Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:27 pm

SLC Hertz Presidents Circle 1/23

This location was miserable. Arrived at 11 pm on 1/23. PC had basic full sized cars - and only about 4 of them - and two GMC trucks. Fortunately the trucks were brand new, but not impressed with options here.

It also took 20 minutes to exit, since they have one lane and tried to up sell me on everything even though that’s not supposed to happen with PC.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:50 am

Zero bed covers. I was looking for the same - so yeah, it was annoying not being able to leave skis in the back.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:28 am

Terrible choices

Arrived at SLC last night, Hertz PC had several Camaros, Optimas, and Malibus. When I arrived there was a Land Rover parked in PC, but as I started loading up my stuff into it one of the guys ran over and told me it was parked in the wrong spot. No SUVs, trucks, crossovers, or anything AWD available. I ended up taking a Malibu. They are also very slow getting you out of the lot. Overall, a disappointing experience.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:21 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UA1K/Million Miler;Honors Silver,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
I've rented they're using PC but also another option. There's a h l e at about 750 South Main Street. You can take the tracks. From the end of the airport to the courthouse station, which is two and a half blocks away takes about 30 minutes. They have SUV's not the greatest selection that you might see at the airport + full four-wheel drive pickups. Last week I checked on the price for a 5-day rental at that local. It was $260 the same price at the airport was over twice as much I figure the inconvenience of getting on a Trax train for $2.50 and sitting in a spacious compartment most of the times and walking the two and a half blocks was worth saving $300 +. Plus what's the deal about having a pickup with no bed cover those ski racks, they rent you on vehicles cost over $18 a day and they're not lockable. You're either skiing on the skis or else you're taking them inside. You can put them inside the vehicle truck. That's not the end of the world.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by rustyr
I've rented they're using PC but also another option. There's a h l e at about 750 South Main Street. You can take the tracks. From the end of the airport to the courthouse station, which is two and a half blocks away takes about 30 minutes. They have SUV's not the greatest selection that you might see at the airport + full four-wheel drive pickups. Last week I checked on the price for a 5-day rental at that local. It was $260 the same price at the airport was over twice as much I figure the inconvenience of getting on a Trax train for $2.50 and sitting in a spacious compartment most of the times and walking the two and a half blocks was worth saving $300 +. Plus what's the deal about having a pickup with no bed cover those ski racks, they rent you on vehicles cost over $18 a day and they're not lockable. You're either skiing on the skis or else you're taking them inside. You can put them inside the vehicle truck. That's not the end of the world.
The HLE used to be at 1148 S Main Street; I used to rent there very often. Within a 15-minute radius they will even pick you up during business hours. They get the bottom of the barrel cars from the SLC airport, though. The two nicest cars I got (this is back in 2012-2013) from the HLE were a well-equipped Malibu and a well-equipped Cruze. It is very convenient but it's best to go in with checked expectations. At some point in 2013 the airport became the same price as (or cheaper than) the HLE so I switched my rentals to there since I was working at SLC.

-J.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 3:11 pm

Hello,

I made a pay-later reservation at Hertz SLC on a Monday morning in April for a G4 (XTS or similar). I also made a pay-later reservation for significantly cheaper at Enterprise (same date and time) for a Premium car (Maxima or similar). Driving through national parks and returning to a different location in Arizona. The goal is to drive off the lot with something relatively interesting (Mustang, C300 etc...). I'm willing to pay around $30 extra a day for an upgrade - maybe a bit more at Enterprise and a bit less at Hertz. Does anyone recommend a strategy here? How late in the process can I walk away from the counter/which company should I go to first? Not a business traveler, so I have low status at both.

Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Speedbird747
Hello,

I made a pay-later reservation at Hertz SLC on a Monday morning in April for a G4 (XTS or similar). I also made a pay-later reservation for significantly cheaper at Enterprise (same date and time) for a Premium car (Maxima or similar). Driving through national parks and returning to a different location in Arizona. The goal is to drive off the lot with something relatively interesting (Mustang, C300 etc...). I'm willing to pay around $30 extra a day for an upgrade - maybe a bit more at Enterprise and a bit less at Hertz. Does anyone recommend a strategy here? How late in the process can I walk away from the counter/which company should I go to first? Not a business traveler, so I have low status at both.

Thank you in advance.
You'll probably get an XTS from Hertz. For a driving-intensive trip like that, I think the XTS would be ideal.

-J.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
You'll probably get an XTS from Hertz. For a driving-intensive trip like that, I think the XTS would be ideal.

-J.
Thank you. So you recommend I stick with the Hertz reservation? I was hoping to switch into something with tad more driving dynamics, but overall I would be ok with an XTS.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Speedbird747
Thank you. So you recommend I stick with the Hertz reservation? I was hoping to switch into something with tad more driving dynamics, but overall I would be ok with an XTS.
It's a nice, cushy car for a long drive. And it has about 50 more hp than the C300.

-J.
Old Jul 6, 2020, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Things seem to have changed here... all names on the board had “KEY”, less then 30 seconds showing my ID at the gold booth and I had keys, no exit gates what so ever, you just exit the garage through the open exits lol
kbean likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2021, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Pretty decent selection in President's Circle today. There were a couple of SUVs (Cadillac XT5, Range Rover Evoque, Mazda CX-30, Chevy Traverse) and the usual selection of full-sized sedans. The Range Rover was a bit too small, so I took the XT5, which I'm pretty happy with; was the V6 model and came pretty well optioned with panoramic sunroof.
GW McLintock and comeflywme like this.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I picked up from SLC at about 5pm last Thursday. I had reserved a mid-sized and could take anything from the 5* lot (or gold I guess). I ended up with a 2021 Subaru Outback, had about 5k miles on it, and still smelled kind of new. It had a huge display that I used for Car Play, but it did not have satellite radio (I just used FM radio). It had a sunroof, and at least the driver's seat had all electronic controls. Not a bad vehicle at all. It handled quite well, especially on some of the passes near town.

I know there was a sports car, I think a Mustang, that I was tempted by... But I was there for swim events, and I thought I'd be hauling a kayak around (inflatable), so I figured the Outback would be more practical. There was at least a minivan or 2, and a few 4-door sedan-type vehicles. Not a bad selection at all.

Hertz sent an email the day before my return, "save time by pre-paying for fuel." I filled up at Sam's Club instead The return (around 8am on Monday morning) wasn't too busy at all.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ended up doing 3 trips to SLC this summer. The first was in June, when I got an Outback. Then in July I took a Nissan Kicks (it was pretty slim pickings).

Then last week, I was back...and I took this, and had a fantastic time! I hadn't driven a convertible in years. Yea it was a little warm for the top down, but I didn't care.
If memory serves, there were 3 convertibles, this one Ford Mustang, and 2 Chevy (I assume Camaro?).
It did have 40k+ miles on it, but otherwise the vehicle was in decent shape. Leather seats (with heat and cooling), and the engine has some good pickup (especially compared with that Kicks), for passing on some 2-lane rural roads.
The second picture (with the top down) was in front of my Airbnb, very close to Liberty Park. A very nice area to stay in town.

Auto Enthusiast and Ordpc like this.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
Then last week, I was back...and I took this, and had a fantastic time! I hadn't driven a convertible in years. Yea it was a little warm for the top down, but I didn't care.
If memory serves, there were 3 convertibles, this one Ford Mustang, and 2 Chevy (I assume Camaro?).
It did have 40k+ miles on it, but otherwise the vehicle was in decent shape. Leather seats (with heat and cooling), and the engine has some good pickup (especially compared with that Kicks), for passing on some 2-lane rural roads.
The second picture (with the top down) was in front of my Airbnb, very close to Liberty Park. A very nice area to stay in town.
I got a red one of those from Avis back in 2019 and it was a lot of fun, but kind of tight on space for luggage. My friend and I had to put our bags in the back seat. I also was not a huge fan of the 4-banger.

-J.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2021, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
I got a red one of those from Avis back in 2019 and it was a lot of fun, but kind of tight on space for luggage. My friend and I had to put our bags in the back seat. I also was not a huge fan of the 4-banger.

-J.
Yea, the trunk was pretty small. It fit my medium roller (a checked bag) and a duffel bag, and not much more. When I adjusted the driver's seat for comfort, it went all the way back so would be impossible for someone to sit behind me (and I'm only 5'11").
For me, by myself, it was fine. I was surprised how well a 4-banger handled. Just looked, and I drove it 269 miles, including a trip to Deer Creek and one to Smith and Morehouse (that was where I got to experiment with passing on 2-lane roads).
It was fine for the 4-day trip. If it was much longer, I probably would have taken a 4-door sedan. Nothing else I saw really interested me.
Ordpc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.