Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Anyone rent from Hertz in Salt Lake City often?

Flying in the first week of March and want to know how the cars and customer service is.

Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, WN CP & A-List P
I utilize the SLC location at least once a month. Knock on wood, I've never had any significant issues. Just small things like being charged for NL when I didn't ask for it - and all of those small items have been addressed by the checkin agent upon return. The location is very convenient - get your bags and traverse a couple lanes of airport traffic and you're off.

FWIW - I normally rent SUV's.....it seems the entire fleet has been swapped out recently with new rigs (can't comment on the car fleet) - I haven't seen anything over 2k on the clocks on my last three rentals.

Last edited by nitro; Jan 27, 2010 at 11:36 am Reason: added comments
Old Feb 1, 2010, 4:34 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, Aeroplan
Regularly use Hertz at SLC airport. Very convenient as just across the street from arrivals, never had problems (using Gold express service so never went to the desk)
Recently noticed lots of brand new cars, SUVs are mainly Explorers - lots of full size Hyundays sedans
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I rent from SLC on a monthly basis. Its a solid operation and conveniently located. When I was a 5 star, they would typically upgrade me from a compact/intermediate that I reserved up a class or two. A couple of times, they upgraded me to Ford Escapes. I've rented there one time since becoming PC and they upgraded me from a compact to a Prius.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:30 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Rented from SLC for about 30 five day rentals last year... easy to get to, the gold lane isn't very large so depending on how busy it is you may have to get your key from an attendant who mans a key board outside of the gold booth. This happened to me more in the winter and less in the summer (less ski traffic).

If you rent a midsize (picture of the old Mazda 6 on website) be prepared to get a Subaru Impreza. I am PC and I could rarely argue my way out of that one. Also found myself with minivans a few times that I had to argue my way out of. If the gold booth isn't open and you need to swap your car be prepared for some attitude from those at the main desk gold line.

Don't speed coming back into the airport... it drops from 40 to 25 very quickly and I have seen SLC airport police pull into the rental car return while following someone they're pulling over.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ayg
Rented from SLC for about 30 five day rentals last year... easy to get to, the gold lane isn't very large so depending on how busy it is you may have to get your key from an attendant who mans a key board outside of the gold booth. This happened to me more in the winter and less in the summer (less ski traffic).

If you rent a midsize (picture of the old Mazda 6 on website) be prepared to get a Subaru Impreza. I am PC and I could rarely argue my way out of that one. Also found myself with minivans a few times that I had to argue my way out of. If the gold booth isn't open and you need to swap your car be prepared for some attitude from those at the main desk gold line.

Don't speed coming back into the airport... it drops from 40 to 25 very quickly and I have seen SLC airport police pull into the rental car return while following someone they're pulling over.
Thanks for the tip about the speeding ^

Do the Imprezas come equipped with Neverlost?

My reservation is currently for a Compact w/NL...I've never been able to reserve anything smaller than mid-size w/NL before.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:22 pm
ayg

Programs: SWA A List, HH Gold, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wakko11
Do the Imprezas come equipped with Neverlost?
I've had two sedans, and one hatchback and none of them had neverlost... I never specify it, I carry a Magellan Roadmate with me in my bag.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
bump. Any recent experiences?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I believe Jzweighaft is the man to answer this........... and he seems to get excellent service, not least because he has taken the time to befriend the staff there (and make reasonable requests for upgrades, special cars to be made available etc). A policy which usually pays dividends anywhere!i
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by thomas199023
bump. Any recent experiences?
Yes. They still tend to have older, higher mileage cars, but they are often decently equipped and run very well. They also have some newer stuff too.

Make sure you sign up to be a Gold member, as the Gold booth has very friendly people, especially in the afternoons and evenings.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about the location ^

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
I believe Jzweighaft is the man to answer this........... and he seems to get excellent service, not least because he has taken the time to befriend the staff there (and make reasonable requests for upgrades, special cars to be made available etc). A policy which usually pays dividends anywhere!i
It certainly helps to be on a first name basis with most of the customer-facing staff I usually book ICARs so I don't ask for insane upgrades to Infinitis and Benzes, but a Charger or a new Malibu? Not a problem. I've even taken a Prius and recently a VW CC at no extra charge.

-J.
Old Nov 2, 2013, 5:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Yes. They still tend to have older, higher mileage cars, but they are often decently equipped and run very well. They also have some newer stuff too.

Make sure you sign up to be a Gold member, as the Gold booth has very friendly people, especially in the afternoons and evenings.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info about the location ^
-J.
Oh yes, I am a Hertz Gold Five Star. Thanks will send pm if I need any more info.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 9:31 am

Anyone had experience recently renting a ski equipped vehicle at SLC? Wondering if I rent an intermediate if I will get upgraded or do they just slap a rack on whatever car you reserve?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:05 am

Flying into SLC @ 3pm on 5 Feb 2016

and am wondering if it's possible to actually request a specific car that they have on the lot?

that way I know what I am getting and will not be told that say....my reservation is for a Ford Fusion, but what I actually get is a Ford Pinto.....

Any Hertz CSR's here online?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
You definitely won't get a Pinto

I've seen very few Fusions at SLC (over the last three years I've seen two, and neither belonged to SLC)... what class did you book? If you booked FCAR you'll probably get a Camry or a Charger, and possibly a Malibu or Impala Limited.

-J.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: AA
SLC Hertz Rental for Skiing

Has anyone rented from Hertz at SLC and selected a ski equipped vehicle? I'm wondering what I might get if I select the Infiniti Q50 with the ski option. Is it a rack on an Infiniti with winter tires or do they have different vehicles at that location? Just trying to see what we may get. Thought I would check here first, see if anyone has had experience with Hertz at SLC, but can always give them a call.

Thanks
Robert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.