Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2020, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting at LGA; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Seems out of the one person with good luck LGA is a dump for what you get with UC. I am PC and arrived to a lone Sonata, Elantras, Corolla(with blue tape over the vehicle registration sticker) and one KIA SUV. No real empty spots. As I was getting into the Sonata a Camry was parked but was already packed up and about to move.

Upgrade section was 2 QX30s.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:51 am

Best time on weekends

Is it better to pick up late Friday night (10pm or after) or early Saturday morning at 7am/8am if you want a nice car (whether PC choice or paid upgrade) for the weekend? Picking up a car there this weekend.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 8:13 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by crazyformiles
Is it better to pick up late Friday night (10pm or after) or early Saturday morning at 7am/8am if you want a nice car (whether PC choice or paid upgrade) for the weekend? Picking up a car there this weekend.
Honestly, it's going to be slim pickings either way. Anyone who was renting on business for the week probably dropped off by early in the day on Friday (or Thursday), and anyone picking up for a weekend rental probably already picked up by late afternoon/early evening. Of course I'm talking in generalities here, but late night Fri or early morning Saturday is going to be pretty much the same, which is to say, sparse.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The last time I was at LGA on an early weekend morning, the PC area was sparse but 5* pretty well-stocked. I'm not sure what time the morning shift starts there but I've never been that impressed with the lot management and keeping PC stocked.

I'm going to be there on Saturday around 9 am and hope for the best.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:06 pm

I was there this evening. The PC section was mostly boring Japanese sedans. One Dodge Caravan. There was a nice Range Rover in the upgrade area. I took a VW Passat with 11K miles, which IMHO was the nicest things there (besides the Range Rover of course). I was in a rush so didn't scope out 5* but generally it's no better than PC.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

LGA this past Saturday morning around 0915 - PC area was about half-full; almost all Nissan and Hyundai sedans. I spotted one Ford Fusion and a Chevy Cruz LT RS. The stars were an Infiniti G60 coupe and a Chrysler 300c. A couple was getting into the G60 as I walked over to the 300c. It was a 2017 model with 1,300 miles on the odometer and Sirius/XM. As I was checking out the 300c, the lot attendant parked a 2017 H6 Nissan Pathfinder SV with working Sirius/XM. I gave it a quick thought, but stuck with the 300c. I had a weekend family trip to Connecticut, so the 300c fit the bill; I put about 500 miles on it.

The upgrade section had a pair of matching Mercedes Benz C63 AMGs and another G60 coupe.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 7, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
LGA this past Saturday morning - PC area was about half-full; almost all Nissan and Hyundai sedans. I spotted one Ford Fusion and a Chevy Cruz LT RS. The stars were an Infiniti G60 coupe and a Chrysler 300c. A couple was getting into the G60 as I walked over to the 300c. It was a 2017 model with 1,300 miles on the odometer and Sirius/XM. As I was checking out the 300c, the lot attendant parked a 2017 H6 Nissan Pathfinder SV with working Sirius/XM. I gave it a quick thought, but stuck with the 300c. I had a weekend family trip to Connecticut, so the 300c fit the bill; I put about 500 miles on it.

The upgrade section had a pair of matching Mercedes Benz C63 AMGs and another G60 coupe.
As a PC member 25 a day Upgrade area? I'd jump on that quick as that's a nice deal.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:31 am
Original Poster

I gave it some thought but my mother-in-law is 78 years old and has bad knees so I wasn't sure if she'd be comfortable enough in the back seat, plus we had Costco and other shopping on our itinerary. I ended up filling the trunk and one of the back seats of the 300c with all of our luggage and junk yesterday afternoon.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:14 pm

You lucked out. I was there at 730am earlier on Saturday morning and there were just Nissan Altimas, Hyundai Elantras and even a Nissan Sentra in the actual Presidential Circle section.

I asked about paid upgrades since the upgrade slot was empty and they said two q60s (may have been the two G60 coupes you saw) were available but unfortunately I have two kids.

The Mercedes AMG C63 were in the Dream Cars section (beside the upgrade section) and quoted for $150/day extra (not part of the $25 PC upgrade rate).

I ended up taking a Toyota Camry with 5822 miles from the 5 star section.

Last edited by crazyformiles; Aug 7, 2017 at 2:25 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Saturday morning at 1030.

Upgrades - Infiniti G60 and two other sedans (forgot the makes/models)

PC Area - Chrysler 300S, GMC Yukon XL, Nissan Altima SL, Kia Optima S, and an F4 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Base. It has Florida plates, 17,500 miles on the odometer, and working Sirius XM.

Five Star - Empty
Gold - I saw a few Q4-sized SUV and small sedans.

Sunday morning at 0500 was pretty much pick your your Korean or Japanese sedan (Optima, Corolla, Camry, etc) or SUV (Tuscon, Santa Fe Sport, Rogue).

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 25, 2017 at 5:44 am
Old Oct 22, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Sunday morning at 0930.

Six or so full-size sedans; Toyota Camry SE and Kia Optima. One Infiniti Q50 coupe. Two big sedans, a Toyota Avalon XLE Base and an Infiniti Q70 3.6. I took the latter; it was a 2017 model with MA plates and 14,000 miles on the odometer and coded as a G4.

Upgrades were either a Q50 coupe or QX30 crossover SUV
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Wednesday evening around 1900.

Upgrades: Infiniti QX30, Infiniti Q50, and Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe

President's Circle - About 6 Camry SE, a Kia Optima, a Sonata, and a Subaru Impreza. One Avalon XLE that reeked of smoke. One Infiniti Q50, and a Lincoln Navigator.

Five Star - Two Chrysler Pacificas, one Nissan Rouge, one Jeep Compass, an odd Altima and Camry here and there, and a Cruze.

Gold - I saw a mini-van and a bunch of Elantras. I also saw a lonely Impala Classic sitting in the full-size section.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 7:16 pm

Was there around 3AM Monday morning. Multiple Infinitis in the regular PC (non-upgrade section including QX30, Q50 and Q60 (which I took). There was also an Expedition and an Explorer Platinum Edition. It felt like Santa had visited and sprinkled fairy dust in the PC section. I've been renting there since the launch of UC and I've *never* seen it that good. Hopefully a sign they are trying to stock better vehicles in PC but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Arrived at LGA last night around 10 pm. The PC area was full of Kia Optima, Hyundai Sonata, and Nissan Altima sedans. I also saw a Kia Soul and a Ford Expedition. Since it was snowing, I wanted an AWD SUV and while the Expedition was tempting, I didn't want to deal with such a large car. I walked over to the 5* area; most of the cars in the lot hadn't been cleaned of snow so it was a little hard to see what everything was. I found a VW Tiguan but couldn't find the key to see if it was a 2WD or AWD. There was also a 2WD Nissan Rogue. I finally found a 2017 Dodge Journey SXT AWD with 19,000 miles (strangely coded as a Q4, even though it's a 7 passenger version); while it's not my favorite car, it got us home safely and loading/unloading all of our luggage was easy enough with a Costco and grocery shopping trip thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 11, 2017 at 5:26 am
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:46 am

dec 13 10 am
pc lot chevy cruze 2016 a bunch of 2017 camrys one hyundai tuscan one santa fe sport
5* had a bunch of mid size cars
gold had a mustang convertible and a van no
premium ugrades had nothing
ultimate series had a cadillac escalade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.