Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2023, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
No, as I never knew it was something to consider asking and, more importantly, the less time spent interacting with the Hertz staff at LGA, the better.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: National EE, Hertz PC
The reason National can do it is because they're sitting on off-airport property, this doesn't apply to Hertz.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:33 pm

On 9/9 8am PC had pick your colour altima, a buick enclave, Nissan rouge that someone was driving out when I walked in, and a camaro which I snagged. Upgrade section had a land rover defender and nothing else really

On 9/19 8am didn't notice much in PC but an Infiniti qx50, chevy bolt, some kia EV, and a couple of standard SUVs/sedans.. nothing special. Upgrade section had couple of volvo XC60s, couple of Cadillac XT4s, chevy tahoe, alfa romeo stelvio, audi a4, grand wagoneer, and maybe a suburban or something. Was going to take the qx50 before I spotted the audi so took that instead.
luggagebin likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 7:54 pm

Future rental

Would the selection be better if I pick up Sunday late afternoon to evening or Monday midday? Has there been anything better in the PC section lately aside from the basic camrys, altimas and rogues? Specifically looking for an SUV. Additionally, this might not be the right thread, but as anyone had experience renting with Sixt at LGA and what their selection is like or can point me to the right thread. Thanks in advanced.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Thursday around 2:30pm

I originally grabbed a Model 3 to see what the hype is about, but I learned at the exit gate that they park reserved Teslas in Five Star at LGA. Supposedly the Five Star customers are told to pick from Presidents Circle.

I ended up with a non smelling 2023 Jeep Compass Latitude with around 10k and active Sirius. A great majority of the vehicles were Florida plated and higher mileage. Got into a Grand Cherokee and Compass Trail Hawk with each over 50k. One of the CX-5s had over 60k.

Presidents Circle
Equinox LT
Escape SEL
Murano SL
Kia K5
Tucson
Compass limited
Malibu LT
Compass Latitude
Mazda CX-5
Bolt EUV
Compass Trailhawk
Escape SE
Escape SEL
Escape SE
Compass Latitude
Outlander Sport GT
Mazda CX-5
Tiguan SE
Grand Cherokee Limited
Equinox
Malibu
Trailblazer LT
Altima SV
Outback
RAV4 LE

5 Star
Model 3

Gold
Corolla LE
Forte
Altima SR
Sentra SC
Soul EX
Accent
Sentra SC
Altima SL
Malibu LT

Upgrades
X1 28i
Corolla LE
XT5
Grand wagoneer series II
XC60
Expedition limited
Q5
Model 3
XC90
XT4
CT4
Mustang Convertible
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:04 pm

The high mileage FL plates are probably cars bought used in 2021-2022. Did you notice used car dealer stickers on the trunk?

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Dec 7, 2023 at 10:31 am
Old Dec 5, 2023, 10:25 pm

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Thursday around 2:30pm

I originally grabbed a Model 3 to see what the hype is about, but I learned at the exit gate that they park reserved Teslas in Five Star at LGA. Supposedly the Five Star customers are told to pick from Presidents Circle.

I ended up with a non smelling 2023 Jeep Compass Latitude with around 10k and active Sirius. A great majority of the vehicles were Florida plated and higher mileage. Got into a Grand Cherokee and Compass Trail Hawk with each over 50k. One of the CX-5s had over 60k.

Presidents Circle
Equinox LT
Escape SEL
Murano SL
Kia K5
Tucson
Compass limited
Malibu LT
Compass Latitude
Mazda CX-5
Bolt EUV
Compass Trailhawk
Escape SE
Escape SEL
Escape SE
Compass Latitude
Outlander Sport GT
Mazda CX-5
Tiguan SE
Grand Cherokee Limited
Equinox
Malibu
Trailblazer LT
Altima SV
Outback
RAV4 LE

5 Star
Model 3

Gold
Corolla LE
Forte
Altima SR
Sentra SC
Soul EX
Accent
Sentra SC
Altima SL
Malibu LT

Upgrades
X1 28i
Corolla LE
XT5
Grand wagoneer series II
XC60
Expedition limited
Q5
Model 3
XC90
XT4
CT4
Mustang Convertible
garbage
Old Dec 7, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
The high mileage FL plates are probably cars bought used in 2021-2022. Did you notice used cat dealer stickers on the trunk?
I did notice some residue on a couple vehicles where a dealer emblem would have been, so you are most likely correct.

Originally Posted by ALARISstl
garbage
This was my impression as well. I even asked a porter that dropped a vehicle off in PC if there was anything nice coming out soon and he said he hadn't seen anything. Therefore I jumped in the lowest mileage and cleanest vehicle I has found.
Old Jan 17, 2024, 7:32 pm

Picked up a car last week Thursday around 7PM and PC was full. Good amount of SUVs, but your standard Chevy Equinonx, Nissan Rogue, and Ford Edge. Rogue and edge was basically your pick of color and trim with relatively 30k miles or less. There was a Hyundai suv also but over 50k miles. A few sedans as well, basically malibus and altimas. There were only 2 notable vehicles in PC, a polestar and a Volvo XC30 (I think that was the model. It was a small fully electric suv).

When returning the car a week later, the selection in PC was slim. Only one row of cars, mostly SUVs which was surprising considering NYC just had a small snow storm and freezing temps. Didn't walk around too much but noticed a base model CRV but was probably a year or two old, a GMC Acadia with 19k miles, and a polestar.
xienon likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
First time at Hertz for a while and boy is it bad compared to National.
PC had an Enclave, Durango, and Mustang but everything else is what you'd find at National's no status section (Camry, Malibu, Sentra, Sportage, RAV4).
5* had 2 EVs
Gold was all EVs too.
So I guess you need top tier status just to get a gasoline powered car! No wonder HTZ took a massive hit because of lack of demand for EVs and the repair costs.

Old Mar 23, 2024, 3:55 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Friday night. A couple of Edge, 4Runner, a mustang, couple of Kia and Hyundai crossovers.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Also there Friday. Attendent was parking on the other side of PC so I didn't take a picture. That side had the aforementioned 4Runner, another Edge, Nissan Frontier (IIRC) etc. Options looked very limited when I was returning my vehicle on Saturday night.

Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Arrived this past Friday around 0930; it was all SUV and trucks in PC. Pick you own color Chevy Equinox (at least 5-6) along with a GMC Terrain, Nissan Rogue, Buick Envision, a Ford Edge Titanium with 58,000 miles on it, and two Nissan Frontier Crew Cabs. A PC member who arrived just before me was taking out a Honda Passport AWD so I took the SUV with the least amount of miles which was a K4 2024 Kia Sorrento S AWD with NY Plates, 2,200 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius/XM. A Ford Explorer was put into PC just as I was leaving.
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:40 pm

Rented a large SUV (T) from LGA a few weeks ago. PC status. Imagine my shock when I walked to my reserved stall and saw a brand new 2024 Chevy Tahoe Z71! And when I say brand new, I mean literally brand new. 35 miles, NY plates, still had some of the new car plastic shrink wrap on some of the interior. I felt guilty promptly taking the car on a ski trip up to VT and putting 500+ miles on it, but boy did it serve me well in the 10 inches of snow we got the next night!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 18, 2024 at 4:13 am Reason: moved into dedicated thread for this location
Old Yesterday, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
Sunday Morning at Hertz LGA:
Really busy day with returns and availability. 1 person in line, but as PC, checked the board and returned to the lot. PC lot was chock full of cars, though some better than others. Nothing screaming "take me" though:
  • 3 Polestar 1 or Polestar 2
  • 1 Dodge Ram pickup
  • 1 Ford EcoSport, 20k miles
  • 1 Ford Mustang
  • 2 Kia EV6, brand new
  • 2 Kia Forte, brand new
  • 3 Nissan Altima, brand new
  • 2 Hyundai Ioniq 5 (EV)
  • 1 Tesla Model 3 (was being driven out as I got there)
Unfortunately for me, I was looking for an SUV. I could see an Volvo XC40, Ford Edge, and more Hyundai Ioniq's in queue waiting to be washed/turned, but I did not have the time to wait. Was really torn on EV or combustion as I only needed it for a 1 day drive. Picked up the nicest Polestar I could find and got out of there, then proceeded to wait 14 minutes behind the Model 3 whose driver somehow managed to lose his wallet between getting in the car and blocking the one and only exit gate(!).

TOP TIP: For those traveling from LGA Terminals to Hertz LGA, the instructions online to transfer to Terminal A (Marine Air Terminal) and wait for the Hertz shuttle are woefully outdated! The Hertz Shuttle runs to all terminals, including Terminals B and C. Don't bother waiting for the inter-terminal shuttle (and get stuck only to be lapped by the Hertz shuttle van like I did); instead, wait for the car rental shuttles.

TOP TOP TIP: Avis and Hertz are directly across from each other, so either company's shuttle will get you there -- especially if one arrives and the other is no where in sight. If asked, can always share how you confuse the two companies and blissfully walk to the other's lot
Auto Enthusiast and xienon like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.