Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Discount Discussion - Discuss PCs, RQs, CDPs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discount Discussion - Discuss PCs, RQs, CDPs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by dcline414
Just received this email from Hertz:
I just picked up a weekly at a HLE before the 1st but will return in March hopefully this works for this
Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
I have a reservation for a HLE compact in PHX. USAA CDP and PC 167252. The total comes to $33!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
I'm an expert at Marriott, Delta, and some others. I'm a car rental amateur. I need a full size SUV (or anything else that can handle 8 passengers, 5 being kids in boosters) from PHX for Mar 12-17 (5 days +3 hours). I have Gold status with Hertz. I'm weighing three methods:

A) Booking using Autoslash. Rate shows as ~$960 via Hertz, but I understand discounts will be applied and the rate re-shopped over the weekend. If I don't like where it goes, can I cancel no-fee?

B) Priceline + 5% cashback (ShopAtHome). Would do Name Your Price and bid aggressively, hoping to get $750 or less.

C) Directly via AAA. I'm an AAA member and it looks like that would secure $790. My understanding is that I could apply an airline coupon on top of this and pick up bonus miles. Not sure if I'd need to use AAA's site or could apply everything via Hertz's site directly.

Input appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:13 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by mooper
I need a full size SUV (or anything else that can handle 8 passengers, 5 being kids in boosters) from PHX for Mar 12-17 (5 days +3 hours).
For that length of time you are looking at a full weekly rate. I haven't ever booked through a 3rd party site, but here are the rates I am seeing with my comany's CDP:

GMC Yukon: $700+fees=$840
Chevy Traverse: $520+fees=$640

IME many of the Traverses have the 8 passenger setup. You may want to try that and book on the phone to have the agent to put a note in the reservation.

I would imagine that you could get rates at least this good through a third party site if you don't want to hunt down a good CDP and coupon code.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:47 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

With AutoSlash you can can or cancel at any time without penalty.

The Traverse is only a 7-passenger vehicle, so I don't think that's going to cut it with 5 booster seats.

You really need the full-size SUV. I did some quick analysis and it looks like your best best is with the USAA discount via Hertz. USAA is free for anyone to join. See more info here.

While the pickup and dropoff times can change the pricing a bit, I plugged in some guesses for 5 days+3 hours and got $774.05. If you'd like to book, just click here. Be sure to click on the Change your search link at the top to change the pickup/dropoff times to suit your needs.

Hope this help. Have a great trip!

I'm an expert at Marriott, Delta, and some others. I'm a car rental amateur. I need a full size SUV (or anything else that can handle 8 passengers, 5 being kids in boosters) from PHX for Mar 12-17 (5 days +3 hours). I have Gold status with Hertz. I'm weighing three methods:

A) Booking using Autoslash. Rate shows as ~$960 via Hertz, but I understand discounts will be applied and the rate re-shopped over the weekend. If I don't like where it goes, can I cancel no-fee?

B) Priceline + 5% cashback (ShopAtHome). Would do Name Your Price and bid aggressively, hoping to get $750 or less.

C) Directly via AAA. I'm an AAA member and it looks like that would secure $790. My understanding is that I could apply an airline coupon on top of this and pick up bonus miles. Not sure if I'd need to use AAA's site or could apply everything via Hertz's site directly.

Input appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:21 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much - very helpful.

Chevy Tahoe looks like it will work, too.

USAA gave me a problem signing up because, despite the terms you correctly cite as saying that "others" can join for shopping discounts, it wouldn't let me because I needed to have a family member who served (grandparents did, not me nor parents though). Is there a way around this? Will Autoslash automatically apply the USAA even if I'm not a member, or do I need to manually enter it? I understand that Autoslash automatically applies coupons, but I'm not sure I understand what it does with ones that require membership (I think AAA does, too... I am a member of AAA).

What would an expected outcome of Priceline be? I know its not guaranteed when you do Name Your Own Price, but I've had success with it before. With 5% cash back, if I got, say $750 via Priceline, I'd be sitting pretty. Maybe a good strategy to try it first, and if rejected, then do Autoslash?

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
With AutoSlash you can can or cancel at any time without penalty.

The Traverse is only a 7-passenger vehicle, so I don't think that's going to cut it with 5 booster seats.

You really need the full-size SUV. I did some quick analysis and it looks like your best best is with the USAA discount via Hertz. USAA is free for anyone to join. See more info here.

While the pickup and dropoff times can change the pricing a bit, I plugged in some guesses for 5 days+3 hours and got $774.05. If you'd like to book, just click here. Be sure to click on the Change your search link at the top to change the pickup/dropoff times to suit your needs.

Hope this help. Have a great trip!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:34 pm

Awesome! Thanks so much - very helpful.

Chevy Tahoe looks like it will work, too.

USAA gave me a problem signing up because, despite the terms you correctly cite as saying that "others" can join for shopping discounts, it wouldn't let me because I needed to have a family member who served (grandparents did, not me nor parents though). Is there a way around this? Will Autoslash automatically apply the USAA even if I'm not a member, or do I need to manually enter it? I understand that Autoslash automatically applies coupons, but I'm not sure I understand what it does with ones that require membership (I think AAA does, too... I am a member of AAA).

What would an expected outcome of Priceline be? I know its not guaranteed when you do Name Your Own Price, but I've had success with it before. With 5% cash back, if I got, say $750 via Priceline, I'd be sitting pretty. Maybe a good strategy to try it first, and if rejected, then do Autoslash?

Thanks again.
I just went through the signup process and I answered NO to each and every question about military connection and it still signed me up. You may want to try again.

AutoSlash will NOT automatically apply USAA or AAA benefits since we don't yet have a way of letting people indicate that they are members on our site. However, we can tell if you used those discount codes, so we'll keep them on your reservation and try to pair the best PC code we can with either of them. Alternatively you can just email us with your Trip ID after booking to confirm you're a member and we can add the appropriate discount code on our end.

Note that the link in my previous post had the USAA discount code embedded, so if you sign up, just click on that to book.

Can't really comment on Priceline. Certainly there are good deals to be had in some cases, but there are limitations to the service. You're basically gambling that we can't do better for you over time. See here for something I wrote on opaque rentals.

Good luck!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 3:59 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
Southwest CDP beat USAA by $24 total on a 2 day, full-size, HLE --> PHX, No PC
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by maanfi24
Southwest CDP beat USAA by $24 total on a 2 day, full-size, HLE --> PHX, No PC
Yes, as stated in the past, there is no single "best" CDP. USAA and AAA for Hertz are both excellent, and as far as the non-corporate CDP's go that the public can use, on average they yield the best discounts. However there are situations where a different CDP can sometimes be far below the others. It's worth testing multiple CDP's or using a service like AutoSlash that can do this for you.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
I just went through the signup process and I answered NO to each and every question about military connection and it still signed me up. You may want to try again.

AutoSlash will NOT automatically apply USAA or AAA benefits since we don't yet have a way of letting people indicate that they are members on our site. However, we can tell if you used those discount codes, so we'll keep them on your reservation and try to pair the best PC code we can with either of them. Alternatively you can just email us with your Trip ID after booking to confirm you're a member and we can add the appropriate discount code on our end.

Note that the link in my previous post had the USAA discount code embedded, so if you sign up, just click on that to book.

Can't really comment on Priceline. Certainly there are good deals to be had in some cases, but there are limitations to the service. You're basically gambling that we can't do better for you over time. See here for something I wrote on opaque rentals.

Good luck!
I tried USAA again and did the same - no to each - and it tells me I'm not eligible. Perhaps something about my SS# (I shouldn't be in their system), state, birthday, or something else makes me ineligible but not others? I tried different browsers, addresses, etc... no go. Odd. Followed your links to the registration page, so should be in the right area.

Gotcha on the saved codes. Nice enhancement idea for Autoslash in the future (being able to save programs you're a member of to your account to have them included in the auto-applied codes).

Very nice piece of the opaque sites! Upside is that you can often get a rate that beats all available codes at the time. Downside is that rules are tighter, including prepay/cancellation, so you're locked in and forgoing the chance that Autoslash might grab you a lower rate if they change before your rental day arrives. Did I get that about right?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:49 am

Very nice piece of the opaque sites! Upside is that you can often get a rate that beats all available codes at the time. Downside is that rules are tighter, including prepay/cancellation, so you're locked in and forgoing the chance that Autoslash might grab you a lower rate if they change before your rental day arrives. Did I get that about right?
Yes, that's exactly correct.

Not sure what's up with the USAA signup. Sorry for the wild goose chase.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:19 am

I need a minivan from SJC on 8/26 until 9/3. Pick up and drop off time is 9 AM.

1911795 $500.74 USD (after fees)
1861176 Pay now: 646.16 USD Pay later: 794.68 USD (after fees)

Someone mentioned that the manager took off the 1911795 code from the rental. Is there anything I can do to prevent that? What kind of proof do I need? Can you help me find a lower rate? Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:13 pm

Adrenaline codes?

Posting here as it's the right thread:

I was looking at reserving the Camaro SS Conv. for a weekend but maybe a whole week out of IAH - unfortunately, someone booked it before I could and now Dallas is my only option (yes i'm willing to fly to a different city for my car )

DFW prices on the Adrenaline collection are much higher (looks like there is no weekend special like in IAH). I'm travelling for business (using my corporate CDP w/ built-in LDW) but am paying for the cost difference for the Adrenaline collection out of my pocket.

Any ideas? I've looked around for an active PC code that I could use with my CDP (no luck so far)...

-Keith
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by thekeithers
Posting here as it's the right thread:

I was looking at reserving the Camaro SS Conv. for a weekend but maybe a whole week out of IAH - unfortunately, someone booked it before I could and now Dallas is my only option (yes i'm willing to fly to a different city for my car )

DFW prices on the Adrenaline collection are much higher (looks like there is no weekend special like in IAH). I'm travelling for business (using my corporate CDP w/ built-in LDW) but am paying for the cost difference for the Adrenaline collection out of my pocket.

Any ideas? I've looked around for an active PC code that I could use with my CDP (no luck so far)...

-Keith
If you're a AAA member try CDP 1805452 and PC 157990. If not AAA, then I don't see anything else available for a weekend.

For a weekly rental of the Adrenaline collection, try 107855.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:01 pm

Renting at SFO

I plan to rent either a compact or a Prius at SFO for 3 weeks in April. The AMEX Plat CDP seems to yield the best rate. If I pay online, do I have to pay with my AMEX card (being a Taiwan AMEX card it has a 2% oversea fee), or I can pay with other credit cards?

Thanks =)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.