Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by maggie92
Thank you for the information. Arrived around 12pm, the counter staff kept selling me the AWD and told me a lot of snow recently. I asked if I can choose the car in PC area and he said no AWD at PC area so I paid $32 a day for 2022 Ford Edge( Tatantium 24K miles). They also offer $40 for Ford escape. I am wondering why Edge is cheaper than Escape and they said they have more Edge today.
Was that $32 over and above your previous booking? What is your total payment and # of days?
Old Feb 27, 2023, 11:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
When I rented from Hertz in DEcember at SLC every SUV I saw was AWD. Just rented a few weeks ago and booked a compact SUV. Wound up with a Toyota Forerunner that was not AWD.
Old Mar 3, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by rj123456
Was that $32 over and above your previous booking? What is your total payment and # of days?
Yes, I booked the medium size with $108 for 3 days and paid $32 per day for upgrade. So the total is 108+96=204 plus extra tax.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by pregabalin
Echoing the above comments, I was just here and this location is purposely putting four-wheel-drive SUVs in reserved sections and not into the PC section. They end up having a bunch of 2WD SUVs in PC that are not suitable for the winter. Not cool. The only AWD car in PC was a BMW 2 series convertible. Ended up taking a 2WD Ford Expedition Max, which is a nice car, but not ideal with the snow recently.
They are definitely under new management, as I have never had trouble getting an AWD vehicle from PC in the winter ever before.
I have seen this location trending this way since Covid started - it's a bummer, used to be a given to get a choice of several AWDs in PC. In early February on a Thursday night I found a loaded 4WD Suburban Premier and somewhat less loaded 4WD (AWD? not sure) Expedition in the PC lot. No smaller 4WD/AWDs, just the two beasts. Took the Suburban and had fun with it.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by whiskeyplease
I have seen this location trending this way since Covid started - it's a bummer, used to be a given to get a choice of several AWDs in PC. In early February on a Thursday night I found a loaded 4WD Suburban Premier and somewhat less loaded 4WD (AWD? not sure) Expedition in the PC lot. No smaller 4WD/AWDs, just the two beasts. Took the Suburban and had fun with it.
This totally devalues PC and 5 ⭐. Just leave 0 star reviews.

I wonder how National Emerald Aisle compares at SLC, I will switch to them if they have AWDs.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:16 am

Another mixed experience here

Got into SLC Saturday morning.

The bad: Hertz staff informed me, and I verified with a quick walk through, that there was no AWD in the PC, Gold etc lots. It had been snowing all week so demand would have been high.

The good: I had reserved a compact SUV, and they had a 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 (7500 miles) waiting for me. That’s significantly more car than I had reserved. Not sure if my PC status got me the upgrade.

Seems like you need to rent an SUV to have a good chance of AWD here these days.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat and that is all that matters.
I rent frequently from SLC, choices can be hit or miss, but during ski season a 4WD/AWD is very rare in PC/Gold etc. When there is one, it is usually a high mileage one way they are trying to get rid of or so.

Was just in SLC Friday morning, and PC was full of SUVs: Ford Expeditions, Explorers, Highlanders, and Chevy Traverses. They were all 2WD versions, and all had a sticker saying that so they weren't picked up by mistake. While I was waiting, they dropped off a buick Enclave AWD with Cali plates, and I took that.

Gold and Five star were a mix of smaller SUVs but none were AWD. There were a few mustanges, challengers, a few BMW 3 and 5 series, and a random Alfa Romeo sedan that I would have tried if i didnt need the AWD.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 12:03 pm

Anyone know if the pickup trucks are AWD? I’m looking at booking in late April and see many options for SUVs (small, medium, large, elite, etc) and small/medium options for SUV but none of them say if they are guaranteed AWD/4WD. The small/medium SUVs and pickups are all at prices I would pay ($25-50ish per day). Larger and elite SUVs are more expensive and I don’t need the extra space (and they still don’t seem to guarantee AWD).
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by frequentfiler
Anyone know if the pickup trucks are AWD? I’m looking at booking in late April and see many options for SUVs (small, medium, large, elite, etc) and small/medium options for SUV but none of them say if they are guaranteed AWD/4WD. The small/medium SUVs and pickups are all at prices I would pay ($25-50ish per day). Larger and elite SUVs are more expensive and I don’t need the extra space (and they still don’t seem to guarantee AWD).
The pickups can be AWD (4WD is more likely), but as with SUVs, Hertz won’t guarantee either. It’s always a gamble. If your trip depends on it, I suggest reserving both and figuring it out when you get there.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:14 pm

The pickups can be AWD (4WD is more likely), but as with SUVs, Hertz won’t guarantee either. It’s always a gamble. If your trip depends on it, I suggest reserving both and figuring it out when you get there.
Thanks. I’ve seen a couple references like this to make multiple reservations. Can you cancel one of them when you get there? No penalties for that or anything?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:08 am

Thanks. I’ve seen a couple references like this to make multiple reservations. Can you cancel one of them when you get there? No penalties for that or anything?
Just be careful to make cancellable reservations (don’t prepay) and you should be fine.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:18 am

Just be careful to make cancellable reservations (don’t prepay) and you should be fine.
I just tried and got an error something like: According to our records, this overlaps with an existing reservation. Please check details before rebooking.

I hit ok and tried again but got same error.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 8:39 pm

I just tried and got an error something like: According to our records, this overlaps with an existing reservation. Please check details before rebooking.

I hit ok and tried again but got same error.
Strange. I've definitely made two nearly identical reservations without running into that. Are you booking directly with Hertz or through a third party? Autoslash usually sends me to Priceline for better rates.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:36 pm

Strange. I've definitely made two nearly identical reservations without running into that. Are you booking directly with Hertz or through a third party? Autoslash usually sends me to Priceline for better rates.
I was trying in the Hertz iPhone app
Old Apr 25, 2023, 6:15 pm

One way drop off

I have a reservation with Avis for a full size car as no SUVs were available for my travel dates in late June. I have a reservation for a one way drop off at Calgary. I was wondering if I could pick up my car from PC lot without visiting the kiosk?

The booking is not prepaid. Also for Canada I believe I need a yellow insurance card from Avis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.