Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:31 am

points were back immediately
Old Oct 13, 2023, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by JeffISU
I did redeem for an award rental Oct 2022 (rented in Nov 2022), thought that would count but it did not.
This appears to also be a change in policy. As recently as July 2023, the monthly account summary e-mails used to say, "Points do not expire if you have Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Rental activity in the prior 18 months. Reservations must be closed by MMM DD YYYY to prevent points from expiring. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards point was either earned or redeemed on the rental."

However, my monthly account summary received in August omits this language. It does, however, still have the 18-month expiration. So does my most recent monthly account summary, received in mid-September.
JeffISU and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 14, 2023, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Wow, wild stuff. Good to know (well in advance for me) that it's a 12 mo expiry now. I will be sure to use them before I lose them (if I ever stop frequently renting from Hertz).
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2023, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Loyalty Lobby: Hertz's Lies About Points Expiry Getting Worse

As is pointed out, Hertz has gone from bankruptcy to settling a major lawsuit over false accusations of customer car theft, to alienating members of their loyalty program.

What's next?
An ad for Ford Bronco weekend specials?
Old Oct 16, 2023, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott PP, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ozdunkeroo
advice thus far

"Yes, the policy was recently updated and emails were sent out to regards to the update. The policy was originally 12 months but it was extended to 18 months due to COVID. Now it has gone back to the original 12 month policy."

Clearly no emails were sent out and it was never 12 months and it seems they don't really have any record of the points anyone had. what a program !

Points reinstated with the 12/31/23 courtesy, which is not an issue.

Shoutout to AwardWallet for the screenshot of points that were removed.

If you have no proof of previous balance then you will struggle to get points reinstated.
How did you reach out to them? I reached out to them 7 days ago via their contact form, and haven't heard anything yet.
What did you use for proof of balance? Sadly the last time I got a statement from them was April 2022! I don't know why they stopped sending me monthly statements to be honest...

Originally Posted by bk3day
How quickly were your points reinstated after contacting Hertz?

Thanks all for the heads up! My balance also disappeared despite the most recent points summary email (Sep) stating a potential expiration of December 15, 2003.

After a bit of a back & forth on Twitter, the rep came back with the "your Sep 30th balance will be reinstated promptly and a 1 time courtesy extension til Dec 31, 2023.

Would love some dps as to Hertz's concept of "promptly"?
I'm a twitter noob. Do i just sign up and do an @ them or something?

edit: Ok i signed up and sent them a private message. How long do they take to respond on average? This is giving me anxiety...

edit: Ok so they responded: "Thank you for reaching out. We can provide a one-time extension for the expired points for any member until December 31, 2023 whose points expired due to the new 12-month rule. The member’s point balance as of September 30th will reappear in the member’s account promptly. However, the points will be permanently removed if a rental has not commenced by December 31, 2023. Would you be able to provide a screenshot of your previous point total balance for further review?"

I don't have something as simple as recent statement to show them, but instead I have a statement from April 2022 (I don't know why I suddenly stopped receiving them), and then pulled all my rewards activity since then to show that I only redeemed points once in June 2022. I'm hoping that will be sufficient.... they said they'll get back to me after review. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 5, 2023 at 4:33 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 20, 2023, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by enthrop
I'm hoping that will be sufficient.... they said they'll get back to me after review. Fingers crossed.
Any update on your situation?

It's ridiculous because the points were in my account just a week or so ago - and now they've vanished.

If the 12 month policy were being enforced properly, they should have disappeared in the spring.

When was this new policy introduced?

Does anyone have an email address to contact them to sort this out?
Old Oct 23, 2023, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Any update on your situation?
Yes, they just responded today on Twitter via DM giving me my points!

So.. I reached out to Hertz ~2 weeks ago (on Oct 8) via contact us on their website. No response from that ever.

Per this forum's suggestion, I reached out on Twitter/X via DM on Mon Oct 16. Their reply is what I posted earlier, but in essence if I could give them proof of my prior point balance, they would reinstate it. I sent them a series of screenshots at the time.

They sent me another DM on Friday Oct 20 saying they have a lot of messages and need more time.

Then today they DM'd me (Mon Oct 23) confirming my points have been reinstated, and I have till the end of the year to do at least 1 rental.

So 1 week turnaround via Twitter (and still no word via contact us website)
Old Oct 26, 2023, 8:07 pm

Programs: US,PC
Thanks Everyone who contributed to thread and suggested twitter. I was waiting for more than week from website support and never heard a peep.
Reached on twitter DM 10 min ago and got prompt response via message.

I provided my hertz account info, informed I am president circle upfront.
They asked as suggested screenshot, sent account statement email screenshot and points were back in instant.
Was told same, would need to do one rental by Dec 31,2023
Old Oct 31, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Great, another issue with Hertz... I had about 3 or 4 thousand points and now they are all gone. I don't know exactly how many I had and I don't think I've ever gotten an emailed monthly statement. My last rental was September 2022, and my points were definitely still in my account a few weeks ago because I was looking at it for an upcoming vacation I have coming up next month. Unfortunately I waited to book and now I have zero points.

I've searched my mail for any monthly statements, but I don't see that I've received one ever. Can someone provide the specific email address that your monthly statement has come from and exactly what the subject line said so I can do a better search of my emails?

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2023, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have not received a 'monthly statement' from Hertz in years. I thought they just stopped sending them out.
louie-m likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, SAS Gold (butt in seat)
Originally Posted by rylan
I have not received a 'monthly statement' from Hertz in years. I thought they just stopped sending them out.
No,

i am getting them frequently, every month.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 9:02 pm

I use to receive monthly statements from Hertz, and I have no idea why they stopped sending them to me. They stopped sending them to be back when I was still renting too!

The last statement I had was ~April 2022. I submitted that, and using their own reward history, pieced together all my rentals since March 2022 to derive my final point balance. (Of course, it wasn't THAT many rentals considering I had 12 months of inactivity). I guess that's why I didn't get the points back instantly like some others, but after a week they did "approve" it and grant it back to me.

srodr When I use to get them, they came from "[email protected]" and the subject line was "[Name], view your monthly account summary". The statement also included my Hertz Member number, so you can try to search for that as well.

I'm happy my case was resolved fine this time. I actually had a different issue about 5 years ago where they took away 60k points from me. They claimed their computer system had been incorrectly double rewarding points for me over the last 10 years for many of my rentals, and so took away 60k points. I spent months arguing w/ them to no end...
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:25 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by enthrop
after a week they did "approve" it and grant it back to me.
Who is "they" / how did you contact them? I've never used Twitter and would rather not now if there's an alternative......
Old Nov 8, 2023, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
Who is "they" / how did you contact them? I've never used Twitter and would rather not now if there's an alternative......
"they" were the Hertz folks on Twitter. Everytime I got a message back from Hertz via Twitter, it was signed a different person. (I had an earlier post higher in the thread discussing how I didn't have success via normal channels and like you, didn't want to use Twitter, but bit the bullet and signed up and it worked for me as well)

So my guess is that Hertz has a social media team that monitors and replies to messages sent to them via Twitter.

It was my first time using Twitter too, but it ended up pretty painless. I signed up, searched for the Hertz account, then clicked the little mail envelop button to send them a direct/private message. All exchanges happened through the Twitter platform.

Hertz DID reach back out to me via email eventually. I had sent them a message via the "contact us" form on their website. They responded about a month later and simply said, "It looks like your matter has been resolved." Ha, thanks for nothing
louie-m likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:34 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Is the simplest way to extend points for another year with no planned rental to book a car nearby, pick it up, drive it around the block and drop it off 5 minutes later? I can't think of anything easier yet also want to make sure there isn't some new T&C that says you need to keep the car X hours to earn points!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.