Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

What's the highest mileage vehicle Hertz has tried to give you

Old Mar 8, 08, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Arrived at MSP yesterday and got in the car, a Ford 500, drove to the security shack and noticed it had 35256 miles and the shocks were bad, so I returned it. No Gold desk at MSP so I had to wait in line for 10 minutes.

The CSR told me that this is business as usual though she had never seen a car with mileage so high. She gave me a Pontiac with 9000 miles. The Pontiac had message "needs oil change now" on the screen. What's going on with Hertz and high mileage cars? What's the highest mileage vehicle you've seen?
Old Mar 8, 08, 4:48 pm

I think the highest I had was for an insurance replacement rental at about 16,000 miles, but the check engine light came on the third day I had it. So it had to go back and swapped for another car.
Old Mar 8, 08, 5:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, United 1K, Hertz PC
I have seen Avis cars at 35,000+ miles, but never Hertz...at least not yet.

The HLE near me winds up with a lot of high mileage cars. They sometimes have to lie to the computer to let them rent me a car that is showing up as a "turn back," and that is usually at around 28,000 miles. The 2007 Fusion I have now just turned 25,000 so it will likely be yanked soon.
Old Mar 8, 08, 6:11 pm

Location: Work/Melbourne Victoria - Home/McKinney, TX (Dallas)
Programs: AA 6.7MM ex-EXP (now PLT), QF P1, Marriott PLAT Prem, Hilton DIA, PC PLAT AMB, HZ PLAT
Originally Posted by Brattflyer View Post
Arrived at MSP yesterday and got in the car, a Ford 500, drove to the security shack and noticed it had 35256 miles and the shocks were bad, so I returned it. No Gold desk at MSP so I had to wait in line for 10 minutes.

The CSR told me that this is business as usual though she had never seen a car with mileage so high. She gave me a Pontiac with 9000 miles. The Pontiac had message "needs oil change now" on the screen. What's going on with Hertz and high mileage cars? What's the highest mileage vehicle you've seen?
What timing. Just returned to DFW, a 2006 Caddy DTS, that's right 06 - with 31,444 miles on it. Picked up the car on Fri - too tired to pay attention, thought the engine sounded a bit off, and the cocked steering wheel should have been another clue. Originally thought I had a car wtih 3144 miles, not the 31,444. ;-)

Returned it this AM - am driving a Shelby GT-H convertible for the weekend, at our Corp Rate of $33/day (full size). The on-duty manager couldn't believe the car was in his fleet (it had Georgia tags on it). I don't think that car will be rented again any time soon.

1st time in 4+ years as a PC I've ever had a car that "used". Like I said - too tired with all the flight delays to notice the problems until this AM. They took care of the problem nicely with the GT-H (and had some nice weather today to enjoy the convertible)!
Old Mar 9, 08, 9:01 am

I had an Elantra a few months ago with 27k on it. It had a burned out turn signal bulb, which kept the right side turn signals from blinking, and a bad shock in the back that made rubbing sounds every time I hit even the slightest bump. I didn't notice it until I was a nice distance away from the airport,and I was only going to be driving the car for a few hours, so I just kept it and hoped for the best.
Old Mar 9, 08, 12:25 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Around 28k

I had a Ford Escape from DFW that had about 28k on it - and defective ABS/bad brakes, so that when you did a firm (not panic) stop, the right rear would pitch up and lock, causing the rear of the car to slide to the left. NOT fun!

I'd returned a car I didn't like (nothing wrong with the first one, though) for that one, so I almost wondered if I got a retaliatory crap-wagon...

Traded the Escape-from-hell the next day and got something else - can't remember which, though, as I had about 6 months straight rentals from Hertz DFW last year. I saw a *lot* of different cars...

RFTraveler
Old Mar 10, 08, 10:02 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTG, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Just turned in a 07' Mercury Montego with 28,315. Lots of sqeeks, rattles and wind noise. Heated seat on the drivers side didn't work either.

In fairness to Hertz, this was a one-way so they were probably trying to dump the car on another location. I had just turned in an H3 with 300 miles on the OD.

Reminds me why I haven't purchased an american car in years.
Old Mar 10, 08, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hertz Five Star, National Emerald Club, Avis Preferred, Aeroplan
Hertz tried to give me a car with over 30,000 miles on it (I think it was a Matrix). I just asked for another car. Though I do prefer vehicles with a little mileage on them as the car has been broken in a bit and tends to work a lot better than brand new car with zero miles.
Old Mar 11, 08, 6:50 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
i personally returned a licensee Hertz car with 60,000 miles it was a 06 nissa maxima
Old Mar 12, 08, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
I got a car with 26K on it at MFR. But it was in good condition (except for a few scratches in the paint) so I had no complaints. It helped that I was only driving locally for a few days. If I were taking off on a long trip from the airport I might be more concerned.
Old Mar 12, 08, 11:02 am

I'm on my first Hertz rental right now. It had 2 miles when I picked it up
Old Mar 12, 08, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I had an H3 that had 28K on it and it was a horrible piece of junk. Near free upgrade but the radio would not turn off even after opening the door. It just stayed on and on and on and forgot to manually do it once and ran the battery dead as a door nail. Hertz said it would be 2 hours before they would come and jump me. This was in a dark parking lot at 1am! I called back and said no thanks and walked a half mile to walk and got a jumper box. The passenger seat was broken and this that and the other...
Old Mar 12, 08, 2:13 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
In PHL, my name wasn't on the board, stood on line, wanted to give me a C car for C rental (I'm PC) but they relented and gave me a D with Sirius.. turns out to be a Ford Mustang with 31k miles sitting in no man's land (took me ten minutes to find) and the Sirius didnt work. But I expect this kind of crap from PHL Hertz. They suck. I didn't bother going back since I'm sure they could find a crappier car if they tried.
Old Mar 12, 08, 10:18 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I have found over the past few years cars seem to be having more and more kms on it, in both the USA and here in Australia

In Australia we have HLE's (Which are all privately owned), these locations have the oldest cars and really don't care.

I have had cars in Australia from the HLE's with around 30,000-40,000 miles on it (of course displayed in KM's down here)

I made a complaint and spoke to the complaints department, the first person didn't care and pretty much said bad luck. Another person I spoke to said avoid renting from HLE's if you want new cars.

After three high mileage rentals from the HLE I now rent from the airport here, and get cars with only a few hundred miles on it and always get upgraded. Unfortunately this means paying a bit extra for the airport surcharge but I get better service and my car is waiting with my name on the board. The HLE doesn't have a board.
Old Mar 21, 08, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
In PHL, my name wasn't on the board, stood on line, wanted to give me a C car for C rental (I'm PC) but they relented and gave me a D with Sirius.. turns out to be a Ford Mustang with 31k miles sitting in no man's land (took me ten minutes to find) and the Sirius didnt work. But I expect this kind of crap from PHL Hertz. They suck. I didn't bother going back since I'm sure they could find a crappier car if they tried.
Not a milage comment... I got a Mustang in FLL with non-working Sirius (radio worked, would switch to Sirius, the "call Sirius" scrolling message was appearing). I called the post-rental 800 number at Hertz, they took the Sirius receiver EIN, and in about 10 minutes, Sirius was working. Yes, it was a PITA, still a very quick resolution.

Steve B.

Search this Thread