Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Renting in Europe soon. Anyone know for certain if the fee extra driver benefit applies or not?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:58 pm

It would appear not:

Hertz AAA Benefits
NOTE: Benefits valid only in US and Canada and do not apply on international, or Package and Book Together and Save rentals.
Among the listed benefits:
No Additional Driver Charge
No charge for additional drivers who are AAA members, hold a major credit card in their own name and meet standard rental qualifications. Additional drivers who are not members are charged a daily fee of up to $13.50. Why should you pay for friends that are traveling with you to help with the driving? You shouldn’t, and as a AAA Member, you won’t!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Adding my children as add'l drivers

My daughter is 21, and will be traveling with me in the near future (within the USA). My status is PC.

Are there any fees to add her as an additional driver?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:20 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Unless you make an attempt to address these issues by booking with discount codes that waive either the additional driver or underage fees (or both), adding your daughter would subject you to both the additional driver fees (~$10/day) and the underage driver fee ($~15/day).

The USAA (if you have/can get a membership) and AAA discount codes (if you have or can purchase a membership) will waive the additional and underage driver fees (subject to some limitations). More info on avoiding underage driver fees is available in this FT thread and in our blog article here (and this blog article announcing new benefits of the AAA discount code).

I am not 100% sure whether either of those codes (or others) would waive the underage fee for additional drivers (depends how the systems are programmed), but you certainly could make an argument that they should at the rental counter or to post-rental customer care if you use those codes and are charged the underage fee for your daughter.
m907 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:54 pm

I am not 100% sure whether either of those codes (or others) would waive the underage fee for additional drivers (depends how the systems are programmed), but you certainly could make an argument that they should at the rental counter or to post-rental customer care if you use those codes and are charged the underage fee for your daughter.
They certainly do!
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Unless you make an attempt to address these issues by booking with discount codes that waive either the additional driver or underage fees (or both), adding your daughter would subject you to both the additional driver fees (~$10/day) and the underage driver fee ($~15/day).

The USAA (if you have/can get a membership) and AAA discount codes (if you have or can purchase a membership) will waive the additional and underage driver fees (subject to some limitations). More info on avoiding underage driver fees is available in this FT thread and in our blog article here (and this blog article announcing new benefits of the AAA discount code).

Very good, thanks!

I do have a AAA membership, if I enter the associated code I still see the warning about fees for under-25 drivers. Is that just boilerplate language that appears all the time? Just in case, I will call Hertz to confirm.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:20 pm

We came, we rented, and we didn't pay extra!

It all worked out just fine. Despite the warning about the fee for under-25 drivers, nothing was added and the final rental cost was the same as the projected figure at time of making the reservation.
aghagolgoli likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:50 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Glad it worked out! Thanks for reporting back!
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:16 am

One more bit of information... we didn't stop by the counter, but just got in the car, and added her at the exit booth where they check your DL. Easy peasy.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
One more bit of information... we didn't stop by the counter, but just got in the car, and added her at the exit booth where they check your DL. Easy peasy.
I had no idea you could add additional drivers at the exit gate. That is very useful information to me.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Problem with spouse as free automatic authorized driver in Oregon and other states

I have rented dozens of vehicles in Oregon, with my spouse as a free driver per state law (ORS 646A.140). California, Iowa, Missouri, Nevada, New York, and Wisconsin have similar laws. I've never had a problem before and now Hertz is driving me crazy.

When picking up the car I mentioned that my wife would also be driving and did they need to see anything from her. Every time previously, with any and all rental agencies, the answer has been "Nope, don't need to see a license or sign anything, spouse is automatically a driver." This time I was told "No, she needs to show us her license and sign." Not a big deal, we did it. No mention of any fee, and why would there be?

I return the car a week later, and when I get the emailed receipt there's a $94.50 additional driver fee on there. I called and have had two "local" Hertz reps claim not to know what I'm talking about. I'm awaiting a return call from the manager.

So:
By law my spouse should be a free driver without any additional paperwork.
Hertz rep claimed this wasn't true and forced me to fill out paperwork making her an Additional Driver.
No mention was made of a fee.
Hertz claims that there is always a fee for Additional Drivers.
I just want my $94.50 back. What's the best course of action here short of walking into the office with a lawyer and slamming down a copy of the Oregon Revised Statutes?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 9:58 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I recently read something about immediate family being authorized automatically with my USAA cdp. Do you Have USAA by chance? Not that this is a rule I’ve ever been concerned with.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I just want my $94.50 back. What's the best course of action here short of walking into the office with a lawyer and slamming down a copy of the Oregon Revised Statutes?
A frustrating situation to be sure. Best bet is to wait for the call back from the manager. Front line rep was probably new and naive, and a manager with power to edit the invoice will fix it. If that doesn't work, you could either try to find the appropriate state regulator to intercede on your behalf, or file a chargeback with the CC company (which will compel Hertz to respond). State regulator will take forever, most likely. Chargeback may get a ban from Hertz.
jackal likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by prometa
A frustrating situation to be sure. Best bet is to wait for the call back from the manager. Front line rep was probably new and naive, and a manager with power to edit the invoice will fix it. If that doesn't work, you could either try to find the appropriate state regulator to intercede on your behalf, or file a chargeback with the CC company (which will compel Hertz to respond). State regulator will take forever, most likely. Chargeback may get a ban from Hertz.
All good suggestions. Another option is a complaint to the BBB. Be sure you cite the specific Oregon law in your complaint.

Also, Hertz Gold entitles your spouse to drive for free. If you're a Gold member (and anyone who rents with Hertz more than once in their life should be!), that's another potential argument for getting the fee removed.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I have rented dozens of vehicles in Oregon, with my spouse as a free driver per state law (ORS 646A.140).
What's the best course of action here short of walking into the office with a lawyer and slamming down a copy of the Oregon Revised Statutes?
Anything sounds like a better course of action than that.

Your cited statute does not entitle you to a free authorized operator; it simply authorizes your spouse to drive the vehicle without running afoul of state law. https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/646A.140

Hertz's website makes clear that only in California and Iowa is a spouse automatically, for the purposes of Hertz's terms, an "Authorized Operator" exempt from the $13.50/day fee. Other than for those individuals specifically listed as automatically becoming an "Authorized Operator," there is a $13.50/day fee for all "Additional Authorized Operators" (AAOs).

Authorized Operators
Acceptable Authorized Operators age 25 and older are automatically covered on the Rental Agreement.
Authorized Operators are:
- The employer, employee or fellow employee of renter on company business, (when booking includes company Corporate Discount Number).
- The renter's spouse for rentals that originate in California or or Iowa.
- Authorized Operators do not have to be present at time of rental.
- There are no fees for Authorized Operators.

Additional Authorized Operators
- Individuals not automatically covered on the Rental Agreement as Authorized Operators noted above may be signed on as an "Additional Authorized Operator" (AAO). AAO's must be present and may be signed on to the rental agreement at the time of rental or during the rental at any US corporate location.
- Renter and each AAO must be present to sign Rental Agreement, present an acceptable credit card or debit card (if renting city accepts debit cards) in their own name, or a current round-trip ticket (air, train or bus), show valid driver's license, and must be a minimum of 20 years of age. For those 20 through 24 the location's age differential will apply.

Additional Authorized Operators Fees
At corporate and participating licensee locations the additional fee is $13.50 per day with a maximum of $189.00 per rental and per Additional Authorized Operator.

Exceptions
AAA - Spouse/Domestic Partner* of AAA members are not required to have a separate AAA membership in order to receive the free AAO privileges. For other rentals, the AAO fee is also waived when both the renter and the AAO are AAA members.
*Domestic partner: An unmarried partner of the same or opposite sex (not a relative) who permanently resides as part of the same family unit, at the same address as the renter, as validated by the address on the driver's license.
USAA - No charge for qualified additional operators who are USAA members when signing on to a USAA rental when booking includes USAA discount number.
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RS&EOAG=EWKC31

The Hertz rules are clear and unambiguous. By adding your spouse as an Additional Authorized Operator, you incurred the $13.50 per day fee. Of course, you would be correct to argue that as a matter of state law, you were not required to add your spouse as an AAO in the first place to avoid risking her legal liability for unauthorized operation of your rental vehicle. But nothing you have pointed to prevents Hertz from requiring you to do so (especially when you asked to do so), let alone from charging you for it.

(Note: if you were a AAA member, you could have avoided the fee that way.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.