Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Extra Driver / Additional Driver / Spouse Fee" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by docbert
This mismatch of messaging has been like this for at least about 2 years now...
OK, thanks, I thought this used to be clear, last time I checked. Annoying as the consequences to the renter could be significant.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:45 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards, under "Enjoy Exclusive Savings", is found the following:

Other great value benefits include:
No extra charge to have your spouse or your civil partner share the driving with you, after your first rental.
• A very handy 25% discount on child seats.
• Regular updates about our Member Offers sent by email when you opt in.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Authorized Driver at Ultimate Choice

I called Hertz and understand there's no fee for adding an additional authorize driver (non-spousal) to my rental. I'll be renting from SFO airport, an Ultimate Choice location. How does it work? Do I have to go inside and give them the details of the authorized driver?

Additionally, I understand that officially the authorized driver must also be present. But have anyone been able to get around that, provided you have all their details?
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:48 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

That's correct, there is no additional fee to add a driver of any relationship to a rental in California. You can use Ultimate Choice to skip the counter and add any additional drivers at the exit booth.

Any/all additional drivers must be present to add them to the rental contract. Hertz will need to scan the additional driver's license (unless it's someone like a spouse who is authorized automatically on the contract) to add them, so you can't simply provide the information verbally. If the additional driver is not present at the time the rental is picked up though, they can be added later, either at the original renting location, or any other Hertz location you like.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Second driver - free for Pres Circle member?

i want to add a second driver to my contract. Rental in Canada.

Is that a for-free benefit of PC? Or does it come with a fee?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 4:50 am

It is not a specific benefit of PC but a benefit of being a general Gold member is that your spouse/domestic partner can drive for free (in the U.S. at least). Anyone other than this would pay a fee unless you book with a discount code that waives it like AAA or USAA. See here for more information.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:57 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
There have been quite a few threads recently asking about the additional driver fees and if they are waived with status or AAA. I merged these together.

Thanks
Jason8612 Hertz Mod
AutoSlash likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Does the other driver have to be there to present a physical DL?

I'm thinking about renting and driving from DTW to Chicago - and back. I'd meet my gf on the way, and it'd be nice if she could drive some of the way. She won't be at the starting location with me. She has a hertz account, and I can always get a scanned copy of her drivers license or a picture, but not sure if that matters or not. She's also under 25 if that's going to be an issue (which is why I posted here).
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
Does the other driver have to be there to present a physical DL?
Yes, without exception unless that driver is a spouse and you are a Gold Plus Rewards member or an employee of the company you work at and you're renting on a corporate CDP. In both of those cases, the additional driver does not even need to be added to the rental contract in order to be authorized. In all other cases, the additional driver must be present and present a valid driver's license.

Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm thinking about renting and driving from DTW to Chicago - and back. I'd meet my gf on the way, and it'd be nice if she could drive some of the way. She won't be at the starting location with me. She has a hertz account, and I can always get a scanned copy of her drivers license or a picture, but not sure if that matters or not. She's also 25 if that's going to be an issue (which is why I posted here).
You can stop at any Hertz location along the way (airport or HLE) to have your gf added to the rental contract. Keep in mind that there may be an additional fee unless you're renting under the AAA CDP or similar.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Yes, without exception unless that driver is a spouse and you are a Gold Plus Rewards member or an employee of the company you work at and you're renting on a corporate CDP. In both of those cases, the additional driver does not even need to be added to the rental contract in order to be authorized. In all other cases, the additional driver must be present and present a valid driver's license.

You can stop at any Hertz location along the way (airport or HLE) to have your gf added to the rental contract. Keep in mind that there may be an additional fee unless you're renting under the AAA CDP or similar.
\

Thanks for that piece of information AutoSlash
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Just stumbled on this thread, but I too have often been confused about Hertz and "additional drivers," and sometimes I think their employees are too (or they're lazy). My personal situation is my fiance and I live together for the past 3 years, but not married yet. And my experiences with Hertz has been:
  • Add her as an authorized user. Show her driver's license. Sign paper work.
  • Take a look at her driver's license, but don't scan/save/sign anything.
  • Get asked if she lives with me and we have the same address on driver's license (answer "yes"), and be told that I don't have to do any extra paperwork and it's "all good."
    • Of late, this has actually been the most common response. But I can't figure out if that's due to policy, or laziness!
To this day I'm not sure what the right way is!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA MM
Oh I know what you mean about the contradictory info

The latest I see is here (sorry for the messy URL)
https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/reser...RS&EOAG=YYZT11

It seems pretty clear that spouses (and domestic partners) are Authorized Operators for Hertz Gold Plus members (which is free to join for anyone). So there is no need to make them Additional Authorized Operators, which requires showing driver's license and maybe a fee (though not if both are AAA members).

Simple, right? Well this summer I asked the question in a franchise office in Montana and was told "Your spouse has to be added, it's Montana law". Which I doubt, but...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:06 am

Hertz Additional Drivers - fee negotiable?

Gold Plus used to give an additional driver (not related to the renter), if your registered card was AMEX. They have now dropped this, and therefore I'm facing $14 / a day for an additional driver. Any experience whether this is negotiable at the desk (either waived or reduced?)
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, Marriott Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, HH Diamond
doesnt hurt to ask at the desk, but ime ive had no luck.
kennethsross likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 9:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
A fair number of CDP codes include free additional drivers
kennethsross likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.