Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discount Discussion - Discuss PCs, RQs, CDPs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discount Discussion - Discuss PCs, RQs, CDPs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
How do you do this?

I haven't been able to do it because I always use a PC, and since points rewards also use PCs I have never been able to also use free days in the same rental.

I always end up having to make 2 separate reservations, and return to the location to renew my contract.
Not quite sure what you're asking. I don't use two PC codes, I just get a better rate direct through AAA, then go to Hertz to add my points.

I book directly through the AAA site, with my Hertz Gold number, which is cheaper for some classes (full size and smaller) than using the AAA CDP through the Hertz site.

After I reserve through the AAA site, I use the confirmation number I got there at the Hertz site and I modify the reservation.

Because no PC code was used when I booked at the AAA site, I can then go ahead and add in the points usage (which, as you say, comes in the form of a PC code).

Any PC code you use when booking at the AAA site does come across when you try and modify at the Hertz site, so there is no way to double dip on PC codes.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:39 am

Does anyone know of any dollars off PCs good in May for USAA/AAA? I can't seem to find anything past March.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Does anyone know of any dollars off PCs good in May for USAA/AAA? I can't seem to find anything past March.
You can always add them in as they become available. Hertz usually only goes out a few months, except for one's that are good all year. There is a $25 one good for all year in the other thread.

But I've recently found that AutoSlash can do the work for you. Pretty impressed. There system keeps checking and re-checking rates and PCs.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by mryyc
Any PC code you use when booking at the AAA site does come across when you try and modify at the Hertz site, so there is no way to double dip on PC codes.
And that's what I don't like: that they've set up using points as PCs. I wish they were a little more flexible.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Originally Posted by exerda
Got an e-mail from Hertz with PC 165944, offering "up to $30 off a weekend or weekly rental" until 1/31/2012.
May not have worked for you, but that was JUST what I needed, as the other $10/day off coupons work only at airports, but this one worked at my HLE. I may actually have this in my email somewhere, but I came looking here first. Thanks for sharing it. (Hat tip also to Rut Dog in the other thread who mentioned this aspect of this PC.)

It's a pretty cheap 2-day weekend res that I'm looking at, so the extra 10 bucks off is over 15% additional discount. ^
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Advantage always had the CDP field. The PC code field is new though. The field started showing up on the Advantage website about a month ago. There are Advantage-specific PC codes. The only one I know about right now is 164323 which gets you $25 off a weekly rental of an SUV or Minivan, but I suspect that they will utilize it more in their marketing efforts in the coming months.

As for the Hertz PC codes working (not all of them work based on my investigation), it's not surprising since Advantage is using Hertz's back-end reservation system. It's tough to say though whether it will get flagged at the time of rental. OTOH, it would seem that the risk is fairly minimal. If they deny the coupon, you'll pay a bit more.

If you do decide to go ahead with this, please do report back on the result. Thanks!
Here's the report on using the Hertz coupon at Advantage. The Advantage agent processed the car, and then said the total was about $32 more than my quoted rate with the Hertz $30 off ($10/day) coupon. I mentioned that maybe the reservation didn't have the coupon loaded correctly. He said that he saw it in there and read me the correct coupon savings, but that it just would not total up right. He worked at it for 5 min and was confused, then finally just manually adjusted it to match my quoted rate. He was nice about it. I ended up getting a midsize SUV for $4/day + tax.

So, if Advantage.com will take your Hertz coupon, they should honor the quote, but YMMV. And make sure you have a printout of the quoted rate and expect a litte confusion at the counter.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: Lotz
Originally Posted by mryyc
I discovered the AAA site to book through for the last trip to SAN in September, and it was about $80 per week less for midsize through full size, as opposed to entering the CDP at Hertz's site. I also have just used it to peliminarily book OGG for 9 days, and its saved $96 vs the Hertz site with CDP.

On the invoice summary section after you select the car and add ons etc, its called "official (your aaa (in my case caa) club) travel". Its not called that using the CDP through the Hertz site, it just states how much your discount is for the CDP.

Of course after booking through the aaa site, you can then go in and log into the Hertz site and view it, and add any PC codes there (I tried adding a PC code at aaa site, predictably it also comes through on the Hertz site), or you can add/use Gold points rewards at that point.

I have the standard car reservation at OGG, just contemplating using 500 points for a double upgrade to premium (depending on what is premium at OGG) or, points to take 3 weekend days off, which would drop the total down another $100 to a low $276 all in for 9 days for a standard.
+1

Add me to the many who have found booking directly through the AAA site is cheaper than using the AAA code on Hertz's site. For me at DCA it was about a 15% difference on base rate and then I pulled the res up on the Hertz site to add the PC.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 pm

I've searched and searched, and still couldn't find an answer to this one. The under 25 PC# 144314 seems to not work after 1/31/2012. Any chance that they will renew that, or if they have already, is it a different number?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:01 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by kscessnadriver
I've searched and searched, and still couldn't find an answer to this one. The under 25 PC# 144314 seems to not work after 1/31/2012. Any chance that they will renew that, or if they have already, is it a different number?
Just sign up for Hertz Gold Family program or USAA. Both waive the underage fee, and both allow you to use other coupons on top of the CDP.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, SW, BA, AAA, AmEX Gold. SPG,Marriott, HHonors
Originally Posted by tassojunior
+1

Add me to the many who have found booking directly through the AAA site is cheaper than using the AAA code on Hertz's site. For me at DCA it was about a 15% difference on base rate and then I pulled the res up on the Hertz site to add the PC.
I read your post and checked the AAA site. I booked a Toyota Corolla on the Hertz site 10 days ago for Ft Myers--HLE location, using the AAA discount for 2 months and got it for $ 1340. total with tax. Today the quote for the same period on the AAA site is $2508. total with tax. I don't think I'll book on the AAA site.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: Miles and More
Looking for a Hertz CDP and PC for a trip to London UK next week. I want to pick up a car at the airport and most of the coupons I find don't work in the UK.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by dapet
I read your post and checked the AAA site. I booked a Toyota Corolla on the Hertz site 10 days ago for Ft Myers--HLE location, using the AAA discount for 2 months and got it for $ 1340. total with tax. Today the quote for the same period on the AAA site is $2508. total with tax. I don't think I'll book on the AAA site.
That's an apples-to-oranges comparison. Rental rates can change multiple times a day. The only valid comparison is checking the rate on both sites at the time time with the same CDP. There's a good chance that the rate on Hertz.com is almost double now as well (certainly worth checking though).

I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again. If you use the book-it-and-forget-it method then you are probably leaving money on the table. There is money to be saved by check your rate at least daily--especially as you approach your rental date (there can be a lot of price movement a week to a day before the pickup date).

AutoSlash has obviously built a business on this, but even if you book with Hertz, AAA or some other site, check rates on your own frequently if you want to get the best rate. You might be surprised how much you can save.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
My daughter's team was added as a last minute addition to two tournament with one in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale during the dreaded President's Week. My travel dates are pickup at MCO on Sunday 2/19 at 6:00pm and dropoff at FLL on 2/23 at 10am.

Right now the lowest rate I have is with Budget at $217.60 for a Dodge Avenger.

I prefer to go with Hertz, but the lowest rate I have is with a Toyota Camry Hybrid at $472.78 with AAA code. Anyone one know anyway to get a cheaper one?

Thanks
Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by ktremor
My daughter's team was added as a last minute addition to two tournament with one in Orlando and Fort Lauderdale during the dreaded President's Week. My travel dates are pickup at MCO on Sunday 2/19 at 6:00pm and dropoff at FLL on 2/23 at 10am.

Right now the lowest rate I have is with Budget at $217.60 for a Dodge Avenger.

I prefer to go with Hertz, but the lowest rate I have is with a Toyota Camry Hybrid at $472.78 with AAA code. Anyone one know anyway to get a cheaper one?

Thanks
That's a great rate from Budget, and just about as low as I'm seeing for Hertz. I don't know that you'll do much better, but it's worth re-pricing it as the pickup date approaches since rates can change (often at the last minute).
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
That's a great rate from Budget, and just about as low as I'm seeing for Hertz. I don't know that you'll do much better, but it's worth re-pricing it as the pickup date approaches since rates can change (often at the last minute).
Thanks autslash, I though it was a good quote but wanted to make sure. I got the info from the people over at disboards.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.