Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by 747FC
From what Hawaii data or experience do you draw to posit that Hawaii would have "serious civil unrest" due to economic struggles?

I've been here for a very, very long time, and the only thing close to "civil unrest" I've seen are protest marches and sit-ins against the Vietnam War and against telescopes on Mauna Kea. These kinds of protests are routine behavior on the mainland for a multitude of political and social goals, and are never classified as "civil unrest." Never have I seen the "mainland-routine" rioting that happens when a sports team wins or someone doesn't like how they are treated by the police.

The idea that we are going to have civil unrest, ie., rioting, is ludicrous. And, I don't care what General Hara said about this topic.
What General Hara said makes sense to me and I would put a lot of faith in his opinion.

Civil unrest generally comes about when people feel oppressed by the government or that they are in some sort of unfair situation that can be rectified. All may be fine now that the unemployment checks are flowing, but that can't and won't go on forever. When people do not have money for rent and food, things may change. I would daresay that Hawaii has never been in this kind of a situation before, either. Just my prediction, and I deeply hope that it doesn't come to that. We can agree to disagree.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
From what Hawaii data or experience do you draw to posit that Hawaii would have "serious civil unrest" due to economic struggles?

I've been here for a very, very long time, and the only thing close to "civil unrest" I've seen are protest marches and sit-ins against the Vietnam War and against telescopes on Mauna Kea. These kinds of protests are routine behavior on the mainland for a multitude of political and social goals, and are never classified as "civil unrest." Never have I seen the "mainland-routine" rioting that happens when a sports team wins or someone doesn't like how they are treated by the police.

The idea that we are going to have civil unrest, ie., rioting, is ludicrous. And, I don't care what General Hara said about this topic.
While I totally agree I would say that I have spoken to more than a few islanders that are, well, disgruntled to say the least. My own in-laws are looking to move off the Big Island ASAP after 50 years there as their vacation rental business needless to say isn't doing well. This was compounded by poor tourism for about 6 to 9 during the recent volcano irruption. "Civil unrest" ... agree not likely. I have to ask though, it sounds like you live there, do you work in the tourism/hospitality industry?
Old May 20, 2020, 4:57 pm

Part of this may be the definition of civil unrest--to me it means loud angry protests, maybe a few scuffles.
Old May 20, 2020, 7:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by usedtobeimportant
Your conflating laws with values.

Could you imagine the protests that would have happened if the USA has had a lockdown like Spain (no going out even for exercise) for seven weeks?

Just look upstream in this topic for an example of some behavior. A few people have mentioned guns if they were asked to quarantine in a hotel rather than their own homes. Yet in Australia and New Zealand that's exactly what people were expected to do and did. No protests, guns etc because there value system is more towards common good.
You misuse the word "conflate". I was surprised that the Japanese value of group good was not more strongly reflected in its laws relating to its ability to control the movement of people to contain a virus. No lockdown here, yet a low number of deaths like in AUS and NZ. You are over generalizing on the topic of individualism vs. the common good and what measures you think have caused the elimination of the virus in certain countries to support your position.
Old May 20, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
I would say 99% sure it won’t happen. The problem is that the quarantine could look to be ending June 30, then a few days before that they extend another 30 days etc .
As a quarterly traveler over to Hawaii for work I am being very realistic that 2020 could be a complete bust for trips over. Once I know it’s been for sure lifted then I will plan a trip over and I guarantee there will be rules in place for arrivals such as testing right before leaving , testing on landing etc. It’s not going to be fun especially for a family vacation that so many do in Hawaii.
My other personal fear is if by some chance I do get sick while staying on the outer islands (Maui/Big Island/Kauai) it could be a real issue for healthcare and lack of it. They have very limited resources and it could be scary if things got overwhelmed. I will be staying in Honolulu for the near future and doing day trips to the outer islands for meetings.
I agree CBrown. Also, you bring up a good point of getting sick and stressing the healthcare or not having any available would be really scary. I am probably going to bite the bullet and shift everything out to thanksgiving.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
I'm flying in on June 17th to begin a new gig with DoD.

I will be tested before I get out there (again) and fully expect to be in a hotel room for 14 days and working from there on my GOV Laptop.

Just need to find a hotel now that has DOD daily rates for my per diem.

Keep folks from working and not being able to pay bills/rent/food.....it will happen.

I know a lot of locals that have had it with Ige....
ksucats likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 21, 2020 at 5:16 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 20, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
There was a good article that sums up what many locals feel. There has always been talk before all this that they were too dependent on tourism and now that’s come clear. In times like this you will see people change and innovate . Some will go back to tourism jobs but there is no way for 2020 into 2021 you will have 30k per day arriving thus able to support all those jobs pre Covid-19
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...waiis-economy/

There is a very different mentality from the Mainland US. Culture and family are very important and as others have mentioned about the only protests you will see is when they attempt to build a telescope on Mauna Kea or something to that effect and again that shows what’s important to them and I think it’s wonderful.
Let’s let Hawaii breath, figure out their future direction and as the article says there will be a rebirth after when the time is right
HawaiiSailor likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K
There was a good article that sums up what many locals feel.
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...waiis-economy/
Not exactly the opinion of, "many locals." There's one family mentioned. The 623 person survey is only to do with income loss... nothing to do with an opinion of the shutdown. The only direct quote from a member of the one family is someone identified as a school teacher.... who is undoubtedly still being paid. Easy to agree with the lockdown when it's not taking food off your table.
msp3 likes this.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell
Not exactly the opinion of, "many locals." There's one family mentioned. The 623 person survey is only to do with income loss... nothing to do with an opinion of the shutdown. The only direct quote from a member of the one family is someone identified as a school teacher.... who is undoubtedly still being paid. Easy to agree with the lockdown when it's not taking food off your table.
that was an example. I personally participated in a call of 34 people from all over Hawaii yesterday and the overwhelming response was the same. Just speaking of personal experience...
Old May 21, 2020, 8:52 am

In your very, very long time in Hawaii, how you ever experienced anything remotely similar to the impacts of Covid-19?
Old May 21, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
The vibe I feel here on Oahu is definitely not civil unrest. Even without the tourists, it's much more of an optimistic feeling, with people visiting the malls (which are now open), going to drive-in movies, and hanging out at the beach. People are happy that restaurants might open in two weeks (I think the anticipated date that the Lieutenant Governor gave in his daily video yesterday is June 5th, which is of course subject to change). And reading the local news every day, I don't have any concern about widespread civil unrest. I'm sure there are some small groups that might want to provoke something, just as there always are, everywhere. And even if that were to happen, it seems very unlikely that it would be anything significant or widespread.

There is a very different mentality from the Mainland US. Culture and family are very important and as others have mentioned about the only protests you will see is when they attempt to build a telescope on Mauna Kea or something to that effect and again that shows what’s important to them and I think it’s wonderful. Let’s let Hawaii breath, figure out their future direction and as the article says there will be a rebirth after when the time is right
This is the feeling I get here on Oahu also. Other islands (with less population) might have a different feeling, and some people are very unhappy, I'm sure. But it certainly seems like the majority of people here are dealing with this well and are happy that things are moving forward, however slowly it feels.
Old May 21, 2020, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let’s let Hawaii breath, figure out their future direction and as the article says there will be a rebirth after when the time is right
"Time is right" is not a criteria - this is not a marriage proposal...
There won't be on/off safe to travel switch - they have to set some thresholds instead of this wait and see approach..
JNelson113 and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 12:42 pm

that was an example. I personally participated in a call of 34 people from all over Hawaii yesterday and the overwhelming response was the same. Just speaking of personal experience...
Serious question, where do they get income? Are they independently wealthy? Hawaii has something like a 40% unemployment rate right now. I'm just wondering how this leads to long term happiness in the population. Just curious, thanks for the information.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Troopers
In your very, very long time in Hawaii, how you ever experienced anything remotely similar to the impacts of Covid-19?
Even when Hawaii was under martial law during WW2, and citizens were being rounded up for confinement, there was no civil unrest.
Tanic, msp3 and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Just an observation, but rental cars stand out like a sore thumb since there are so few. Locals definitely wonder if they are violating quarantine.

I also find it interesting that people rarely make eye contact now if I’m in the store if a complete stranger.😥 I’m guilty as well..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.