Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 1:26 pm

I’m PC and planning a vacation with a group. Can I rent two cars with reward points at the same time and add non-spouse drivers to each car?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:27 pm

Additional driver with PC status

When booking a rental I noticed the benefit of additional driver with no charge. After booking I can't find any info regarding this and when I Google I see additional driver waiver for spouse only. Can anyone confirm that additional driver is free including for non spouse for people with PC status?
Old Dec 12, 2022, 8:41 am

This was not the case for my last rental two weeks ago. I had also seen "Free Additional Driver" when making the booking. When I mentioned it at pickup, the agent asked if we were married. My partner said "No." Then we asked why they asked. Agent said the benefit was only for spouses. I said what I'd seen online when making the booking. The agent said that wasn't accurate. So we're just going to lie the next time.
bbbb and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 1:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by venomtrilogy
This was not the case for my last rental two weeks ago. I had also seen "Free Additional Driver" when making the booking. When I mentioned it at pickup, the agent asked if we were married. My partner said "No." Then we asked why they asked. Agent said the benefit was only for spouses. I said what I'd seen online when making the booking. The agent said that wasn't accurate. So we're just going to lie the next time.
One, I wouldn't lie. That could get you in quite a legal pickle if there is an accident. You may end up responsible for all damages with insurance paying nothing.

Hertz Gold Plus members spouse or domestic partner are free. I would have id's showing the same address. You don't even have to add them to the rental. It's automatic.

If you want to add a non-spouse to the rental, you will have to pay the standard additional driver fee.

There is no additional fee for any authorized driver if you booked with a USAA CDP or a AAA CDP and both drivers are AAA members. Some business accounts may also qualify for co-workers using that business CDP.

It's been this way for a while.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by imxelite
When booking a rental I noticed the benefit of additional driver with no charge. After booking I can't find any info regarding this and when I Google I see additional driver waiver for spouse only. Can anyone confirm that additional driver is free including for non spouse for people with PC status?
I also found this confusing, so I dug around on the website and found this: https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/...p_benefits.jsp. Note the caveat that "free additional driver" only refers to spouse or domestic partner in the US, even for PC. But it definitely doesn't say this while booking, which is misleading.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
A side question to this. I had wanted my wife (different last name, same address) to pick up our rental car this week as she is arriving earlier.

I called Hertz this morning and they said she would not be allowed to. Additional Driver - no issues, but she is not able to pick up the rental as it is in my name

Accurate comment from Hertz CS? Is this a HUCA? Or does she have to create her own account?

(We both have AMEX Platinum )
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by OneHourPhoto
A side question to this. I had wanted my wife (different last name, same address) to pick up our rental car this week as she is arriving earlier.

I called Hertz this morning and they said she would not be allowed to. Additional Driver - no issues, but she is not able to pick up the rental as it is in my name

Accurate comment from Hertz CS? Is this a HUCA? Or does she have to create her own account?

(We both have AMEX Platinum )
No rental company allows a different person to pick up the car.
AutoSlash and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:25 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
PC membership and 'additional driver'

I understand that PC membership gives free additional driver benefit. The question is - does one need to notify Hertz in advance - by calling, or add that additional driver at the time of car pickup?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 14, 2023 at 9:41 am Reason: merged with recent thread on this topic
Old May 14, 2023, 2:40 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

The free additional driver benefit is only for a spouse. You do not need to notify them at all. A spouse is automatically an authorized additional driver. They do not need to be named explicitly on the rental contact.

Anyone else (other than a co-worker) does and there is a charge for it. Note that the rules are slightly different in California.
Old May 14, 2023, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by invisible
I understand that PC membership gives free additional driver benefit. The question is - does one need to notify Hertz in advance - by calling, or add that additional driver at the time of car pickup?
I'm pretty sure you add them at pickup at which time the other driver provides their id. At least that is what I'm planning on.
Old Aug 21, 2023, 8:23 am

Additional driver in Europe for PC member

Reviving an old thread.

I'll be renting at VIE for a week. Will I have to pay to add my SO (domestic partner) as an additional driver? I've seen conflicted information here (charged) and here (free).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.