Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Issue Using Hertz Points" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2023 | 7:39 am

Originally Posted by holocker
Does anyone know if you purchase points that does extend the expiration date of the points in your account.
This was possible in the past ... only by fax form ... but i think they abolished it by popular customer demand.
Old Oct 5, 2023 | 6:04 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, National
Originally Posted by holocker
Does anyone know if you purchase points that does extend the expiration date of the points in your account.
The FAQ specifically states that you can only reset the expiration clock with a rental. "Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental." https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...e=GPR_FAQs.jsp
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024 | 10:22 pm
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by Marko123
If a Presidents Circle member cancels at any time before reservation, all points will be returned to the members account.[
Is this still the case given the recent devaluation and shorter time window of point availability?
Old Jan 8, 2024 | 1:24 pm
10 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by shuuy
Is this still the case given the recent devaluation and shorter time window of point availability?
Who knows! A lot in the world has changed since that post from October 2020.
Old Jan 8, 2024 | 2:08 pm
20 Years on Site

Originally Posted by shuuy
I've found that to be true.
Old Jan 8, 2024 | 2:51 pm
50 Countries Visited3M100 Nights20 Years on Site

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Ive also learned that you cant stack awards (ie 3x one week rentals to make one 3 week award)

annoying for an upcoming Italy trip!
Old Mar 8, 2024 | 10:02 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited5 Years on Site

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Does the app still work for booking using points? I can't find any option on the iOS app for it, nor can I get the website to show booking using points for a handful of pickup locations/times... so frustrating...
Old Apr 15, 2024 | 8:45 am
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: UA MM
Did I miss something? There seems to have been a tremendous devaluation of points? I July and September 2023 I was able to use 4750 points to cover one week in two separate rentals (BZN, which is a franchise location, and SEA, which is corporate). Booking for some summer travel just now, I'm seeing 9000 points / week at multiple locations. What?
Old Apr 15, 2024 | 9:00 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Did I miss something? There seems to have been a tremendous devaluation of points? I July and September 2023 I was able to use 4750 points to cover one week in two separate rentals (BZN, which is a franchise location, and SEA, which is corporate). Booking for some summer travel just now, I'm seeing 9000 points / week at multiple locations. What?
Check the any day rewards calendar, basically so-called peak season runs all year round.
Old Apr 16, 2024 | 7:46 am

Originally Posted by jizen
Check the any day rewards calendar, basically so-called peak season runs all year round.
Good point. The calendar is here:
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...t_calendar.jsp
There now appear to be about 8 weeks per year that are non-peak. So without any explicit devaluation, this actually does devalue points by 50% for my needs at least (typically rentals of a couple weeks at a time) I'm glad I got savvy and burned through some of them last year as they are not worth much to me now.
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.
Old Apr 19, 2024 | 3:19 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Has anyone EVER been able to use Hertz points?
I have about 5k points in my account and I am not a US resident (but maybe I should just change my address to the US to make things work…?!).

I have never EVER been able to use points on the Hertz website or app.
The points option typically isn’t even showing.
They don’t seem to have call centers outside the US.

I just had some time as my flight is delayed, so I figured I’d call them to try and redeem points for a trip to Italy. I spent 42 minutes on the phone with them and this is what happened:

- The first agent told me they can’t help with reservations outside the US (I had chosen the “redeem points” option in the menu) and transferred the call.

- The next agent immediately found availability on points for my dates and could tell me the price per day, but when I asked him to give me total for the whole period, he said there was a problem with my profile as I’m not a US resident, so he’d have to transfer me again.

- After I had given the third agent all my information once more, she just fell silent. When I asked after a minute or so if she was still there, she asked what size of car we’d need. I said it doesn’t matter, any car would be fine. “Would you mind if I put you on hold for 2-3 minutes?” “That’s fine, but I’m just wondering, your colleague saw the availability right away?” “Oh, that’s right. Let me just check something here.” And then she hung up the phone.

I’m beginning to get the impression that it’s all just a scam and no one has ever been able to redeem points for a rental…
Old Apr 19, 2024 | 3:25 pm

Quite the story, Chocolate. Yes, I've been able to redeem points. Account in US, rentals in the US. When I get to the last page on the web site, there's a pull down option to use points. As I mentioned above, I was able to get a week for 4750 points at two places last year. Not so this year. BUT... I did just make a 3 week rental out of SEA and even though most of September is blacked out of the lower rates, I was offered and took (may as well burn the points) a week off that rental. It does seem rather random to me.
Old Apr 19, 2024 | 4:52 pm
5 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Maybe it’s the non-US part that is difficult for Hertz?
I also recall not being shown any vehicles when I was logged into my profile, vs. all kinds of cars showing when I wasn’t. Their IT is a complete mess.
MojaveFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2024 | 10:18 am
15 Years on Site

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Im not sure this is a issue per se, but could be a user issue.

So trying to book a 10 day rental in New Zealand (CHC - ZQN one way). At the end there is a drop down for a week rental for 3500 points (I have sufficient points). If I click it nothing happens to the "Estimated Total" and charge at pickup stays the same.

Am I missing something here? Do they just calculate it at pick up? or is it broken?

EDIT: Never mind! When I remove my AMEX Plat code and book with no codes it finally works! WOW
shuuy and milesforhire like this.
Old Aug 24, 2024 | 11:07 pm

As usual I can't get any vehicles to show up using points, so I thought I'd give the app workaround a try.

Nope, keeps saying there's a new version and to upgrade. Tried that, it's already on the latest. Sometimes it doesn't and lets me through but then I can't actually login. Sometimes I can login, but regardless of that I always get the same message when trying to then actually search using the 'use points' option: Hertz login member data is currently unavailable. Have deleted data, cache and uninstalled/reinstalled. Any other tricks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.