the hotel stays with a VISA Signature card for them to qualify for the 3 stay hurdle?

EDIT: Nevermind, read the answer further in the thread.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wilp888
If you mean the initial page, it's working for me on IE.
I did it in Chrome.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by asterion
For those of youn out there who may not have your Citi Visa Signature handy, all you need to do is use any other Visa card but replace the first 6 digits with 4147 29, which is Citi identifier. As the number would probably be invalid (ie it does not pass the Luhn Test), try changing the last digit and keep on checking until it validates. Alternatively, use an online validator at your own risk (eg http://credit-card-information.elliottback.com/)
You can go one better, with some extra mathematical effort.
Try this Luhn check: http://www.ee.unb.ca/cgi-bin/tervo/luhn.pl
It clearly explains how to come up with a valid cc number.
Make sure to replace the first six digits with 4147 29, then make up the rest of the numbers and start counting!

After I came up with a valid cc number, I typed it into the hhonors visa signature page, it came up as valid, but then I got an error message. Tried again, and it worked second time round.

Hope this helps anyone desperate for Gold!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It's actually a middle finger to the elite HHhonor members who give hilton a lot of business having to fight with even more members for room upgrades.

With so many Gold members out there, it has to be realy difficult for golds to get upgrades.

Like on Delta, with Hilton Gold is starting to be the new silver.
This. I've had 19 stays this year, and now I've got yet more competition for upgrades (which I don't really mind if I miss out on) and lounge access (which is a huge deal). Clearly it means I need to run up another 9 stays, but it's quite disappointing.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, Delta, SPG Gold, Marriott Sil., Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, PC Platinum Ambassador
I'm gold through march 2012. I wrote customer service to ask about the 5K. I received the message, but no points in my account. They wrote back to say that the 5K would be put in my account after the three stays. Just fyi.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:17 am

Programs: DL Skypesos PE, PP Platinum, HH DIAMOND, AA, CH GE, SPG
Just registered for the promo and got the 5k bonus point message/gift as I am already a diamond. Used IE with a US Bank signature visa
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by bigirl
You can go one better, with some extra mathematical effort.
Try this Luhn check: http://www.ee.unb.ca/cgi-bin/tervo/luhn.pl
It clearly explains how to come up with a valid cc number.
Make sure to replace the first six digits with 4147 29, then make up the rest of the numbers and start counting!

After I came up with a valid cc number, I typed it into the hhonors visa signature page, it came up as valid, but then I got an error message. Tried again, and it worked second time round.

Hope this helps anyone desperate for Gold!
Personally, I think a philosophy that says it's o.k. to cheat the system just because you "can" doesn't really make the world a better place, but thanks anyway. Great information for the ethically-challenged though.

Last edited by brasov02; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:38 am
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have seen some previous posts with my same situation, so can it be assumed that current gold memebers through March 2012 that have not met requalification activity in 2011 to extend to 3/2013 are NOT eligible for the 5,000?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by MyTravels
When stays post, so does the last form of payment used, hence they know if you paid with V, AXP, MA, Cash, etc. The system probably can't differentiate between Visa Signature & standard Visa, but definitely between the different networks, cash, etc.
So, would you say that you can register with one Visa Signature, then pay for the 3 stays with a different Visa Signature? I have another Visa Signature that I'd prefer to use for the payments, but didn't think of it at the time of registration for the 3-month gold.

Any thoughts?

- tccc
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I have seen some previous posts with my same situation, so can it be assumed that current gold memebers through March 2012 that have not met requalification activity in 2011 to extend to 3/2013 are NOT eligible for the 5,000?
That appears to be the case, but you have nothing to lose by registering, so give it a try.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by tccc
So, would you say that you can register with one Visa Signature, then pay for the 3 stays with a different Visa Signature? I have another Visa Signature that I'd prefer to use for the payments, but didn't think of it at the time of registration for the 3-month gold.

Any thoughts?

- tccc
It could be as easy as any 3 qualifying stays that triggers it, or they could be filtering the payment method with the VS prefixes, or even possibly with the specific one that you registered with.

I'm hoping it would be any 3 stays, as being Gold till 2013 would be nice, though I'll barely use it that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.