Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2023, 9:01 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SBYGUY
never ever been asked for IDP at LHR. Frankly it’s a useless piece of paper
I've been asked for one in Italy and Japan so I wouldn't call it useless, stupid, yes, but not entirely useless. LOL.
Old May 16, 2023, 8:04 am

Question Upgrade options at LHR

I'm posting this question here as the "FlyerTalk internet forum police" told me not to clutter up the Ultimate Choice thread with my "question"

I have a prepaid rental out of London Heathrow for June, I rented a Full-Size, Special, Automatic, Electric (G1) Polestar 2 or similar.
I am PC but I'm not sure what to expect by way of upgrades that might be available to me at LHR.
Does LHR have a UC aisle?
Are EV's available in the UC aisle?
What would be a 1 class upgrade from G1?

Would I be able to upgrade to say a Tesla Model 3 or Y?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Last edited by Zeebrock; May 16, 2023 at 8:05 am Reason: typo
Old May 18, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
Any data points re PC choice at LHR? Looking for 3-4 day rental, do not want a tiny manual corsa.
Old May 19, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by navatwal
Any data points re PC choice at LHR? Looking for 3-4 day rental, do not want a tiny manual corsa.

There isn't any UC or PC choice, in fact I'm not sure that they have even moved away from counter service yet, but at least that way you can show disdain for the car they try and give you. You will almost certainly get a one or two class upgrade providing you don't rent a premium or an EV (very rare to get a manual to auto)
Old Jun 9, 2023, 3:29 am
KRS

I have booked a Polestar (since it was the cheapest) but would prefer petrol; Any thoughts on upgrades to a petrol car (I have Presidents Circle)
Old Jun 10, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by KRS
I have booked a Polestar (since it was the cheapest) but would prefer petrol; Any thoughts on upgrades to a petrol car (I have Presidents Circle)
You will probably end up with what you've booked ! Best expectation would be an auto L intermediate, given the fleet size (which is increasingly electric) you are unlikely to get any standard or luxury.
KRS and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Zeebrock
I'm posting this question here as the "FlyerTalk internet forum police" told me not to clutter up the Ultimate Choice thread with my "question"

I have a prepaid rental out of London Heathrow for June, I rented a Full-Size, Special, Automatic, Electric (G1) Polestar 2 or similar.
I am PC but I'm not sure what to expect by way of upgrades that might be available to me at LHR.
Does LHR have a UC aisle?
Are EV's available in the UC aisle?
What would be a 1 class upgrade from G1?

Would I be able to upgrade to say a Tesla Model 3 or Y?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
you will likely end up with a Polestar. The lot at LHR is FULL of them.

PSA the Tesla supercharger near Hertz is open to Non Teslas and you can charge it there before return or Heston Services
KRS and E14 26C like this.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KRS
​​​​​​I saw a Vauxhall Astra, but almost none of the bigger cars were petrol. That was why I reserved Volvo XC90. Safe bet.
Old Jun 10, 2023, 2:54 pm
KRS

Ended up with a Polestar, as expected.
Polestar is the cheapest car since we have so many of them...
Offered manual Lexus for GBP30/day extra.
E14 26C likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by KRS
Ended up with a Polestar, as expected.

Offered manual Lexus for GBP30/day extra.

Thanks for the update, if possible can you look at your agreement and see which model lexus you've gotten, which group it is in, what the mileage was - out of interest what was your daily for the PoleStar, just trying to get a baseline - thanks
Old Jun 12, 2023, 2:34 pm
KRS

I turned down the Lexus, the Polestar was GBP60.68/day (15% discount).

Some thoughts on the Polestar and electric rental in the UK:
  • Very happy with the Polestar as a vehicle, great to drive. Remaining battery estimation via Google maps quite accurate.
  • As a newbie, charging was a hassle though:
    • did not realize the charging cable was under the hood (in the front) - took a while to figure out (this info should be provided to renters I think, and if it is, it needs to be more clear)
    • some charging stations appear to require UK issued cards, luckily we were travelling with locals who had to pay for us
    • some charging station require downloading an app - which cannot be installed since we are in the "wrong" region, according to Google Play and Apple App store
    • some charging stations are slow, so you need to be picky or plan accordingly (onboard Google maps navigation helps with this)
  • I "prepaid" for a charge and could return the car as low as 20% (as opposed to 80%) - probably quite expensive, but glad I did given all the issues we had with charging. Our final day was cut short on activities since we had to spend time getting adequate charge to get back to LHR
E14 26C likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:50 pm

How does this rate out of ten for a good deal? 16 days (and the middle of July at LHR)

Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:53 pm

LHR PC - What to expect

Hi folks. I’ve reserved a (T1) Tesla Model 3 when I arrive at LHR this coming Saturday afternoon from the US.

I’m a relatively inexperienced PC member having not that long gained access through Amex, and have only rented from neighborhood locations here in the US since gaining the status. So I don’t have the “hop skip and jump your way past the front desk and straight into the car if your choice” benchmark to measure against.

Do PC folk get any kind of preferential service at LHR? As the title suggests, what can I expect?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 4, 2023 at 4:10 pm Reason: moved into existing thread for this location
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by PigsCanFly
Hi folks. I’ve reserved a (T1) Tesla Model 3 when I arrive at LHR this coming Saturday afternoon from the US.

I’m a relatively inexperienced PC member having not that long gained access through Amex, and have only rented from neighborhood locations here in the US since gaining the status. So I don’t have the “hop skip and jump your way past the front desk and straight into the car if your choice” benchmark to measure against.

Do PC folk get any kind of preferential service at LHR? As the title suggests, what can I expect?
You can expect a Tesla.
PC is recognised at LHR (I thought there was an LHR thread) but not for EVs

I’ve not rented from LHR recently (more dropping off) so am not sure if they still require everyone to queue
Old Jul 4, 2023, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by E14 26C
You can expect a Tesla.
PC is recognised at LHR (I thought there was an LHR thread) but not for EVs

I’ve not rented from LHR recently (more dropping off) so am not sure if they still require everyone to queue
Thanks. Btw did I post this in the wrong thread? I couldn’t find anything relating to LHR specifically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.