Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 3, 2021, 7:41 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Sigh. Just completed a 2 minute $54 rental to re-start my expiration clock.
I'm betting Hertz will extend points expiration again. But definitely not a sure thing. I might wind up having to frantically run in and do a 2-minute rental in late December.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by TA
Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental. Making a reservation or points transfer to a partner company does not count as rental activity. "
>>A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental.

Thats not entirely true is it?
If you purchase points wouldn't that count as activity since your balance has gone up.

They don't cover this in their explanation, they mentioned transferring points out but do not mention points coming in.

A lot of other companies allow point purchase to extend expiration, wonder if Hertz does as well.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2021, 11:28 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by sard
If you purchase points wouldn't that count as activity since your balance has gone up.... A lot of other companies allow point purchase to extend expiration, wonder if Hertz does as well.
Answered above; no:

received a response to my Twitter question within a few hours!

"No, buying points will not extend the expiration date, purchased points are not considered earned points.

Do you still have that reply? Can you screen shot that to me? That is incorrect information and I need to pass that on to my management team for agent education. Thank you for sharing that.

As noted on the website in two areas:
Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards® point was either earned or redeemed on a rental.

Points do not expire if you have a Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® rental activity in the prior 18 months. Activity means a Gold Plus Rewards® point was either earned or redeemed on a rental. A Gold Plus Rewards point may only be earned or redeemed on a completed rental. Making a reservation or points transfer to a partner company does not count as rental activity."
Old Dec 12, 2021, 12:21 pm

Answered above; no:
Didn't see that post.
Thanks

Can you explain this:
>>Just completed a 2 minute $54 rental to re-start my expiration clock. Cheaper than a 1500 point redemption (no 750's available near me)

Do you mean the rental at $54 is cheaper because 1,500 points can get a "anytime" rental which would normally cost $100 ?
Old Dec 12, 2021, 1:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by sard
Didn't see that post.
Thanks

Can you explain this:
>>Just completed a 2 minute $54 rental to re-start my expiration clock. Cheaper than a 1500 point redemption (no 750's available near me)

Do you mean the rental at $54 is cheaper because 1,500 points can get a "anytime" rental which would normally cost $100 ?
It means that I have ~5500 points and didn't want to use up 25+% of them to restart the clock when I hope to have a use for ~5000 points in 2022.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Did the change the T&C this year to include the "completed rental" requirement? I seem to recall that you could reset the clock by redeeming points for a future rental that is after the expiration date. Or was this another company?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I have 5600 points which award wallet claims will expire in March. I see no way to check the expiration date on Hertz website.

(1) In light of the recent discussion regarding the revised T&Cs, has it been proven in fact that a points rez and cancellation no longer resets the clock? I see a lot discussion but nothing from anyone who tried this recently

(2) How can I make an award reservation when the website is unable to do so? I have tried multiple locations for one day rentals - nada.

(3) If award rentals are currently a no-go should I just make a cheap local rez (i.e. $30/day) to extend the expiration date? I would prefer not to lose these points as (optimistically) I hope they will have some value in the future.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:39 am

I can attest that a reservation, even with the points removed, will not reset the clock. If you look in your account, the expiration is 18 months after your last completed rental OR 12/31/21 if you had status that extended them. Or you can call or write. Both are frustrating options.
I found exactly one location with a 1 day reservations using 750 points
I would make a cheap reservation if your last rental was 16 months ago

I was also told that as a courtesy, if your Presidental and you make 1 reservation in the next 6 months, they will give you the points back.

Yes, I lost points on 12/31 because I failed to notice the change that the rental had to be completed by 12/31. I did a 1 day rental and will be submitting the info to get my points back.
Boraxo and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have 5600 points which award wallet claims will expire in March. I see no way to check the expiration date on Hertz website.

(1) In light of the recent discussion regarding the revised T&Cs, has it been proven in fact that a points rez and cancellation no longer resets the clock? I see a lot discussion but nothing from anyone who tried this recently

(2) How can I make an award reservation when the website is unable to do so? I have tried multiple locations for one day rentals - nada.

(3) If award rentals are currently a no-go should I just make a cheap local rez (i.e. $30/day) to extend the expiration date? I would prefer not to lose these points as (optimistically) I hope they will have some value in the future.
1. I wouldn't risk it, given Hertz's very clear response to me, above, about completed rentals
2. The Hertz app can often do reservations when the website can't.
3. Yes. Very much worth $30. I did a $50 local 5 minute reservation which reset my clock and allowed me to later use 3000 points for a car that would have been north of $600
Boraxo and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:54 pm

2. The Hertz app can often do reservations when the website can't.
Is there some bug on their website?
They can not find people to fix their web site (incidentally I could not buy acura part online since they did not have stuff to fix their site)?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I lost all my points and have no idea when the real expiration was.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:40 pm

Eighteen months since your most recent completed rental, either paid or with points.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by holocker
I lost all my points and have no idea when the real expiration was.
If you're Presidential, they will do a one time courtesy and reinstate your points AFTER you complete a rental within the next 180 days.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: no status
What happened to my points.

I used to get emails about weekend or week rentals that I could do with the points that I had accumulated and didn't give it much thought when they didn't come anymore. So due to COVID my trips in 2020 were all cancelled and I didn't travel again until late last year without rental since spring 2019. All the points were gone, did they expire or did points get erased due to bankruptcy?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:33 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.