Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
I was at the Doubletree Waikiki during Tropical Storm Darby. (Humorously "upgraded" to a convertible by my rental car company) All the hotels were business-as-usual, and that was a pretty decent sized storm with plenty of warning.

Had a blast, drove around in the rain with the top down.

I've got friends on Oahu that I texted last night, they say it's pretty mellow there now. I looked at some webcams and - unlike the news gloom and doom - things are still pretty sane there so far. We'll see when/if that changes, but I don't see hotels plywooding over their windows and such like I've seen in Orlando and Gulf coast FL hurricanes I've been in.

Honestly, I was kinda hoping for some huge hotel discounts with people cancelling vacations and such. Delta's flight I usually hop on down to HNL is E M P T Y this morning, with 17 open F-cabin seats for upgrade.

Yeah, I'm a little weird, but A.) I'll go to Hawaii for lunch sometimes, and B.) I grew up in Hurricane Alley in Florida, so a little rain ain't something to be skeered of.

Serious note though, I hope they all pull through okay and aren't impacted greatly - good luck HI!

There's a few Live Webcams on Youtube, check them out if you're a weather-voyeur!

- This one is down near the Costco in the Hawaii Kai area, which should be the first side of the island to get hit, I think.
- This one is more Waikiki-hotels area.

Last edited by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant; Aug 24, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Old Aug 24, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Anyone in Maui or at Grand Wailea reporting anything? Do they have a web camera?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:34 pm

Hawaii Point Awards

I haven't used Hilton Honors in awhile for Hawaii trips. In the past, they had ALON, ALON2 and GLON awards for either staying in Hawaii or around the world. With the SPG/Marriott issues, I am thinking about moving back to Hilton for future stays. Are there any ALON type awards or discounts on awards for Hawaii hotels? Anything for Hilton Diamond members?

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:51 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
For award stays, there is 5th night free. The ALON, ALON2 and GLON type awards have been gone for quite a while. There are no special awards for Diamond members.

You can have a look at the wiki in this thread -Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by jbeckett
For award stays, there is 5th night free. The ALON, ALON2 and GLON type awards have been gone for quite a while. There are no special awards for Diamond members.

You can have a look at the wiki in this thread -Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]
Not only that, but Hilton has been using dynamic awards pricing, so what was already a bad redemption at Hawaii (and Vegas) only got worse.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 8:59 pm

Thank you for your reply. I did search and saw that ALON, etc were expired, but I just didnt know if anything replaced it.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by radiowell
Not only that, but Hilton has been using dynamic awards pricing, so what was already a bad redemption at Hawaii (and Vegas) only got worse.
Actually, the dynamic pricing sometimes results in nice redemption opportunities at HHV. I've booked Ali'i for under 60k per night. Remember that resort fee ($40 night) and taxes are not charged on an award.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:47 am

I have a 10 night stay at Grand Wailea December 26-January 5. I booked at garden view room for 95,000 per night. Got two, 5th night free so used 760,000 points. Then called the hotel, explained LTD and they upgraded me to Ocean View. Rooms are running 900-1000 per night if I paid so I got $9,000-$10,000 worth of value on those points. Not sure I would call that "bad redemption"
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

That's not true. Dynamic pricing means that you can get a great deal but the maximum amount of points per night per standard room is capped.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I have a 10 night stay at Grand Wailea December 26-January 5. I booked at garden view room for 95,000 per night. Got two, 5th night free so used 760,000 points. Then called the hotel, explained LTD and they upgraded me to Ocean View. Rooms are running 900-1000 per night if I paid so I got $9,000-$10,000 worth of value on those points. Not sure I would call that "bad redemption"
You may have gotten a good redemption rate but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a good value.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by BrlDsguise
You may have gotten a good redemption rate but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a good value.
Gonna have to explain that one a bit further for me. I am going to one of the most prized Waldor Astoria in the portfolio, during the absolute peak time of the year and getting a $0.13 per point value.
Most value HHonors points at $0.05 to $0.06 per point so how is this not an amazing redemption and value
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: points traveller
Hi everyone

looking for any recent stays/ suggestions on Oahu for the wife, 18 month old and myself - short trip of 4 nights. I visited about 10 years ago, wife has never been. (will be end of March which i understand will be spring break - not sure if the college kids stay in hiltons?)
Old Mar 14, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
Hi everyone

looking for any recent stays/ suggestions on Oahu for the wife, 18 month old and myself - short trip of 4 nights. I visited about 10 years ago, wife has never been. (will be end of March which i understand will be spring break - not sure if the college kids stay in hiltons?)
Do college kids go to Hawaii for spring break? Seems like an awfully pricey destination for college spring breakers.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck

Do college kids go to Hawaii for spring break? Seems like an awfully pricey destination for college spring breakers.
Lol, no, they go to Cancun and stay at cheap all inclusives, if you see a college student at a Hilton in Hawaii either they have money or they churn.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 1:52 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Big Island of Hawaii Getting a New Hilton Property

Fyi, downtown Kona will be home to a new Hampton Inn if assorted County boards and commissions approve of the plans submitted this week.

Plans are to rennovate the now empty Uncle Billys Hotel and turn it into the new Hilton family property over the next several months. This is in a good location of downtown Kona, off of Alii Drive and across the street from the water. Although swimmable beaches are a bit of a hike away.

Excluding the HGV properties, this would be the third Hilton family property on island and the only one in downtown Kona.

Kona Hampton Inn artist rendering
SPN Lifer and kirkwoodj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.