Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Another interesting thing impacting Hawaii revenue/tourism: property taxes. Many of the large resorts around the state stopped paying their mortgages. And many also stopped paying their property taxes too.

As an example, in Hawaii County, the big resorts on the Kohala coast negotiated with the county to delay the August property tax bills to December. But the properties need revenue from tourists to pay the tax bill due. They hoped with a 9/1 opening, a few months of tourists would help fund those outstanding bills. But with the opening delayed by at least a month, there's growing concern the resorts won't be able to pay the tax bills. The resorts drive a large part of the county budgets.

And then what happens?

Exactly. What happens next? Maybe some of the locals who have been cheering on the lockdown of tourists will start to realize that they are going to eventually have to foot the bill if they want the government funded and will join the other locals who want the tourists back and start putting pressure to open back up.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by mtofell
Alright.... so, it's football season again and after a day of losing sports betting I need something else to gamble on.

Let's say you have $100 to put down on whether or not Hawaii holds to the 10/1 quarantine exemption with a negative Covid test - Yes or No???

For some reason this time feels a bit different. There are a lot of stories about how much the locals are struggling and businesses are closing. After the spike, the number of new cases is on a downswing. Also, the past few months Ige was hinting about delays and I haven't heard much of anything this month (have I missed something?).

I'd put my (pretend) $100 on them keeping the date but I'm often a terrible gambler.

What do you think?
There's a middle ground to this yes/no that is possible. Right now, traveling from Oahu to a neighbor island requires the quarantine. Come 10/1 maybe they lift this requirement with a 72-hour pre-departure negative test result and use it to ring out their system before opening it up to Transpac on 11/1 or 12/1. Sort of a "soft opening". Just a thought.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Any word on the beaches opening back up this week? I believe Friday was to be the last day of shut down. From statements above I am not optimistic.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
FYI, Hilton decided to keep their shuttered hotels closed in Hawaii through November 1 today. I asked them if they had a scoop from the Governor on additional delays to the quarantine program, but they said not yet.

Update: They've decided to keep the Hilton Hawaiian Village on Waikiki Beach closed through at least December 15, 2020.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Last edited by Weatherboy; Sep 14, 2020 at 5:05 pm
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Governor Ige said that October 1 "probably won't happen" to the Star-Advertiser today, adding a more formal announcement will come in the coming days.

It sounds like he's working on a 2 phase program: creating a testing program for local travelers as a test for a few weeks, and maybe rolling it out for transpacific tourists later.

He said he met with travel industry leaders over the weekend, which is probably why resorts pushed their reopen dates to November/December today.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
I'm not sure if you have ever studied science, or for that matter, logic. It is incomprehensible that any thinking person would say that HI's actions had nothing to do with science. I keep trying to ignore your posts, but I feel it is a disservice to let your ill-informed remarks stand without retort.
Define "science"....

It's no secret that we are still trying to figure out the "science" of Covid, partly because we don't really want to accept reality of Covid (it's here to stay folks, there are no quick remedies), and partly because of political interference. Extraordinary measures & sacrifices have been taken, and yet here we are 6 months later still struggling to gain control with no end in sight. Unfortunately whatever is politically expedient and good for optics (votes) seems to trump what limited science we do know.

The fact of the matter is that the response to Covid has been as much an attempt at understanding the science, as it is the political appeasement of people who are looking for answers and reassurance with the minimum of effort. Unfortunately the science is still sketchy, we have no answers, and people lack confidence. A lot of blame to go around. What a dumpster fire!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Alright.... so, it's football season again and after a day of losing sports betting I need something else to gamble on.

Let's say you have $100 to put down on whether or not Hawaii holds to the 10/1 quarantine exemption with a negative Covid test - Yes or No???

I'd put my (pretend) $100 on them keeping the date but I'm often a terrible gambler.

What do you think?
Based on the governor's remarks today, I would put $100 on "no."
nnn, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA
I'm genuinely surprised that the tourism industry does not have much political sway in terms of re-opening of HI. Contrast that to Las Vegas, where it's now pretty much everything goes.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by a5un
I'm genuinely surprised that the tourism industry does not have much political sway in terms of re-opening of HI. Contrast that to Las Vegas, where it's now pretty much everything goes.
I think its by design: Bonvoy, Hyatt, etc are fine with squeezing the little guys. They'll take this time to remodel, refry union relationships, cut wages and benefits, buy up places like KBH or Royal Lahaina (Travassa in Hana is already a big chain now). They will solidify their relationships with local politicians with "gifts", both monetary and by looking the other way while our unskilled politicians tank the economies.
Hyatt, Marriot, etc know they are going to get crushed during this Covid period, but they have the resources to weather the storm. They are solidifying their position for re-opening. Rockefeller used to call it "giving the competition a good sweating". The big corporations have done the math. If we had a Republican governor, we'd be open. But we have Mr. Ige, and so the big corporations are taking another slant on making the best of circumstances. This shut down will end not with Wailea and Kaanapali going back to 1965, as many locals hope. It will end with all the small business gone, and mega chains owning it all. Where Lahaina Coolers was, you'll get "Aloha Brew Pub by Applebees". Instead of CJ's Deli you'll get "Subway at the Fairways". Consolidation, acquisition, hedge funds, Wall St and billionaires: that's how this shut down ends.

BTW, Governor Ige said today, that he will put a fork in October 1 later this week.
nnn, Statman, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
Not sure what there is to disagree about - Weatherboy has highlighted the need for scientific, data-driven policy and pointed out the lack of such currently.

This is clearly relevant to the topic of this thread (When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?).

If the leadership of the Islands cannot use or is unable to use data driven approaches, it will continue to impact the potential re-opening of Hawaii to tourist activity.

David
Sure .. and it can be done without personal opinions of the politicians, which detracts from the message.

-David
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Any word on the beaches opening back up this week? I believe Friday was to be the last day of shut down. From statements above I am not optimistic.
Hawaii County parks and beaches still closed: All state and county closures are in effect at least through Sept. 18, 2020.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Might this make any difference with Gov. Ige's decisions?
Judge rules Gov. Tom Wolf's (of Pennsylvania) pandemic restrictions are unconstitutional
LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by rabilancia
No, IMO. And I believe if someone won a similar case in Hawaii he would immediately appeal it and ask for a stay. He appears to be adamant that "protecting the community" is paramount.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by a5un
Some of the larger union groups are indeed scared of the virus and impacts on the health of their members, so they have been lobbying the governor to stay closed. I imagine that tune will change when UI runs out.
inlanikai and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Hawaii County parks and beaches still closed: All state and county closures are in effect at least through Sept. 18, 2020.
Thanks, I was aware that the closure was in effect until the 18th but no word yet on extension of the closure?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.