Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:15 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Rare
Oops, sorry. Fixed, and also here it is again:
Japanese man tested positive for Coronavirus after returning from trip to Hawaii

Then there's this article that says the first confirmed case in Hawaii was a cruise ship passenger:
First COVID-19 case confirmed in Hawaii
Thanks for the links. So, the first confirmed case in Hawaii was not a Japanese man. No evidence he was patient Zero.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
Thanks for the links. So, the first confirmed case in Hawaii was not a Japanese man. No evidence he was patient Zero.
No, the first case in Hawaii was the Japanese person who stayed in Honolulu at HGV. That was the first time someone was ever COVID+ while in Hawaii in February. I doubt he was "Patient Zero", but we'll probably never know who was...especially with asymptomatic transmission.

Many weeks later, the first Hawaiian resident to be COVID+ was the Oahu cruise passenger.

The point is that this notion that most cases are from tourists that spread or continue to spread disease in Hawaii isn't rooted in any fact or science. Almost all cases, if not all, were state residents traveling back to Hawaii from the mainland...and community spread from there.

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I found it unusual as well.

FWIW, on TV the other day, Caldwell said they (I don't remember who, exactly) "got a call from the White House" (exact words) asking what could be done to help. Surprised me to hear those exact words. Could certainly be related to some existing meetings. Who knows.
The White House COVID response team led by Pence saw Hawaii was in deep trouble and mobilized resources to help. Beyond sending in the Surgeon General to lead the response, they sent in experts to help with contract tracing, provided PPE, funded the surge testing program, sent in military doctors, and sent resources to HIEMA to help navigate new ways of doing things: securing hotels to quarantine or shelter people, building a roadmap to build additional healthcare capacity, and sharing ideas for new/different ways of testing, like having community walk-up testing locations or shutting down highways to use to test to avoid traffic gridlocks. The Feds also walked the administration thtough how to take advantage of existing programs and dollars, like the FEMA unemployment benefit that Trump signed his EO on. Beyond the status calls with governors/regions, Pence uses their dashboards to see where focused attention is needed. Sadly, when positivity rates exceeded 10%, it was a given the Feds would intervene and help here.

The Trump administration response hasn't been perfect, but they have been much more competent and strategic than the local response...not to mention far more efficient. If you ask Caldwell or his team, the COVID response this week compared to last week is a like the difference between night/day. Caldwell is relieved some of the pressure is off with federal resources helping out ...especially on the testing/contact tracing route. And Caldwell was upset that the Surgeon General couldn't linger longer, although a lot of his team remains here to help.

With Congress demanding answers and even Schatz publicly questioning Ige, hopefully enough pressure can be applied to state government so that we can eventually reopen to tourism. Unfortunately, due to their missteps, we have a really hellish next month to get through.
JNelson113 and LETTERBOY like this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 30, 2020 at 11:14 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I love mAui / Hawaii and have absolutely zero idea when I should book flights for April 2021. There’s no way of knowing when it’ll be both legal and safe to go; depends on vaccine more than risks of catching Covid. Plus no need to fly out and be in quarantine, and no need to spend money now that might be tied up for longer than April 2021. I wouldn’t want travel credit.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I mentally lost it last night but fine this morning. Seeing friends lose everything isn’t fun. I’m actually lucky I can leave relatively easy.
Weatherboy, Mary2e and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 6:38 pm

Also, this may not be fully over in 2021. I don’t know much about Hawaii politics, but it seems like the Governor fumbled the ball. It’s going’s to take some time for that great state to sort things out to a point where people can Parasail and Zipline again. This is truly a messed up situation. Even if there’s a vaccine it’s going to take a few months to see it’s effectiveness, but one can dream. Good luck to all there. Things can only get better. Stay positive people of Maui.

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/08...ry-tale-404564
LIH Prem and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Klxp2016
Also, this may not be fully over in 2021. I don’t know much about Hawaii politics, but it seems like the Governor fumbled the ball. It’s going’s to take some time for that great state to sort things out to a point where people can Parasail and Zipline again. This is truly a messed up situation. Even if there’s a vaccine it’s going to take a few months to see it’s effectiveness, but one can dream. Good luck to all there. Things can only get better. Stay positive people of Maui.

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/08...ry-tale-404564
Ige failed, Victorino failed. Good article though.
LETTERBOY and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Klxp2016
Also, this may not be fully over in 2021.
Very unlikely to be over in 2021, and in my estimation, the world will still be fighting this challenge for another five years. When all is said and done (lots of the world is vaccinated), we will likely be left with a situation akin to--but deadlier than the flu-- in which everyone will have to get a yearly or twice-years COVID immunization. Hope I am wrong about this timeline.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
Very unlikely to be over in 2021, and in my estimation, the world will still be fighting this challenge for another five years. When all is said and done (lots of the world is vaccinated), we will likely be left with a situation akin to--but deadlier than the flu-- in which everyone will have to get a yearly or twice-years COVID immunization. Hope I am wrong about this timeline.
Even if the world isn't fighting it, Hawaii's economy will be. Last week HI DBEDT study update believed the travel quarantee would still be lifted this fall and travel would perk up in Q1. But even with that likely overly optimistic view on things, they show Hawaii struggling with depressed tourism through at least 2025. The reality will be worse than that.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
From what I see here now I believe the quarantine WILL extend to AT LEAST Nov 1 if not later. I don't see testing for Oct. 1, JMHO. My business partners are basically assuming quarantine as a requirement for entry until 2021 as sad as that may be. Several of the high end hotels here from what I can see couldn't open earlier if they wanted to. The 4 Seasons on the Big Island is doing some kind of massive renovation now and I don't see it completed by the Holiday Season. At least not a full reopening. The Hilton Time Shares in Waikaloa as I understand are not taking reservations until 2021 but if this has changed or is incorrect please update.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by nomad420
From what I see here now I believe the quarantine WILL extend to AT LEAST Nov 1 if not later. I don't see testing for Oct. 1, JMHO. My business partners are basically assuming quarantine as a requirement for entry until 2021 as sad as that may be. Several of the high end hotels here from what I can see couldn't open earlier if they wanted to. The 4 Seasons on the Big Island is doing some kind of massive renovation now and I don't see it completed by the Holiday Season. At least not a full reopening. The Hilton Time Shares in Waikaloa as I understand are not taking reservations until 2021 but if this has changed or is incorrect please update.
Westin in Kaanapali is doing a major renovation as well. Don’t see the point if you ask me, but should be nice nevertheless.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Westin in Kaanapali is doing a major renovation as well. Don’t see the point if you ask me, but should be nice nevertheless.
It'a actually the perfect time to do renovation work, they aren't losing revenue by taking the hotel out of service right now. What did you mean?

Bruce Anderson (Department of Health) and the Director of Public Safety (prisons) are both out. Did you see that?

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/31/break...-in-september/

-David
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It'a actually the perfect time to do renovation work, they aren't losing revenue by taking the hotel out of service right now. What did you mean?

Bruce Anderson (Department of Health) and the Director of Public Safety (prisons) are both out. Did you see that?

https://mauinow.com/2020/08/31/break...-in-september/

-David
I did, happy to see them gone. Don’t disagree about the Westin but if it were me I wouldn’t spend a dime right now. We are years from recovering at this point.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 8:45 pm

I did, happy to see them gone. Don’t disagree about the Westin but if it were me I wouldn’t spend a dime right now. We are years from recovering at this point.
The larger economy will take a while to recover, but I think tourism will be back next year at properties like this, and meanwhile with the hotel empty, they are employing trades to do the reno work, buying product for the reno.

-David
Boraxo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2020, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The larger economy will take a while to recover, but I think tourism will be back next year at properties like this, and meanwhile with the hotel empty, they are employing trades to do the reno work, buying product for the reno.

-David
Im still focused on Mom coming. My wife agreed that she will ignore quarantine and somehow this will impact me.😄 I wish could laugh but I can’t.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Im still focused on Mom coming. My wife agreed that she will ignore quarantine and somehow this will impact me.😄 I wish could laugh but I can’t.
I wouldn't laugh either.

Can you tell her that if she violates quarantine that she will not be welcome in your home again for a very long time? And that if she is arrested and taken to jail you will not bail her out or come help her in any way? My mother used to tell me that when I was a kid, that if I ever got put in jail she would not bail me out, totally ignoring the fact that I was a bespectacled nerd who wanted nothing more but to be left alone with my books in my room. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.