Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2019, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
January 2021 Update, courtesy of CalItalian:

Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty are now permanently combined in the Hertz facility until the move in a couple of years to the under construction consolidated car rental facility/garage a mile to the west on the corner of Arbor Vitae and La Cienega.

Returns do not allow agents to check in cars and provide in-person receipts; it has to be emailed. Contracts will not be closed until the vehicle has been sanitized. Be sure to take a photo of your dashboard (fuel gauge/mileage) and any other photos of the vehicle before you leave it in case there are any issues.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LAX; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Boca_ger
Seems that we were there almost at the same time
later they brought a Genesis to the PC lot, but besides the Shelby no V8 coupe or convertible available.
I was there around 12:20pm. I would’ve waited around longer, but this was a short rental. Ended up with an Altima SR.

Maxima was my first pick, but one had an army of ants and the other smelled strange and had a dirty interior. At least there weren’t any “Hertz Gold Standard” stickers on any of the cars here.

The Genesis rolls pretty good. Had one in LV a few months ago.
Auto Enthusiast and CO-PLAT like this.

Last edited by radiolarian; Sep 11, 2022 at 7:08 am
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by radiolarian
I was there around 12:20pm. I would’ve waited around longer, but this was a short rental.

The Genesis rolls pretty good. Had one in LV a few months ago.
Ah, I was there at 5:00 PM, so not a lot of change in the inventory during that time.
I ended up in a Mustang Conv..
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Do you have status? if not, just ask nicely at the gate person youll take the biggest suv they have and they'll probably offer you something for free . if you do have status just take the biggest suv from the lane
I have Gold Plus status (whatever that means). But I did ask the agent for the largest SUV available and he took me to a random SUV in the gold aisle (I think it was a Hyundai Tucson or Santa Fe?) - it was definitely not the biggest in the aisle. Clearly he had no clue or did not give 2 farks (betting more on the latter). Anyway, I walked around the gold aisle peeking in all the SUVs and ended up with a 7-seater 2020 Kia Sorrento EX V6 with over 27k miles. We just folded down the 3rd row for the extra luggage space. While it wasn't huge, it drove and handled well enough and it had enough room for us to spread out. Very happy with this SUV given the circumstances.

I did also see a GMC Acadia that had a 3rd row but the center seats were bucket seats and we weren't sure if all the luggage would fit if we had to actually use the 3rd row for seating (as the front + middle only sat 4).
SKYEG and Ordpc like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:35 pm

Reserved a Tesla Model Y and it was ready in the reserved area. Name was already on the Gold Board with reserve spot number. Key Card Fob already in the car and ready to drive off the lot. The attendant at the exit scans the car barcode, confirms photo ID with credit card and then time to enjoy the car!

Also walked around the Presidents Circle and not much of particular interest. Does Escape, Nissan Altima, Hondas, Mustang, few big cars only 4Runner and Acadia. In the Reserved section found Tesla Model 3 and Model Y, Mustang Shelby, a few Polestar 1 and Polestar 2.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by flyzeus
Reserved a Tesla Model Y and it was ready in the reserved area. Name was already on the Gold Board with reserve spot number. Key Card Fob already in the car and ready to drive off the lot. The attendant at the exit scans the car barcode, confirms photo ID with credit card and then time to enjoy the car!
Did it have the J1772 adapter in the vehicle? I have a couple of Tesla rentals at LAX coming up and might need one (and would rather not bring my own).
Old Sep 17, 2022, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Did it have the J1772 adapter in the vehicle? I have a couple of Tesla rentals at LAX coming up and might need one (and would rather not bring my own).
yes there was one located in the frunk
Old Sep 17, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by flyzeus
yes there was one located in the frunk
There are so many Tesla superchargers around Los Angeles, you’re always close to one if you know how to map them! Still curious what Hertz’s requirement is for returning the vehicle. Are they fully charged at time of rental and do they want you to bring them back fully charged?
Old Sep 18, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
There are so many Tesla superchargers around Los Angeles, you’re always close to one if you know how to map them! Still curious what Hertz’s requirement is for returning the vehicle. Are they fully charged at time of rental and do they want you to bring them back fully charged?
There are super chargers, but if I can charge overnight - perhaps for free - at a hotel I am staying at, I prefer to have that option.

This is what Hertz Twitter support told me about returning a Tesla:

Old Sep 18, 2022, 11:23 pm

Programs: AY Plat, Swiss SEN, Hertz Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum

This is what Hertz Twitter support told me about returning a Tesla:

That‘s the same, they told us.
You will get it, with at least 50% charge (most time more) and it must be returned at least with 10%

We are Gold-Members, but it is our first rental with Hertz USA (we‘ve only rented with Hertz in Europe before), must we go to the Counter or will our Name on the Gold-board and we can go directly to the car?
Old Sep 19, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dennyzrh
That‘s the same, they told us.
You will get it, with at least 50% charge (most time more) and it must be returned at least with 10%

We are Gold-Members, but it is our first rental with Hertz USA (we‘ve only rented with Hertz in Europe before), must we go to the Counter or will our Name on the Gold-board and we can go directly to the car?
that’s very generous of Hertz
dennyzrh likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
that’s very generous of Hertz
It might be a reflection of the fact that there aren't necessarily superchargers right next to each Hertz rental station, and that in busy times the wait is a bit more unpredictable than with gas stations (though last time I tried to fill up a gas vehicle at a gas station near LAX it was a complete cluster and one motivating factor for actually booking an EV next time). I suspect over time the requirement might be tightened and people will be expected to return the vehicle with 20, 30, or 40% charge.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 2:40 pm

It might be a reflection of the fact that there aren't necessarily superchargers right next to each Hertz rental station, and that in busy times the wait is a bit more unpredictable than with gas stations (though last time I tried to fill up a gas vehicle at a gas station near LAX it was a complete cluster and one motivating factor for actually booking an EV next time). I suspect over time the requirement might be tightened and people will be expected to return the vehicle with 20, 30, or 40% charge.
yes overtime I think requirements and procedures will definitely change. It’s a new situation for everyone, Let’s hope the rental companies and Hertz in general will be extremely proactive. As stated up thread, I believe they’re quite generous right now. It would be fantastic if they stay that way
Old Oct 30, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Was there yesterday. Busy Saturday because of a Rams game at SoFi on Sunday. President's Circle was packed but there wasn't anything special.

Hertz LAX will be replacing most of their vehicles over the next few months. Especially in the next couple of weeks before the holidays, I was told. They just got quite a few brand new Escalades this past week. I saw a number of them on the lot yesterday.

I was returning and rerenting. Hoping to keep my 2021 Chevy Traverse with 30k miles but it was "sold". One of my longtime agents was able to find me another (and a 2022) with just over 5000 miles but it wasn't a local vehicle. But it did have an upgraded package over what I was driving.

A date should be coming soon for the move to the brand new unified car rental garage, I was also told. Regardless, they're moving in 2023. The garage itself is nearly complete but the people mover system from the airport is still under construction.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 3:36 pm

By not a local vehicle, I assume you mean out of state plates? That's a potential clue to what's coming systemwide.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 6:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
By not a local vehicle, I assume you mean out of state plates? That's a potential clue to what's coming systemwide.
It's a Washington state vehicle. LAX gets a lot of one-way traffic in so I don't think I would read into my experience.
The new Escalades, I saw, had the new permanent California fleet plates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.