Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 12:47 pm

I picked up a car today about 1pm. Gold was empty so everyone was getting at least Five Star. In Five Star they had the usual plus a Pathfinder, Wrangler, QX30 and QX60. I took the QX60 with 3400 miles.

m907 likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Interesting that FIVE STAR had a better selection than PC based on your photos.
Old May 13, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Picked up this (Sunday) morning around 8:30 am and the PC section was about half full. The non-sedans were a Ford Expedition, two Nissan Pathfinders, a Buick Encore, Nissan Titan Crew Cab, and a Chrysler Pacifica Touring that looked tempting. Sedans were a Nissan Altima, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Impala V-6, Infiniti Q50, and a Chrysler 300.

I took a 2018 Q4 Nissan Rogue S with 4,400 miles on the odometer and working Sirius/XM.
m907 likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 13, 2018 at 10:33 am
Old May 17, 2018, 1:04 pm

Picked up this morning at 11am this was the selection in PC. Five Star was slim pickings but I managed to get a 17' Pathfinder with 19k miles. I would have preferred a full-size sedan for this week but there was nothing in Five Star or Gold. I also don't like how Nissan/Infinit doesn't have Android Auto available.

m907 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 1:14 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

I was just there at 2PM picking up. The PC section had 2 Jeep Wrangler 4DR models. There were different than the ones in your first pic (different colors). The one I just took had only 915 miles on it. I think Hertz must've purchased a lot of these because I keep hearing about them popping up more and more.

Also, everything in the Premium/Ultimate section was gone except for the white Challenger in your picture. I also saw a nice Infiniti. I think it was a Q50, but I was pressed for time and the Jeep was exactly what I was looking for, so I made a bee line for it and took off.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:47 pm

Got to LGA at 11AM today (Saturday). Expected crappy selection since most people picking up for the weekend probably grabbed the good stuff already, but was fairly shocked to see Jeep Wrangler Unlimiteds again. There were at least 3 in the PC section, 2 in the 5* section, and even one in the regular Gold section. Someone without status was going to have a very good day today.

Personally, my day wasn't too shabby either. I had my pick of the litter which turned out to be a brand new (and by brand new I mean 29 miles on the clock!) red Unlimited. Pics below of the car sitting in front of JFK T4 since I had to make a pickup at JFK right after I absconded with this beauty from LGA.

Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:49 pm

That looks like the 2018 model? I'm guessing Hertz probably scored a decent deal on a bunch of 2018 models to make way for the 2019s which look to be a big improvement. It looks damn good in red though!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:21 pm

There are two 2018 models, the JK and the JL.

The one in the photo is the JK model. The JL model has the backup camera and some have the soft-tops I seen, the easiest way to know if it's a JL is the flat light is now on the plastic piece where the tire is.

Originally Posted by Bjam99
That looks like the 2018 model? I'm guessing Hertz probably scored a decent deal on a bunch of 2018 models to make way for the 2019s which look to be a big improvement. It looks damn good in red though!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Funny how much things can be to each his own - a Wrangler would be only slightly ahead of a pickup in my preference set.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 10:11 am

Somewhat off topic about this, though very LGA specific. How does Hertz charge for taxes at LGA?
I want to use my points for a rental, and it appears to me that LGA specific taxes are done as a percentage of the daily rate (which is $0 for point redemptions). Anyone redeemed points at LGA recently and could comment on this? A thread from 2014 suggested that taxes were indeed done as a percentage (and were zero when car was returned), but I don't to pull the trigger just yet without asking for more recent experiences.
Why LGA instead of a Manhattan HLE? Convenient to get to for me, and has UC.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 1:34 pm

LGA is the cheapest place in the country to rent on points/certificates. Typically you only pay the fixed fees since the rental total is $0 and any charges that are a percentage of the total end up being $0 as well. That translates to an extremely reasonable $0.60 per day.

Example:

Yes, that's right--LGA is the second cheapest place to rent on points in the country, bested only by IAD at $0.19. Renting anywhere else will cost you at least $1/day up to $20+/day in SFO and BOS. More information can be found here.
klanfa and m907 like this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 2:39 pm

You forgot that CDW at LGA is $9/day, whereas IAD is substantially more. Hence LGA should be the cheapest place. You will probably need CDW since you're not paying for a normal day with your credit card.
klanfa likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:17 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I had a flat tire on the Kia Soul (C - Intermediate) that I rented from Jersey City on Friday, so I patched it this morning and limped over to LGA to swap it. The Gold Desk wouldn't let me take a car from the PC section Ultimate Choice, but conceded that I was due a complimentary upgrade so I was allowed to choose from the fullsize section.

As of about 7 :15 am this morning, PC had a Pacifica minivan, a Challenger, Jeep Wrangler, Kia Sorrento, Ford Fusion, Camry LE, and a few Malibu.

Fullsize was stocked with a Camry SE, a few Altima SL, and a few Sonata SE. I ended up taking another Soul from the midsize section as it's super-easy to park here in Manhattan and good for the grocery shopping and other errands I have planned for today.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:10 am

Booked a Premium (G) on a points reservation, got there around 2pm on Friday. I was assigned a Buick Regal - though it was one of the higher trims. Lot was pretty empty (my Regal was the last G); didn't look at PC since I'm not a PC myself. Five Star area had a couple of full sizes and the rest were intermediates. Just thought I'd add a DP for non-PCs too.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by klanfa
Booked a Premium (G) on a points reservation, got there around 2pm on Friday. I was assigned a Buick Regal - though it was one of the higher trims. Lot was pretty empty (my Regal was the last G); didn't look at PC since I'm not a PC myself. Five Star area had a couple of full sizes and the rest were intermediates. Just thought I'd add a DP for non-PCs too.
Afternoon on a summer Friday is a tough time at LGA, since so much of their inventory has already been picked up, or is headed into Manhattan for weekend renters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.