Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at LHR; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2022, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by rtom
Ah yes, any car that can do Android Auto would definitely be good enough.

Most people posting in this thread don't comment on the economy cars at LHR -- I wonder what models other than the Corsa are used lately? Our trip is coming up in about a month. Perhaps all of the late model economy cars have a touchscreen display.
What did you end up getting? I'm picking up a similar car in December, curious what awaits.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 4:26 am

Reserved: C Vauxhall Astra or equivalent
Received: B Vauxhall Corsa

I’ve never experienced the guaranteed Presidents Circle downgrade before!

I had to wait 30 minutes in the office behind the ‘customer from hell’ who seemed to have shown up with a reservation submitted by carrier pigeon and no working credit cards.

Eventually I was assigned a Toyota CHR hybrid which did the job nicely.

This week I paid a little extra for a Tesla Model 3 as they seem to have a load of them now, plus the Polestars. Much better experience with that, although the mileage capped at 150 miles plus a £1.50 per kWh fee seemed a little grabby.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by spanishflea
This week I paid a little extra for a Tesla Model 3 as they seem to have a load of them now
That's good to hear - I have an upcoming reservation for a compact automatic and I'd happily pay a little extra for an electric car.

Originally Posted by spanishflea
the mileage capped at 150 miles plus a £1.50 per kWh fee seemed a little grabby.
150 miles per day? And the policy I just read said £0.73 per kWh.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 6:05 am

What other cars do they have in the intermediate crossover range? I may be too tall for a Toyota chr
Old Jan 29, 2023, 9:48 am

I’ve got hundreds (thousands?) of Hertz PC rentals under my belt but precious few outside the Americas… I may have to rent at LHR next week.

Hertz website is offering me 2 days in a Tesla 3 for about 75 GBP all-in with 600 miles included.

I’m hesitant for two reasons… one, even as a PC I don’t trust Hertz to be honest with their customers, and two, that seems like a ridiculously good value in a country where a sandwich can cost 5 GBP.

Am I missing something?

Also, will I have issues using my Canadian DL without an IDP? What about deposit amounts? Some Googling seems to show me Hertz will authorize rental cost plus 200 GBP. Is that accurate? I have a CAD-denominated credit card and while I have ~10K CAD available credit, I will need headroom for hotels and work purchases.

Speaking of cost paranoia, do I need to be incredibly vigilant about damage like one seems to be in Europe? I have heard nightmares about damage invoices arriving in the mail weeks or months after rental returns.

Any insight appreciated…
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by YYZC2
Hertz website is offering me 2 days in a Tesla 3 for about 75 GBP all-in with 600 miles included.
Are you sure that isn't per day? Doesn't make sense for 2 days, and playing around with dates including next week, I don't see anything like that.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:20 pm

This is what it's giving me on the Canadian version of the Hertz website using my Auto Club CDP...
Old Jan 31, 2023, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
This is what it's giving me on the Canadian version of the Hertz website using my Auto Club CDP...
Wow, that's crazy cheap and I would grab it.

I booked the same for a 2 day rental tomorrow and prepaid £119, and it's now quoting £164 for the same 2 day period or, £195 for "pay later".
Auto Enthusiast and oftech like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:37 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I'm in the same boat, got a luxury SUV (J6, Volvo XC90) for £390 (three-day weekend rate) which is a bargain and that car apparently doesn't exist in LHR (checked various days from now to December).

There's an intermediate Vauxhall Mokka SUV for £500 though.. I think £390 was a mistake rate.. will Hertz honor it?

I looked at the pictures, there's Porsche Macan, Bentley SUV, etc... and I'm PC.. hmm, the possibility of an upgrade.. LOL
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I'm in the same boat, got a luxury SUV (J6, Volvo XC90) for £390 (three-day weekend rate) which is a bargain and that car apparently doesn't exist in LHR (checked various days from now to December).

There's an intermediate Vauxhall Mokka SUV for £500 though.. I think £390 was a mistake rate.. will Hertz honor it?

I looked at the pictures, there's Porsche Macan, Bentley SUV, etc... and I'm PC.. hmm, the possibility of an upgrade.. LOL

That car certainly exists in the Hertz Fleet as there is one currently at London City Airport
Old Apr 10, 2023, 11:11 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by E14 26C
That car certainly exists in the Hertz Fleet as there is one currently at London City Airport
I realise that now, it shows under the Hertz Dream Collection. When I booked it, it was under the regular section which was very limited, no full-size, no luxury, etc.

Now, it is no longer under the Hertz regular section. And Hertz cut the prices for electric cars, but not the real cars.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 1:19 am

Programs: Southwest
I have a reservation in a few months at LHR. I will be coming in off the London Heathrow Express train (only paying £5.50 or so for the ride from The City by booking more than 90 days in advance).

Where do I need to go at LHR to claim my reservation? Do I go to the Hertz counter in Terminal 3 in all instances? Or do I go out to the Hertz lot on the exterior perimeter of the airport?
Old Apr 26, 2023, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by sunpass
I have a reservation in a few months at LHR. I will be coming in off the London Heathrow Express train (only paying £5.50 or so for the ride from The City by booking more than 90 days in advance).

Where do I need to go at LHR to claim my reservation? Do I go to the Hertz counter in Terminal 3 in all instances? Or do I go out to the Hertz lot on the exterior perimeter of the airport?
Whilst there are in terminal counters they are unmanned and say please proceed to the shuttle, locations are as follows (I think the T2 is closer to the tube/Hex/Liz than T3);

PICK-UP: Our location is off airport. Please jump in our shuttle bus to go to the location. T2: Bus Stop 7 & 8 T3: Bus Stop 17 & 18 T4: Bus Stop 2 T5: Bus Stop 26 & 27. Once at the location. Due to a new European Payment Service Directive, you may need to present your payment card in-person at the location.
sunpass likes this.
Old May 6, 2023, 2:42 pm

Hertz at LHR seems to be having some better then normal pricing in a few weeks 6 day rental on a Polestar for 306$ cdn

Last edited by SBYGUY; May 6, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Old May 6, 2023, 2:54 pm

I’ve got hundreds (thousands?) of Hertz PC rentals under my belt but precious few outside the Americas… I may have to rent at LHR next week.

I’m hesitant for two reasons… one, even as a PC I don’t trust Hertz to be honest with their customers, and two, that seems like a ridiculously good value in a country where a sandwich can cost 5 GBP.

Am I missing something?

Also, will I have issues using my Canadian DL without an IDP? What about deposit amounts? Some Googling seems to show me Hertz will authorize rental cost plus 200 GBP. Is that accurate? I have a CAD-denominated credit card and while I have ~10K CAD available credit, I will need headroom for hotels and work purchases.

Speaking of cost paranoia, do I need to be incredibly vigilant about damage like one seems to be in Europe? I have heard nightmares about damage invoices arriving in the mail weeks or months after rental returns.

Any insight appreciated…
never ever been asked for IDP at LHR. Frankly it’s a useless piece of paper

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.