Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by ttervooren
We are staying at the Moana Surfrider in Waikiki for 2 days and want to walk somewhere for a good seafood meal. A friend recommended either Azure or Orchids. Can you recommend either of those or somewhere else that you think the food is good?
I've looked at a few menus online and see the prices are high in Waikiki...gasp. But we are hoping to spend around $30 per entree. Is this reasonable or do I need to prepare myself for more.
Yes, Azure at the Royal Hawaiian and Orchids and La Mer at the Halekulani are excellent, but expensive. Roy's Waikiki (across the street from the Halekulani) is always good too. All easy walks from the Moana. Yes you need prepare yourself for more $$$ for fine dining in Waikiki. All will have seafood selections. We also like the Veranda restaurant at your hotel (Moana Surfrider). You might find a $30 entree on a menu, but by the time you add, another course or two, drinks, tax and tip -- $$$$

Slightly more moderate prices, and very good food and service with beach front views are at Duke's or Hula Grill both at the Outrigger Waikiki (right next door to the Moana).

Enjoy! Aloha!

Last edited by davesam12; Jan 14, 2013 at 3:57 pm Reason: corrections
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
The butterfish at Roy's is the best fish anywhere.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
The butterfish at Roy's is the best fish anywhere.
Had some very good Miso Butterfish at Tokoname in Manoa^
Old Jan 20, 2013, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if seafood ~ sushi, try sansei in waikiki
Old Jan 21, 2013, 3:59 pm

Nobu is also excellent.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Many years ago I posted about a little italian restaurant in Waikiki that I had never heard of but found and enjoyed very much. I remember another FT member posted they knew of it as well. I think it was Blondbomber???? or something like that. I could be wrong.
I am going back and would love to eat there except I remember nothing about it except that it looked small from the outside but had great food. It was not Matteo's (I have eaten there too and they are closed now). Does anyone have any idea? I know it is ridiculous with such little info but still worth a try.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Was it Scannicio's? It was near Ft. DeRussy and on the second floor of a shop on Saratoga. I believe it's gone now
Old Jan 23, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Thanks for the try, but no, it was street level and very Italian decorated, old school, lol. I guess it was so long ago it might not even exist anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:40 pm

Location: Half time in PDX, Half time in Ajijic, Mexico. Near GDL
Programs: AA Platinum
Thank you everyone. We ended up at Duke's and had a great sunset and meal. The mahi mahi was wonderful.
The folks at the Moana upgraded us to an oceanview room which I did not expect since I am only Spg Gold...so we have had a marvelous trip. Off to the Big Island tomorrow.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
We tried a couple relatively new restaurants on our recent trip that we really enjoyed.

Lucky Belly: As a NYer I think of this as Honolulu's answer to Momofuku (ie hipster ramen and pork buns) but it was quite tasty. And at least the chairs we had at Lucky Belly had backs!
http://www.luckybelly.com/

Whole Ox Deli: Apparently this place gets packed at lunch but at dinner we found it quite pleasant. Chose a table "outside" (it's open to the street anyway) and got to watch the planes coming in for Kona wind landing. The 21-day dry aged burger seems to get most of the raves on Yelp; it was fine, but we thought the roast chicken was the star of the evening. Veggie sides were good too. BYOB.
http://wholeoxdeli.com/

Prima: We hit the Kailua Farmers' Market on Thursday night and then walked over one strip mall to Prima for dinner (it's in between R.Fields and Baskin Robbins). I'm told these guys used to have an amazing grilled cheese truck before going bricks and mortar. The menu now features pizza (cooked in a wood-burning oven, we got to sit next to the wood pile) but also has a lot of more creative small plates. We were boring and had a salad and pizzas and were very happy. Reservations seem to be advisable, at least on a Thursday night, and can be made on Opentable. +1 was pleasantly surprised to find that this was an iDine restaurant.
http://www.primahawaii.com/
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:01 pm

Oahu, Hawaii - my favorites

I just got back from a business trip to Oahu. Over the course of five days, my team and I hit some pretty great places.

1. Marukame Udon: this was my favorite. It is at 2310 Kuhio Ave in Waikiki, Honolulu. Don't let a long line deter you from waiting. The line moves fast, as it is cafeteria style. I had the Kake Udon, and it was GREAT!
2. Nico’s Pier 38: Located at 1133 N Nimitz Hwy, Honolulu. I get the special every time. A little more difficult to find, but worth it.
3. Roy’s Hawaiian Fusion: In the same building as Embassy Suites on Waikiki. Very pricey, but always comes through with a stellar meal.
4. Side Street Inn: The Furekake Ahi was awesome! It is at 1225 Hopaka St in Waikiki, Honolulu. This place is served family style, so the portions are large. Get several to share for the table.
5. Siam Square: Located at 408 Lewers St, just off Kuhio Ave in Waikiki. My coworker had the Tom Yum soup, and he said it was the best he ever had. As a amateur chef, I take his word. The sticky rice is a popular item. I found the “Evil Curry” a bit salty for my taste.
6. Chun Wah Kam Noodle Factory: Located at 537 Pensacola St. One of the locals brought a box of samples for us to try. The pork bun thing was the best!
7. Liliha Bakery: I wasn’t sure about the coco puffs. Just looking at them isn’t very appetizing; however, one bit and you will be sold! It is off the beaten path, located at 515 N Kuakini St, Honolulu.
8. Leonard’s Bakery: I’m sure the malasadas are cooked with a little bit of crack as they are SO addictive.
9. Kuru Kuru Sushi: Probably, som of the best sushi we had on this trip. You just pick up a plate as it swings by you. When you are done, the waitress adds up yout total based on the color and number of your plates. This is a good way to get a variety of things. It is closer to the USS Arizona Memorial, at 98-199 Kamehameha Hwy.
10. Lanie's Lunchwagon: One of the local’s food trucks, tucked away in an industrial area near Barber’s Pt Beach Park. I got the Hawaiian Mix Plate with Pork Lau Lau and Kahlua Pork. You’ll find it somewhere near the intersection of Hauna and Kauhi Streets, on Kauhi St. The menu changes every day. We went on Friday. I do not recommend the Mahi Mahi though.
11. Wailana Coffee House: Located at 1860 Ala Moana Blvd. I did not attend this meal with my team. They did like it and said they would go again. There is a Valentine’s Day special French toast that sounds good.

Enjoy Hawaii!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Very fine starting list. Oahu has many more fine restaurants/events. One of my favorites is the Chart House fronting the Marina next to Ilikaii Hotel. Try to get a table on outside deck facing boats.
Many suggestions in local daily newspaper-Star Advertiser.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 4:31 pm

Oahu, Hawaii - my favorites

I'm laying on waimea bay beach as I write this!!!
Will check one of those out for dinner tonight. Was just wondering what I was going to eat! Thanks!!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Definitely off the beaten path, but well worth the trip (we thought, anyway)

JJ's Bistro & French Pastry

http://www.jjfrenchpastry.com/
Old Jan 27, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Agree with you on Marukame Udon. Pretty authentic and reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.