Reload this Page >

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Moderator's Note: This is an ARCHIVE (read-only) thread; the active thread for this topic may be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2070868-consolidated-hnl-honolulu-waikiki-oahu-restaurants-bars-thread-2021-a.html

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
Print Wikipost

Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by JPat
No takers so we were on our own....
Pat's Bakery was OK for a quick lunch and croissant in the morning. Did dinner @ Leonardo's @ Turtle Bay... Not impressed. Why do resorts think that everyone goes to Hawaii looking for Italian fare? Our waitress completely botch our order. She totally missed our request to split the salad (in fact no salad ever made it to our table) and than fouled up my order for the risotto special.
Lastly, we had a miserable lunch at a place called The Breakers at the Marketplace in Haleiwa. Next time we do the North Shore I am renting a place with a full kitchen!
Sorry I didn't see this sooner...or I would have tossed out some stuff other than where you went.

I had some friends that stayed 2 nights at Turtle Bay about a month ago and weren't happy with that place either.....

There are plenty of other places in Haleiwa other than where you went that have much better food....

Once again....sorry...
Old Nov 14, 2011, 1:22 pm

Anytime we're at North Shore, I just stick to the different shrimp trucks. Simple and they have their stuff down to a science. Can't mess up those food trucks.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by infamousdx
Anytime we're at North Shore, I just stick to the different shrimp trucks. Simple and they have their stuff down to a science. Can't mess up those food trucks.
Yeah, we saw some of those hanging around the beaches but where we come from we have had some real issues with sanitation surrounding the food prep so we shy away from that method of consumption.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The latest buzz on the island is character breakfasts at Disney Aulani hotel. Had the pleasure attending there on our first trip to Oahu, and had our family picture taken with Mickey.

The breakfast was excellent, and more surprising the buffet offered asian offerings i.e. dim sum., fried rice, salad, miso soup, etc. Excellent and highly recommended.

As well, we had the pleasure of taking in the Polynesian Cultural Center Luau and Signature nightly show Ha: Breath of Life. Luau and Ha combined makes for a fabulous experience.. I wouldn't call the luau standalone the best in all of the islands, but certainly combined with Ha, it is the best.

The best standalone luau in my opinion is Kona Village, on Big Island, and Old Lahaina Luau on Maui. While Kona Village has been destroyed by the Tsunami in 2011, talking with the staff at Four Seasons Hualalai, Kona Village is in the process of rebuilding, and should be back in business in 2013.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Thumbs up

Our ALL time favorites that we get sushi from numerous times per visit are Sasabune (though high priced) and Sushi Gaku ...reservations recommended for both

We also always do Sunday brunch at the Halekulani..which is a high quality food--feast!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
For great sushi I’d look at Sushi Izakaya Gaku, Imanas Tei, Mitch's Fish Market, Sushi Izakaya Gaku and Yohei Sushi. Mostly traditional Japanese sushi, not westernized versions, Mitch's being the exception.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
For great sushi I’d look at Sushi Izakaya Gaku, Imanas Tei, Mitch's Fish Market, Sushi Izakaya Gaku and Yohei Sushi. Mostly traditional Japanese sushi, not westernized versions, Mitch's being the exception.

Definitely agree (as previously posted) on Sushi Izakaya Gaku..make sure to get reservations as they have always been full with people waiting everytime we visit various days of the week.^^
Old May 25, 2012, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Tasty low key Waikiki dinner

Suggestions welcome for a low key tasty not very expensive (i.e., under $30 entrees) Waikiki dinner. Don't need to eat at a "top chef" place - have had plenty of that. Don't need an ocean view, although it doesn't hurt. Don't want to fight for a hard-to-get reservation. I know there must be some gems. It can be any sort of food, as long as it doesn't have arches or a box called Jack. Distance? From the Ilikai to the Zoo. Just something ono. It has been so long since I've spent much time there, despite my 60+ visits over the years. Oh, and no big national chains. And, no mandatory poi

Mahalo
Old May 25, 2012, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
How about the Side Street Inn? They've now opened a location in Waikiki and it's certainly a nicer atmostphere than the original location near the mall.

FWIW - you may need to take a cab to it, unless you're staying near the park, as it would be a pretty long walk from central Waikiki.

Roy's also has a new location in Waikiki that you would be able to walk to.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Anthony Bourdain's "No Reservations" just reran the episode on Hawaii with a generous segment on Side Street Inn with all the local chefs as well as some dive-ey but one grinds type of places. Word from my sistah is that the Kapahulu location is not better than the original.

Jim
Old May 25, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I think the original locatin is slightly better, but if you need a Side Street Inn fix (and I always do) and don't want to leave Waikiki, Kapahulu is it ^
Old May 25, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Suggestions welcome for a low key tasty not very expensive (i.e., under $30 entrees) Waikiki dinner. Don't need to eat at a "top chef" place - have had plenty of that. Don't need an ocean view, although it doesn't hurt. Don't want to fight for a hard-to-get reservation. I know there must be some gems. It can be any sort of food, as long as it doesn't have arches or a box called Jack. Distance? From the Ilikai to the Zoo. Just something ono. It has been so long since I've spent much time there, despite my 60+ visits over the years. Oh, and no big national chains. And, no mandatory poi

Mahalo
Check out Town and Salt Kitchen & Tasting Bar in Kaimuki. A bit beyond your boundries, but worth the effort.

Look at Duc's Bistro in Chinatown too.

PS. Check out the McCully Shopping Center just over the Alawai Canal from Waikiki. It has at least 8 places worth trying.
Old May 25, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
i guess the main thing is how much u wanna be spending?

FYI...Kapahulu isn't waikiki.....but side street inn in kapahulu is nicer then the original..but yeah i didn't think it was as good...
Old May 25, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by bitachu
i guess the main thing is how much u wanna be spending?
It was clear. Under $30 for an entree.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:48 am

Lots of places in the Royal Hawaiian Shipping Center, including these 2:

Cheesecake Factory (long wait at normal hours) http://locations.thecheesecakefactor...=Google+Places

Senor Frog’s http://senorfrogshawaii.com/about-us.asp

Duke’s (just up the street) http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani (across the street) Less than $30 using ala carte. Includes entertainment. http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/dining/pikake/ http://www.princess-kaiulani.com/pdf...rtPT3_7_12.pdf

Seafood Village in Hyatt basement. Reported to be one of the 10 best Chinese in the US.
http://www.seafoodvillagehyatt.com/

Kuhio Beach Grill in the Marriott. Adequate buffet for less than $30 if you pick the day and/or early time. http://www.marriottwaikiki.com/files...ets.030112.pdf

Keoni. Not as fancy as the website makes it look. http://www.keonibykeos.com/

Just wander Kalakaua and to a lessor extent Kuhio. Beware there are some real duds. If possible, Yelp the restaurant (including the above) first.

For a tasty low priced switch, try a plate lunch. Aloha!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.