Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 2:49 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Mine are due to expire in a couple of months - but with under 1500 points it isn't worth me trying to keep them.

Don't believe there is an easy method.
Old May 17, 2023, 12:35 pm

My Hertz points are expiring soon and I'm looking at my options for extending and / or redeeming them. Most recent Hertz rental activity was November 20, 2021. I'm trying to get creative, but if I just need to rip the bandaid off and go in for a 1 hour rental for the sole purpose of keeping my points alive I'd be willing to do this also.

1. I believe that my Hertz points expiration date is May 20, 2023 (11/20/21 + 18 months) - can someone confirm this is correct?

2. If my points expiration date is May 20, 2023 will a rental that ends that day extend my points or would I need to complete the rental sooner (eg. a 1 hour rental May 19th)?

3. Can I book a Hertz award redemption with my points (today) for a future date after my points expiration date?

4. If (3) works will rental activity completed before this future rental is scheduled allow me to cancel and redeposit the points for (3)?
Old May 18, 2023, 9:39 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mster
1. I believe that my Hertz points expiration date is May 20, 2023 (11/20/21 + 18 months) - can someone confirm this is correct?
2. If my points expiration date is May 20, 2023 will a rental that ends that day extend my points or would I need to complete the rental sooner (eg. a 1 hour rental May 19th)?
3. Can I book a Hertz award redemption with my points (today) for a future date after my points expiration date?
4. If (3) works will rental activity completed before this future rental is scheduled allow me to cancel and redeposit the points for (3)?
I got several months of emails from Hertz with a specific expiration date. Check your old emails.

Rentals may take several days to post, so this may not work. Reasonably certain the rental must be completed and/or posted prior to expiry.
Old May 19, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My Hertz points are expiring soon and I'm looking at my options for extending and / or redeeming them. Most recent Hertz rental activity was November 20, 2021. I'm trying to get creative, but if I just need to rip the bandaid off and go in for a 1 hour rental for the sole purpose of keeping my points alive I'd be willing to do this also.

You definitely no longer can book an award in the future to extend your points. That loophole was closed a few years ago. The rental has to be complete before the expiration date.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by eethan
Has anyone successfully "extended" their points in this way by transferring to your spouse?
+1 - Does anyone know?
Old Jun 5, 2023, 6:20 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Anyone had a solution to getting points back? I had 37.000 pts and they expired (yeah i didnt notice they were). I'm also pres circle - just didnt hire last year due to illness. I already e-mailed them a week ago but no response. Have i just officially lost them or did anyone found solution? Happy to do some 'challenge' like some other companies where u can book a hotelroom or rent again and the pts will come back as coulance?
Old Jun 8, 2023, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by itisme
Anyone had a solution to getting points back? I had 37.000 pts and they expired (yeah i didnt notice they were). I'm also pres circle - just didnt hire last year due to illness. I already e-mailed them a week ago but no response. Have i just officially lost them or did anyone found solution? Happy to do some 'challenge' like some other companies where u can book a hotelroom or rent again and the pts will come back as coulance?
Wondering similar. Mine expired late last month (May).
Old Jun 13, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Wondering similar. Mine expired late last month (May).
just got a reply.. guess it’s ‘impossible’:

Thank you for contacting us. I appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns.

We would like to apologize for the misunderstanding. Kindly note that points do not expire as long as the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® member has either earned or redeemed points through rental activity in the prior 18 months. If points expire it is not possible to reinstate expired points currently, and you will get points related to your future reservations only.

We advise you to make a reservation as soon as possible from one of our corporate locations which support the Hertz gold points program to extend the expiry date for your points. Please don’t forget to add your Hertz membership in your coming reservation.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:02 am

Anyone know if points that were forfeited from a cancelled Reward reservation count towards rental activity for extending the point expiration date?

I'm right at the end of my expiration period and had made a points reservation a couple weeks ago, but then cancelled it, not realizing they have a new policy where you forfeit some points for cancellations. It is showing up in my points activity as 950 points redeemed for Reward Cancellation. I'm hoping that counts as point redemption activity to reset the 18 month clock, otherwise I have to go make another reservation and use more points for a rental I don't really want or need.

I did note that they don't have the language on their site any more that says only a completed rental counts towards point redemption activity. It just says points need to be earned or redeemed to reset the 18 month clock.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 7:12 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nds123
Anyone know if points that were forfeited from a cancelled Reward reservation count towards rental activity for extending the point expiration date? ... I did note that they don't have the language on their site any more that says only a completed rental counts towards point redemption activity. It just says points need to be earned or redeemed to reset the 18 month clock.
No.

You haven't actually redeemed points until you sign out the car.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 10:03 pm

I never managed to utilize my Hertz points on a reward reservation, so I eventually gave up, let the points expire and now am earning airline or hotel points instead. Less reward value per rental than the Hertz points, theoretically, but in practice I know that I'll be able to actually use those points rather than having a greater value of points gathering dust in my Hertz account...
Old Oct 7, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Has anyone had their points mysteriously disappear? I had over 60k points from lots of pre-pandemic travel. Virtually no travel now, but I do have a Hertz receipt for a points redemption rental in June 2022. I remember checking my points a few time since then, and seeing my balance. But today when I checked, I see 0 points!!! I'm in a panic now as to what's happened to my points! And unless my math is completely out of whack, it hasn't been 18 months yet. I just emailed Hertz, but I know they can have long term around times sometimes.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Originally Posted by enthrop
Has anyone had their points mysteriously disappear? I had over 60k points from lots of pre-pandemic travel. Virtually no travel now, but I do have a Hertz receipt for a points redemption rental in June 2022. I remember checking my points a few time since then, and seeing my balance. But today when I checked, I see 0 points!!! I'm in a panic now as to what's happened to my points! And unless my math is completely out of whack, it hasn't been 18 months yet. I just emailed Hertz, but I know they can have long term around times sometimes.
Yeah mine did, 4900 of them. Hertz rep in an email said it's now a 12month policy. I'll reply back and ask for an exception.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by enthrop
Yes same issue. Also awaiting a response.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:17 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Same issue. Response from Hertz Twitter:

Hello, cblaisd. Unfortunately, points did expire if you did not have a Gold Plus Rewards rental activity in the prior 12 months. We did extend this to 18 months during the pandemic but, points now expire within 12 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental. We apologize, but making a reservation or points transfer to a partner company does not count as rental activity. Typically, you should receive a notification about a month prior about your expiring points to the email address on file. I do apologize if you did not receive this notification. However, the terms and conditions are available on http://Hertz.com for your review of when points expire and how to keep them active. Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.