Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Excerpt of email sent in early January 2021 from Hertz Gold Plus Rewards (HertzGoldOffers[at]emails.hertz.com)

Hi [Member],
As a President’s Circle ® member, rent assured knowing we’re committed to going the extra mile to provide you a safer, faster, easier experience.

Important Reminder & Announcement
To thank you for your loyalty, we are delaying loyalty point expirations. Your points are now good through Dec. 31 (or longer if you’ve completed a rental in the last six months) and won’t expire as long as you rent or redeem at least once every 18 months. We’ve also extended your elite status until Jan. 31, 2022.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Hertz Points Expiring/Expired" Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
If you're Presidential, they will do a one time courtesy and reinstate your points AFTER you complete a rental within the next 180 days.
I am Presdents circle is there a phone number to ring re expired points, I cant see when they expired. Only just back to traveling. Did hertz not extend points due to covid thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by xcalx
I am Presdents circle is there a phone number to ring re expired points, I cant see when they expired. Only just back to traveling. Did hertz not extend points due to covid thanks.
Sorry for the delay in response... They extended the points only to 12/31 and they will reinstate IF you're Presidents circle and also have a rental this year. I sent in the info about a month ago and I'm still waiting for the points. They are horrible to deal with. Customer service can't help and you can't talk to anyone at the award desk.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 1:55 am

Programs: Sixt DIA, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP
Sorry for the delay in response... They extended the points only to 12/31 and they will reinstate IF you're Presidents circle and also have a rental this year. I sent in the info about a month ago and I'm still waiting for the points. They are horrible to deal with. Customer service can't help and you can't talk to anyone at the award desk.
any news on this? could you send me the contact via PM. I only get answers in templates format and really bad German - any idea?
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by sisandor
any news on this? could you send me the contact via PM. I only get answers in templates format and really bad German - any idea?
I responded to you.

I lost 16k points and the put 9100 back into my account. I have asked what happened to the rest of them. I waiting for a reply.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:44 pm

if i call can they tell me how many points expired on 12/31/21?
i had quite a lot expire before, but don't remember how much i'd earned since then.
PC, last hertz rental in 2/20.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 9:25 am

A miracle happened. I received a response from 1awards regarding the points they didn't put back into my account. They actually put them back so now I'm back to 16k points.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:25 pm

Use them all up ASAP. You never know what tricks Hertz might pull- more blackout dates, devaluations, redeeming points tied to the retail price, etc.
Mary2e and jizen like this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 2:51 pm

Programs: Sixt DIA, Hertz PC, Europcar Elite VIP
A miracle happened. I received a response from 1awards regarding the points they didn't put back into my account. They actually put them back so now I'm back to 16k points.
anything written on this? Hertz still plays numb when i ask them to restate my points to my account (also with upcoming rentals).Whats the email you wrote to?
Old Mar 28, 2022, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by sisandor
anything written on this? Hertz still plays numb when i ask them to restate my points to my account (also with upcoming rentals).Whats the email you wrote to?
Not a thing. It was all verbal and I started contacting them in early January when I noticed all my points were gone despite having a reservation for a car. It was my fault for not double checking the T &C to see that it had to be a completed rental.

I wrote to [email protected]. You will not get points back until AFTER you complete the rental.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
TLDR: i made a points booking last August to stop my points expiring in September. Turned up, signed the form/contract, spoke to the agent who went round to the lot and sorted it all without me taking the car. Still had the remaining points when checked several times mid-autumn.
Come 1st Jan AwardWallet says i've lost all ~6000Hertz points. Contact [email protected] who tell me i was a no-show for the august booking so the points are points are gone.

The longer version:
By chance, last August i found all my hertz points were due to expire in early sepetember. Looking at all the options to keep them alive then during covid times) i decided to make a points booking at the end of august for a day just before the points were due to expire. I even asked about it No Show fee?
Come the day, at no little inconvenience and disruption i went to LGW to "take" the car. Spoke to the CSR and explained i didn't actually need the car, just needed to show it as having been taken and returned, to be classified as a fullfilled booking. I remember distinctly chatting with him about the games having to be played due to Hertz points rules, etc. I remember he even explained it was easier for them not to take it as they were a little short of cars that day. Signed what i had to, and the CSR said he'd personally go round to the car park to "return" it with his colleagues there. Job done, i thought. No need to drive a mile round the block, everyone's happy. As i checked late in September and through October/november my points remained. Quite happy with that i thought, gives me another year to make a "real" booking somehow, somewhere.
Come early January i get an alert from AwardWallet to say my points total is now 0. I contacted [email protected] (as i have done ver the last 15 years or so) to ask for their restoration. Over the next 2-3 months very poor slow response asking the same basic questions (name, email address, account number etc), no real follow up from CS and certainly no resolution nor points returned.
Seeing a need for a points booking quite soon, i contact them again to ask for progress and i'm now asked for the booking ref or contract etc. so i provide all the information i have - the mails on the day, the booking confirmation etc. Within hours, unusually, they respond to tell me i was a no show. All points gone, goodbye. I guess that CSR wasn't so helpful after all. I respond to explain, but nothing from them in the last 10 days.
Now i check, indeed the September booking doesn't show in my account. All the paperwork i had i remember i threw mid autumn when i saw that my plan had been successful, so have nothing to say i took/signed for the car. (Does anyone really keep old rental car contracts for 6 months ago?). All i have is a credit card statement showing the £5 LGW car park fee for the day of the rental.
I do occasionally see an award wallet notification to show that i have ~5000 points back, but within 24hours they're gone again.

Anything else i can do to try to recover my points? Someone else to contact or appeal to? 5* if it makes any difference.

Mal
Old Apr 6, 2022, 11:43 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Did you get a copy of the receipt showing that you had returned the car, amount charged, date/time returned?

I have learned never to leave the Hertz lot without a printed receipt/closed contract in hand, which I now keep basically forever in case Hertz decides to arrest me too.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: FB Gold, Accor Gold, IHG One Rewards Platinum, SNCF Grand Voyager le club, Hertz 5* Gold,
I did, but foolishly 1-2 months later when i was sure i had retained the points successfully, i binned it. Hindsight, i know....
There's also the point that i should have clicked that the non-points based charges - taxes etc, only about £5-£10 don't appear on my credit card statement.
All the subtle clues were there, just i'm not point-experienced enough to have joined them all up ...
Old Apr 9, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Originally Posted by louie-m
I don't think so, no. I think they will be valid for 18m from the last time your spouse earned Hertz points him or herself, subject to the general extension to the end of this year if they have 5* or PC status (if that would mean an extension).
Has anyone successfully "extended" their points in this way by transferring to your spouse?
Auto Enthusiast and badAmex like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 9:38 pm

Has anyone tried perpetual modification of a future-dated points reservation as a workaround to points expiring? Would this work? I don't have a ton, maybe 2300 points to lose, and haven't had a Hertz rental since Nov 2020.

I have my points expiring in a few days. I have a day trip planned in about a month, and to create some Hertz rental activity thought I'd try to use my points to make a reservation (car pickup date will occur 3 weeks after current points expiration date), and it seemed to go through with no problem.

I soon after had to change my car pickup to a week later and a different location, and went on the Hertz site to "modify reservation", and it took the change with no problem, and just changed the tax component a bit but the points automatically remained applied. My account total still shows those points as deducted.

Here are the key questions...
Since I will not have completed a rental before the 18-month expiration, (just reserved with points for a date farther into the future), will this points reservation invalidate itself when my points expire in a few days?

If the reservation survives the point expiration deadline, and since it seems to (so far) let me make any sorts of modifications to date and location while keeping it as a points redemption reservation, can I use this as a dummy booking strategy to make some random reservation (or make two or three) with points way out into the future, as a holding tank for my expiring points, and then modify those reservations for date/location whenever I actually need to use them?

And then, whenever I actually use one of those points reservations, will that count as account activity and reset the expiration clock on the whole bundle, allowing me to cancel the other dummy points reservations and get the points back in my account with a new expiration?

The other risk is that after the original expiration deadline passes, if I then try to modify the reservation again, will it still accept it, or will it boot out the points as invalid at that time? I suppose I'll find out in a few days once my current point expiration deadline comes around.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:01 am

That will NOT work. They changed the T&C and the rental has to be completed before they expire.
Auto Enthusiast and Carotthat like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.