Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kiwi Flyer
Print Wikipost

DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Old Feb 12, 2004, 1:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Arrow DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Posts older than 2016 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Hawaii, USA {US-HI}

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum co-moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 31, 2018 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:19 pm

How to avoid pesky resort fees in Hawaii?

Other than booking on points (which are exaggerated anyway), is there any way to avoid paying those nasty resort fees in Hawaiian Hilton hotels?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Originally Posted by FlyinPete
Other than booking on points (which are exaggerated anyway), is there any way to avoid paying those nasty resort fees in Hawaiian Hilton hotels?
Book with points for the stay and there is no resort fee. (not points and money). This is a nice Hilton perk, Marriott still hits you with the fee on reward stays.

Pick a hotel without the fee (on Oahu only) DoubleTree Waikiki, Hilton Waikiki Beach. The new HGI on Kauai i'm told will have a fee but it has "yet to make it to the Hilton webpages" per the hotel.

Sadly Hawaii hotels are full of the rip off resort fees.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:58 pm

And on top you will still get hit with the parking fee because obviously thats not incl. in the resort fee....
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
Originally Posted by little_dc
Book with points for the stay and there is no resort fee. (not points and money). This is a nice Hilton perk, Marriott still hits you with the fee on reward stays.

Pick a hotel without the fee (on Oahu only) DoubleTree Waikiki, Hilton Waikiki Beach. The new HGI on Kauai i'm told will have a fee but it has "yet to make it to the Hilton webpages" per the hotel.

Also the Embassy Suites Waikiki has no resort fee. But it is normally a bit higher in price than the other two. Parking is $35 per night. The manager's reception and great breakfast ease the pain. Stayed there last week and loved it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depends on the tradeoffs you are willing to make. If this is a line in the sand, either don't stay at properties which impose them (which is most) or call and see if you can't negotiate it out.

Alternatively, accept that when just about everybody does it, they get away with it.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Offer to pay $25 more per night in exchange for them waiving the resort fee.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Maybe stay somewhere else.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by little_dc
... The new HGI on Kauai i'm told will have a fee but it has "yet to make it to the Hilton webpages" per the hotel.

Nope, that hotel (the former Aston, I believe, which used to be a dump) also features the fee on the booking pages.

Skipping Hawaii seems to be the best option .... hotels in Asia are about a quarter of the price and offer better service / product.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
Nope, that hotel (the former Aston, I believe, which used to be a dump) also features the fee on the booking pages.

Skipping Hawaii seems to be the best option .... hotels in Asia are about a quarter of the price and offer better service / product.
Yep.. They must have just added it. I booked a prepaid rate last week and was NOT charged the resort fee. They better not play any games with that, as it was not on the Hilton pages when I booked.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Low costs haven't been part of the lure of Hawaii in a long, long time. There are substitutes for some elements of a Hawaain vacation - but not for all of a good one.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Low costs haven't been part of the lure of Hawaii in a long, long time. There are substitutes for some elements of a Hawaain vacation - but not for all of a good one.
I was not looking for a "low cost" vacation, but merely a reasonable cost stay for one transit night only. But the prices that Hilton wants to charge, are nothing short of exhorbitant, IMO.

BTW, I was hard pressed to imagine even one element of a Hawaiian vacation that cannot be had elsewhere for much less ... the only thing that I could think of was watching the active volcano on the big island.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: Air NZ, Qantas
Smile

For a volcano alternative there is Tanna Is in Vanuatu, Mt Etna or for a cheap option Darvaz in Uzbekistan
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by spearsba
Also the Embassy Suites Waikiki has no resort fee. But it is normally a bit higher in price than the other two. Parking is $35 per night. The manager's reception and great breakfast ease the pain. Stayed there last week and loved it.

...ill be there next Tues. it's my go to property / Happy Place. Way nicer than the other non-beachfront properties. The HHV has its own pluses being truly beachfront, but otherwise ES blows it away in space, breakfast, service, non-kidzoo, etc.

And no resort fees.

TDM
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
I stay, when on Oahu, the Hilton Waikiki beach (it's on Kuhio ave.) does not have resort fees. I prefer to skip the Hawaiian Village resort. Too many children, resort fees, crowded, sprawling, and it feels feels you are in the disney version of Hawaii with fake overpriced shops. The other one on Kuhio is still a block from the beach without all the drama.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.