Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting at SLC; What Kind of Cars to Expect?" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:17 pm

Anybody been here since August? I'm heading this way soon and wondering what kind of AWD/4WD options I might expect (PC). Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:45 pm

Follow up: ugh

PC was a total ghost town. Four cars in the nearly empty lot, none of them worth a second glance. The man working the Gold counter all but laughed when I asked about the possibility of getting an AWD in PC. “Uh, no. Those are all specialty now.”

Ended up paying an extra $25 a day for an AWD Nissan Rogue with 43K miles. Well, at least the upcharge was surprisingly reasonable.

Don’t expect your status to do you any favors here in ski season.

PC at SLC

Originally Posted by whiskeyplease
Anybody been here since August? I'm heading this way soon and wondering what kind of AWD/4WD options I might expect (PC). Thanks.
rj123456 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
PC was a total ghost town. Four cars in the nearly empty lot, none of them worth a second glance. The man working the Gold counter all but laughed when I asked about the possibility of getting an AWD in PC. “Uh, no. Those are all specialty now.”

Ended up paying an extra $25 a day for an AWD Nissan Rogue with 43K miles. Well, at least the upcharge was surprisingly reasonable.

Don’t expect your status to do you any favors here in ski season.
This was my experience 8-10 years ago as well. In the winter, especially when it snows, there are absolutely no free upgrades to AWD. I used to rent weekly and had to go to Park City when it snowed around two feet, and upgraded to a Rogue for $35 or $45 through the agent (though since I knew everyone there this was promptly swapped to a Cadillac SRX4).

Fun fact, because I had that Cadillac, I was able to leave my best friend's house that night, and now he and my other best friend from college are married and just had a kid. Thanks, Hertz!

-J.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:03 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat and that is all that matters.
AWD/4WD options are very very scarce in the winter. The management keeps them in the reserved sports for paying customers. If you think you really need one, especially if there is a storm or going into the canyons, make a back up reservation for what you want.

I rented 4 times in the last 2 months from SLC. PC choices were Chrysler 300 (non-AWD), Infinity Q60 (Non-AWD), Camaros and Mustangs, Mercedes SLC 300, Honda CIvic, and non-AWD small Kia SUVs. If an AWD/4x4 shows up by accident, it will be picked up quickly. Have also witnessed a manager redirect Tahoe and Subaru Outback off the PC lot and into a reserved spot 3 days ago.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Last edited by KCBD; Jan 10, 2022 at 11:31 pm
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by KCBD
AWD/4WD options are very very scarce in the winter. The management keeps them in the reserved sports for paying customers. If you think you really need one, especially if there is a storm or going into the canyons, make a back up reservation for what you want.

I rented 4 times in the last 2 months from SLC. PC choices were Chrysler 300 (non-AWD), Infinity Q60 (Non-AWD), Camaros and Mustangs, Mercedes SLC 300, Honda CIvic, and non-AWD small Kia SUVs. If an AWD/4x4 shows up by accident, it will be picked up quickly. Have also witnessed a managed redirect Tahoe and Subaru Outback off the PC lot and into a reserved spot 3 days ago.
Just curious is this only SLC? Because I’m sure in DEN you still can find AWD most of the time, and for other northern places that I go a lot like DTW or EWR or JFK there’re AWD all the time
Old Jan 10, 2022, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National EE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat and that is all that matters.
Originally Posted by corolla
Just curious is this only SLC? Because I’m sure in DEN you still can find AWD most of the time, and for other northern places that I go a lot like DTW or EWR or JFK there’re AWD all the time
Possibly. The location has the worst customer service I've had with Hertz. My last rental from the location had expired tags, and when I came back for the exchange they acted like they were doing me a favor by giving me a different car. ORD and DTW I've always had AWDs at all times including winter.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:55 am

Another rental from SLC. Best selection I have seen all winter, but then again I was there at 7:30 a.m. before anything was picked up. Again, no 4WD/AWD options, those are only in reserved spots.

PC had several Ford explorer limited, non-4WD, but fully loaded with heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, and Sirius XM. A BMW X3, several small Kia SUVs, Mazda CX-3, Chevy traverse, Infiniti Q50, Infiniti q30, and Infiniti QX60. Also several Mitsubishi outlanders. Five star had a couple of Ford explorer XLT, two BMW x1s, a Buick encore, and some Impalas. Gold had a few small Kia SUVs, Honda Civic, Elantra, and Ford edge.

After I seriously considering the X3, I ended up taking afford explorer limited. Bigger, more comfy. As I was driving out, they were pulling in a Subaru Forester but I did not need AWD this time. Their reserved spots had plenty of Grand Cherokees, Dodge durangos, Toyota Highlanders, wranglers, tahoes, suburbans, and Chrysler vans.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
This was my experience 8-10 years ago as well. In the winter, especially when it snows, there are absolutely no free upgrades to AWD. I used to rent weekly and had to go to Park City when it snowed around two feet, and upgraded to a Rogue for $35 or $45 through the agent (though since I knew everyone there this was promptly swapped to a Cadillac SRX4).

Fun fact, because I had that Cadillac, I was able to leave my best friend's house that night, and now he and my other best friend from college are married and just had a kid. Thanks, Hertz!

-J.
I'm surprised to hear that. I rented at SLC Hertz at least 7-8 times on ski trips between about 2013 and 2020, and always found a choice of at least 3-4 4WD/AWD options in the PC lot. Off the top of my head I've had a Subaru Legacy, Chrysler 300 AWD, Infiniti Q50 AWD, and massive Dodge 4WD pickup, all without paying a cent in upgrade fees.

Seems all that is a thing of the past - for now, at least.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I'm surprised to hear that. I rented at SLC Hertz at least 7-8 times on ski trips between about 2013 and 2020, and always found a choice of at least 3-4 4WD/AWD options in the PC lot. Off the top of my head I've had a Subaru Legacy, Chrysler 300 AWD, Infiniti Q50 AWD, and massive Dodge 4WD pickup, all without paying a cent in upgrade fees.

Seems all that is a thing of the past - for now, at least.
Back in the day, they have 5 or 6 spots for Gold Choice and that was it (and it was usually pick-your-color Sentra or Corolla). This was long before the whole pick-your-own-car thing

-J.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:09 pm

Hetz SLC late night pickup

Anyone been here late night? What was available in Presidents circle?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:32 pm

I did manage to score an AWD car from the PC section a few weeks back. Walking around the lot trying to figure out if any of the SUVs had AWD (they did not), I noticed the BMW 230 soft top convertible had xDrive! Fortunately the back seat drops down so there was enough room for skis. It was pretty hilarious to head up the canyons in that thing, but it worked totally fine and would have satisfied the traction rules if needed.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:00 am

Dropped off a rental that was next to the Hertz lot on 02/07 (Monday) around 3:30pm and took a quick peek around before heading inside. Went to Park City to ski/snowboard for the weekend and wanted to check out possible options for next time (have Five Star). Gold had a couple of Chevy Trailblazers (AWD) and other compact SUVs that I didn't check to see whether they were AWD/4WD. Five Star was absolutely empty. PC had a couple of Nissan Armadas but most of them had people sitting inside of it, a Chevrolet Suburban, and a pickup truck that I didn't catch the make and model of. Everything else was in the Reserved section.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by neilana
Dropped off a rental that was next to the Hertz lot on 02/07 (Monday) around 3:30pm and took a quick peek around before heading inside. Went to Park City to ski/snowboard for the weekend and wanted to check out possible options for next time (have Five Star). Gold had a couple of Chevy Trailblazers (AWD) and other compact SUVs that I didn't check to see whether they were AWD/4WD. Five Star was absolutely empty. PC had a couple of Nissan Armadas but most of them had people sitting inside of it, a Chevrolet Suburban, and a pickup truck that I didn't catch the make and model of. Everything else was in the Reserved section.
I picked up at 3:00 PM, and I wish I hung out around for the Armada. There was an X3 that left before I got to the lot. PC was absolutely empty for a bit, I hung out for about 15 minutes and they pulled out a couple of Highlanders and a GMC Acadia SLT AWD. Took the GMC. They pulled up a Chevy Silverado and a Chevy Colorado as I was leaving but they both looked like base models so ignored them.
Ordpc likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2022, 2:03 am

Any recent datapoints on availability of AWDs/4WDs? Last fall I was able to get an AWD off the PC lot; they had maybe 3-4.
Old May 24, 2022, 2:59 pm

Was there the night of 05/19 (Thursday). Good selections in PC area: several Ford Explorer, several Nissan Path Finder, several Chevy Traverse, Toyota 4Runner. When got back at 05/23 (Monday), surprisingly all cars in the PC area seems to become "1 level" downgraded: several Ford Edge, Chevy Equinox, Nissan Rogue, Toyota Highlander, and only one Nissan Path Finder that is of the level of 05/19. Perhaps many people picked up the good cars during the weekend and didn't return.
Ordpc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.