Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwitripper64
For a volcano alternative there is Tanna Is in Vanuatu, Mt Etna or for a cheap option Darvaz in Uzbekistan
Lassen Volcanic National Park in California.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FlyinPete
I was not looking for a "low cost" vacation, but merely a reasonable cost stay for one transit night only. But the prices that Hilton wants to charge, are nothing short of exhorbitant, IMO.
They are market-competitive. Certainly no more "exhorbitant" than prices in cities such as Tokyo, Paris, or New York (all of which are typically much more expensive).

BTW, I was hard pressed to imagine even one element of a Hawaiian vacation that cannot be had elsewhere for much less ... the only thing that I could think of was watching the active volcano on the big island.
Then you don't know Hawaii very well. There's way more to Hawaii than fancy hotels in tourist areas. We usually stay in private home vacation rentals on the north shore and it's an experience that's in many ways unmatched anywhere else in the world.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
And Kacee administers the coup de grace...

Hawaii isn't about any one thing - it's the sum of many things.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:36 am

On vacation, a hotel should be nothing more than a place to sleep; a place to relax; a place to start and end your day. If your entire vacation is based on the hotel, you're doing it wrong!
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
On vacation, a hotel should be nothing more than a place to sleep; a place to relax; a place to start and end your day. If your entire vacation is based on the hotel, you're doing it wrong!
Then the resorts should not even exist.

There is a balance - spending all your time on activities outside is not the pace most people like.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee

Then you don't know Hawaii very well. There's way more to Hawaii than fancy hotels in tourist areas. We usually stay in private home vacation rentals on the north shore and it's an experience that's in many ways unmatched anywhere else in the world.
+1

And hawaii is not much more expensive than vacition destinations globally. Langkawi spg resorts for example are 300, 400 and 1200 nt for this christmas. Last year Khao Lak wasnt much cheaper.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Car rental is not required on Oahu - plenty of airport shuttle, taxi options. Cheap rental cars are available all over Waikiki for day trips.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Just spent five nights at the Hilton Rose Hall and never left the grounds. Once in a while doing nothing can be nice.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, lots of people stay at all inclusive resorts and never leave. Some go on vacation to unwind and decompress, not go all over the place. You shouldn't tell people how to have their vacations because they don't do them the same way as you.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Baze
Hmmm, lots of people stay at all inclusive resorts and never leave. Some go on vacation to unwind and decompress, not go all over the place. You shouldn't tell people how to have their vacations because they don't do them the same way as you.
I was waiting for that "all-inclusive" post...because even though we're referring to Hawaii here, someone was bound to bring up a resort option completely irrelevant to the topic.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by securesmaskfirst
it feels feels you are in the disney version of Hawaii with fake overpriced shops.
Last year when I was in Hawaii, I found a hard-to-find souvenir item in a shop there at HHV. The item was $29.95, but I had not found it elsewhere. Fortunately, I decided to wait and go to the Aloha Stadium Flea Market.

At the flea market, I found the vendor who actually makes this particular souvenir and the price was only $11. So, yes, the shops are overpriced.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Best redemption values for Hawaii hotels?

Would be great to have some advice here - I myself and my wife plan to have a vacation end July in Hawaii and we would like to burn Hilton points for our stay. What would be the best hotels in terms of its service/location/redemption value? We plan to use the 5th night free.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Where would you like to go as each island is very different.

The three Hilton Resorts are;

Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki in Honolulu,

Hilton Waikolola Village on the Big Island of Hawai'i

Grand Wailea Resort on Maui (this is likely to be more expensive in terms of points)

Regards

TBS

PS There are other non resort hotels in Honolulu, there is a new hotel in Hilo opening soon and a Hilton Garden Inn in Kauai also

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 5, 2016 at 12:56 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
One of the tough parts of traveling to Hawaii is finding airfare/miles and/or hotel/points that work well together. At the end of 2011 I was able to grab 3 flights from the East coast of the US to Hawaii at Christmas time, all using miles. Hotels at that time of year are incredibly expensive and I just had to keep telling myself "the flights were free". We had a great trip but you need to make sure you can get flights that work if you find a place to spend the points.

That being said, I think you really have to decide which island(s) you want to visit and then decide if it is worth burning your points there. I have been to the Big Island, Maui, Kauai and Oahu and they are all completely different. In my opinion pick the place you want to visit and see if the points work. No sense visiting someplace just because you're staying for free but not enjoying yourself.

Last edited by birdiedouble; Jun 5, 2016 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
The OP said that he wants to use the 5th night free award, using HH points. That only works for standard rooms.

It may be difficult to find a standard room available for an award for five nights straight in Hawaii, booking less than two months in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.