Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:47 am

interesting

18 months expiry according to website and all the phone agents.

no warning of points expiring.
JeffISU and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ozdunkeroo
18 months expiry according to website
You have a url for that?
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Looks like they just changed it:

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/misc/index.jsp?targetPage=GPR_FAQs.jsp
cblaisd and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 12:25 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Hertz Twitter added my points back as the famous "one time exception." Expiring 12/31/23. I had to show a screenshot of my former points total (a nonsensical requirement + the rep couldn't see it in my history. Love Hertz IT!! ); fortunately Award Wallet showed the amount of points before they were zeroed.
JeffISU and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 10, 2023 at 12:40 pm
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:40 pm

Glad to hear that.

Was that contact via DM on Twitter?

Expiry has never been 12 months before.

Plenty of recent screenshots of 18 months, The 6 or more agents I have spoken to have all checked on the 18 months.

I have about $6000 worth of rentals next month. Started to look at what other companies are offering now.

Also noting that it appears that rentals activity gets recorded as the day that you start the rental and not the day that you complete the rental. Relevant when I had a 6 week rental last year, so a 12 month expiry actually becomes less than 12 months.
Old Oct 10, 2023, 6:59 pm

Glad to hear that.

Was that contact via DM on Twitter?.
Yes
Old Oct 10, 2023, 7:08 pm

advice thus far

"Yes, the policy was recently updated and emails were sent out to regards to the update. The policy was originally 12 months but it was extended to 18 months due to COVID. Now it has gone back to the original 12 month policy."

Clearly no emails were sent out and it was never 12 months and it seems they don't really have any record of the points anyone had. what a program !

Points reinstated with the 12/31/23 courtesy, which is not an issue.

Shoutout to AwardWallet for the screenshot of points that were removed.

If you have no proof of previous balance then you will struggle to get points reinstated.
Fredd and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Last edited by ozdunkeroo; Oct 10, 2023 at 7:23 pm Reason: updated information
Old Oct 11, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt
Angry WARNING: Hertz Points Expiry changed to 12 months inactivity

My last Hertz rental was just about a year ago, and I'd set a reminder to myself to check if Hertz would change their expiry terms in their usual sleazy way from 18 months down to 12 months, just like they changed from 24 to 18 a while ago.

Sure enough, as "luck" would have it, they've changed one of their FAQ pages to say points expire after 12 months inactivity.

I can't link to it yet, but you can see it on the GPR FAQ on the Hertz website.

This change happened in just the last few days. An FT poster in the lounge thread linked to this same page on Oct 5, quoting it as saying 18 months.

Does anyone know anything more about this? Did anyone get any emails about this? I didn't.

Are we to assume this applies retroactively and immediately, and a ton of people are going to have their points silently expire?

I'm just trying to figure out what to do to keep my points alive until I can finish burning them and switch to National.

Thanks.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds like another sleazy Hertz silent anti-customer change just like when they've silently increase points redemption levels multiple times over the past couple years. I never received any email/notice about Hertz changing their policy either.

I had a rental over the summer but have actively booked away from Hertz due to their horrid website and IT system that just plain didn't work many times when I wanted to check rates so I got sick of them. I'll have to watch and make sure I use some points to make sure they don't steal them away next summer.
gm68 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2023, 8:46 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt
To those who were able to get Hertz to reinstate points as an “exception”, did all of you have status? Or did anyone get them reinstated with no status at all?

What’s especially funny is that Hertz sent me an email just last month with my points balance and expiration date in April 2024.

Presumably, people whose last activity was in, say, September 2022, received an email saying their points would expire in March 2024, but then just had all their points removed this week with no warning.

Even with the usual “these terms may change at any time” sort of language Hertz probably has somewhere, this seems legally questionable.

In any case, people should be aware Hertz’s true expiration policy is “anytime we feel like it”, not 24 or 18 or 12 months.

I almost wish I had fewer points so I could be done with this shameful company.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 10:45 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
advice thus far

"Yes, the policy was recently updated and emails were sent out to regards to the update. The policy was originally 12 months but it was extended to 18 months due to COVID. Now it has gone back to the original 12 month policy."

Clearly no emails were sent out and it was never 12 months and it seems they don't really have any record of the points anyone had. what a program !

If you have no proof of previous balance then you will struggle to get points reinstated.
Congratulations on the courtesy extended to you. I just tried this morning via a DM to Hertz at X (Twitter), including a screenshot of my AwardWallet. They directed me to phone customer service, and I was read a script indicating they have not changed their T&Cs so it went back to 12 months in June, and - surprise - they have no record of the points in my account.

It could have been worse. I could have been one of the many that Hertz had arrested for "car theft." I guess they're still busy trying to sort that out.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL, AA, WN, Marriott, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec
Had ~5k points expire, last rental was July 2022, though I did redeem for an award rental Oct 2022 (rented in Nov 2022), thought that would count but it did not. Tried messaging through facebook and email but got the directive to call. Called the loyalty department (which was not in the phone tree, had to have someone transfer me after choosing the rewards option). They read the same script. I asked for an exception, she asked how many points I had. Came back and offered 950 points as all they could do. Accepted that as I had deleted all my emails from Hertz with prior points balance, but still disappointed in the whole situation.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:35 pm

Every monthly statement from Hertz from the last year says my points don't expire for till end of December of this year. Sure enough my points were expired out by Hertz a month ago or so. I've been logging into my account but never noticed my points balance, just went straight to booking. The 2 dots under points I just thought was an error in the app. Wasn't until I logged into desktop site that I saw the actual 0. Waiting to hear back from Hertz, I've got months of statements to back this up and sent one to them from August.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by clifford1010win
Every monthly statement from Hertz from the last year says my points don't expire for till end of December of this year. Sure enough my points were expired out by Hertz a month ago or so. I've been logging into my account but never noticed my points balance, just went straight to booking. The 2 dots under points I just thought was an error in the app. Wasn't until I logged into desktop site that I saw the actual 0. Waiting to hear back from Hertz, I've got months of statements to back this up and sent one to them from August.
Welcome to FT! I hope you report back on how this turns out.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 7:27 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
How quickly were your points reinstated after contacting Hertz?

Thanks all for the heads up! My balance also disappeared despite the most recent points summary email (Sep) stating a potential expiration of December 15, 2003.

After a bit of a back & forth on Twitter, the rep came back with the "your Sep 30th balance will be reinstated promptly and a 1 time courtesy extension til Dec 31, 2023.

Would love some dps as to Hertz's concept of "promptly"?

advice thus far

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.